The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    LINKSHARE -DO SOMETHING about slow paying merchants!
    I sent $35,242 in sales to Linkshare in May and June.

Guess what my 2 July checks were?

7/10/2006 Domestic ACH 9.47 USD
    7/21/2006 Domestic ACH 25.95 USD

If you'd like me to continue promoting the few Linkshare merchants I have left, YOU'LL need to find a way to get your merchants to pay on time.
    Last edited by Billy Kay; July 23rd, 2006 at 02:41 PM.

Mine isn't quite that egregious, but I do have some merchants who I haven't seen a dime from in months. It is really disappointing when you have major and brick and click operations that cannot seem to find value in paying their affiliates on time. It's not like they do not have the cash flow.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

15 years and counting
    I've not seen an improvement since I signed up with them. I had a quick look at that graph in SynergyAnalytics and it shows the bulk of my commissions earned in December were paid in March and April.
    A few companies are prompt to pay like Overstock but I don't know too many of them. LinkShare should have an escrow account for each of their merchants, it's the only way to speed up the process.

LinkShare should have an escrow account for each of their merchants, it's the only way to speed up the process.
    I was thinking just that myself.

If I make only thirty bucks from an entire network - not just one indie merchant - then there's a problem that needs to be addressed.

Internet Cowboy
    The float that the merchant gets on commissions is part of Linkshare's sales pitch and part of how they justify their outrageous initial setup fees.
    To think that they give a damn about affiliates getting paid on time is a fairy tale.

I only promote companies that have a good payment history. There are other companies I would gladly promote, but only if they had a history of paying promptly.

Linkshare loses, I lose, and the merchant loses.

However, there is a potential workaround. There are a few merchants in Linkshare that I convert great for but are slow payers -- Even though I lose a few bucks, I promote them with Axill and have money in my account within 7 business days -- versus 3 months...

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hey Billy,

Sorry to hear about your slow paying merchants. If possible, try to take a look at Linkshare's "Premium" merchants. In order to be "Premium", you have to pay within 30 days of receiving affiliate payments invoice.

-Michael

Uhh... in my case... my merchants ARE premium merchants

But that's a subject for another thread

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Uhh... in my case... my merchants ARE premium merchants

But that's a subject for another thread
    Yikes, nevermind then.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    I sent $35,242 in sales to Linkshare in May and June.

Guess what my 2 July checks were?

7/10/2006 Domestic ACH 9.47 USD
    7/21/2006 Domestic ACH 25.95 USD

If you'd like me to continue promoting the few Linkshare merchants I have left, YOU'LL need to find a way to get your merchants to pay on time.
    Okay, since I'm new, I'm gonna ask newbie questions...

Why would ANYONE want to spend the time and the bandwidth promoting this "Linkshare" business op if the ROI is as paltry as I see here. This is embarassingly bad considering the amount of sales generated. Honestly, I am apalled for you. Makes me want to join just so I can experience this first hand so that I can create a site telling the world how bad this company is at enlisting merchants who don't reward affiliates.

Tell me if I'm way off base here. I don't want to be unreasonable.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Why would ANYONE want to spend the time and the bandwidth promoting this "Linkshare" business op if the ROI is as paltry as I see here.
    IT BEATS ME!!!

I ripped down all the links I could find to that sorry excuse for a network years ago.

I can see them getting the noobs, but it defies sense that people deal with them once they see that payment is so unreliable. Heck, "unreliable" is too mild a term. You'd probably have a better chance of winning the Daily 4 [lottery] than of getting a timely payment out of Snare (or many of their merchants)!

Tell me if I'm way off base here.
    IMO you're on the money. Snare sucks irredeemably. Logically, they should have died horribly years ago. How they manage to stay in business despite their merchants' awful payment record baffles me. Sure, they have a few merchants who actually know how to cut checks before hell freezes to the point of brittleness, but as this thread shows, they (as always) have many who do not.

I ain't trying to disrespect anybody here with their thought...But LS has made me some good dough. I found some good LS merchants and all is well..The name of the game is research...Some sh*tty, some GREAT...Stick with great and the ROI will be higher than C&C....

ABW Ambassador
    It's slow that's for sure and I wish they paid sooner but I do get paid. There are a lot of slow paying merchants at Performics too, but eventually they pay. It would be nice if Amazon paid monthly instead of quarterly, but I get paid.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader

IMO you're on the money. Snare sucks irredeemably. Logically, they should have died horribly years ago. How they manage to stay in business despite their merchants' awful payment record baffles me. Sure, they have a few merchants who actually know how to cut checks before hell freezes to the point of brittleness, but as this thread shows, they (as always) have many who do not.
    My experience with LS is that their "big name" merchants don't convert at all or, if they do, I never got the benefit of commissions. When I first started AM, I found quite a few "perfect" LS merchants to promote. After sending THOUSANDS of visitors to these sites, not a sale was ever recorded. Took me a few years before I figured out that the bigger the merchant name, the worse they converted (or something more sinister). I don't see this pattern with other networks and so I had a serious issue with LS until I started reading forums like ABW where people told me it's the merchant's fault, not the network's but I still found an intolerable amount of non-converting merchants at LS. Sure, there are non-converting (or whatever) merchants on all the networks but not as blatant. Maybe it's their TOS that attracts the a$$holes who resent paying commission on sales they wouldn't have had without their affiliates. The only reason I've given LS another chance is because of merchants on ABW who I trust.

ALL networks should demand an escrow account if they're doing their jobs. That's part of what the allure of network merchants is: a TRUSTED third party to ensure fair and honorable treatment from and for all parties, otherwise they're just another pimp with a different stable of talent.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    IT BEATS ME!!!
    Thx for your reply, Leader! I'll definitely research them, and appreciate the alternative viewpoint. To me, if a retailer or supplier of merchant opportunites do not follow thru on the benefit they received, they should not only know about such indiscretions, but they should be discarded from an affiliate's program. Although a pain in the rear, I'm sure some litigation could be ensued. The question is really, "Is it worth it?" Probably not, just too damned expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by melty
    ...But LS has made me some good dough. I found some good LS merchants and all is well..The name of the game is research...Some sh*tty, some GREAT...Stick with great and the ROI will be higher than C&C....
    All viewpoints are important, and I doubt anyone was talking absolute. But, if the majority believes it and has experienced it, that's far too many to disregard. However, finding the "GREAT" is truly the rub. And if it means losing money left and right to find them, then it just seems like a waste of time.

However, nice to hear you are doing well. Anytime you want to publish the "GREAT" ones by personal experience, then this gesture would certainly help those who are not fairing well with sucky merchants. I know I would thank you!

What about the merchants in SAS , do they pay on time?

I'm down to only three merchants that I promote at LS and one of them is just taking forever to pay. They are the only merchant of their type so I keep them, but for the life of me I don't see LS holdling up their part of the bargain, saying consilidated payments were to get me my money faster.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by best123
    Hey best123,

Yes, SAS merchants are required to have a balance with SAS from which affiliates are paid. The only problem occurs when the merchant goes to "low funds". SAS, however, has a fix for this as well, with their auto deposit feature, allowing merchants to automatically replenish their funds.

Quote Originally Posted by best123
    I believe they pre-pay...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Nunez
    Hey best123,

Yes, SAS merchants are required to have a balance with SAS from which affiliates are paid. The only problem occurs when the merchant goes to "low funds". SAS, however, has a fix for this as well, with their auto deposit feature, allowing merchants to automatically replenish their funds.
    Thank you.

I did see some merchants in SAS with a "low funds" in red font - didnt know what it meant, now I know.

from one of my merchants:

There was a billing error on the part of LinkShare which required some
    adjustments. Payment has been made and you will receive your commission
    shortly.
    Well Linkshare... if it was YOUR fault, feel free to correct the situation and fedex my commissions - rather then have affiliates wait until the next month's payments

(I can dream, can't I?)

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I do not think that LS will change that system any time soon. Not that we pay late but I think they never think that it is important to affialites.

I am just wondering about how the big guys are working around this? i.e. Upromise, Fatwallet cos I assume that they drive a lot of sales to those merchants. Either they have priority over the other affiliates or something is going on behind the scenes cos upromise and Fatwallet guys might not tolerate this things.

To chip in on the Premium Merchant, it is the average of 3 months that takes into account. So if they pay very early the first month, they can slack on the 2nd month and so forth. So the average that weights in when it comes to Premium merchant status.

Have there been cases in any affiliate network where a merchant never pays.

It is understandable if they don't or can't pay due to company closing down, but what about otherwise.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread