Inbox Dollars
    Does anyone know if Inbox Dollars is on the up and up? I just had a member report that she signed up through Entertainment Rewards on my website and within a day, her husband's Inbox account was credited with $8. I don't have any experience with them at all to know whether they are using any kind of downloads or not, but it ticked me off! I was really promoting the heck out of those coupons to my members this week. I'm wondering if this is isolated or if I might be losing more money? I'm definitely going to check with my CPA tomorrow but thought the "wise ones" here would probably have better information!

Tricia
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

I don't know if this is the same InboxDollars or not. It was one of the paid to read email programs where a member would just click a link in one of the emails that they sent to them and visit the site the link was for. They would then receive a very small amount for doing so. They used to also reward members for signing up to do surveys, other sites, etc. I don't know if anything has changed or not. If it is the same program they were one of the earlier paid to read email sites and has managed to survive. Don't know if they have any downloads or not.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Inbox Dollars is an advertising scam similar to autosurfs, but they send the stuff to your inbox via email instead of your browser.

In this scam, you are the one causing unknowing advertisers (who pay for the ads but don't always know where they get distributed / shown) to incur ad fees. Inbox dollars keeps most of the money and kicks you a few cents for each fraudulent viewing / clciking / cpa action you take. If the FTC ever comes after them, they'll blame you - you're just an ad fraud cover story. Read their terms and conditions for all the loopholes where they can avoid paying you. Search a few forums and you'll see they've got a bad reputation as well.

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    Wink
    Well I signed up with IBD about a 18 months ago. (Before I learned about Affiliate Marketing) I did a few surveys clicked on a few links and earned about 40 dollars in a few months I asked for a check and got it things started to slow down after that there were no more things to click on except the 5 cent emails. I was getting like 2 or 3 a day I would just click and delete and the pennys kept going in. They suggested I put a link in my email sig so I did and a few others signed up through these email links and I started noticing a very small amount of money comming in through these singons (like 40 cents over 3 months I had about 15 dollars saved so I joined thier "Golden Program" I got a few referell through that and over the next 3 months I earned another 15 dollars By this time I started my Real Estate Business so I used 10 dollars on Account to by 10000 impressions in thier advertising banner ad program for my real estate site I did this 2 times (having earned another 10 dollars when I ordered some free vista print cards thru them getting about a 100 clicks for each ad buy this resulted in one client and earned me 3000 dollars in commisions but then My RE business fell apart. I started a CafePress store a month later and had earned another 5 dollars in various things (they had started a survey program that earned a dollar a survey if you qualified I qualified about once a week) So I bought another ad buy. I then started affiliate marketing about a month later I have since earned another 10 dollars and did one more ad buy. Each of these ad buys have had a MUCH lower turnaround (about 20 clicks each) and I cancelled my account last month all in all I wasn't displeased I only got about 2 to 4 emails a day from them and occassionally got some "good deals" like the vista print cards and the "free ad buys) I never got a forced download. And As far as I could tell no cookies were stuffed (of course I also had done no online buying that whole last year) I clean my cookies every week anyway. The only reason I really quit was my email box is getting fuller every day and I no longer have as much time for those pennies. (My wife still does it but we have seperate computers and IP addresses so her stuff doesn't affect my business and she also cleans her cookies prior to shopping now)
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Helpingmoms, I am guessing that member's husband got credited because they share the same computer and he had visited the Entertainment Rewards site using our affiliate link first, before that member visited using yours. I'm sorry to hear that you did not receive credit on your end but please note that we get the same questions from our members all the time, but vice-versa, depending on if that member visited a particular advertiser offer previously, using another affiliate's link without clearing cookies. This is the only explanation I can think of. I would LOVE for it to be always the case where a particular affiliate gets credited if he/she actually caused the sale.

Donuts, I'm curious to know what you mean by "stuff"? Do you mean that we send advertisements and marketing offers to our members? We certainly do, and we pay them for their time to read the email. Do we send any spyware/parasites or any type of downloads whatsoever in our email? Absolutely not. Our site is free to join, and our concept is simply that we will pay people to participate in various advertiser product trials and services. I assume it is working out for our advertisers as well because we have many wonderful relationships with direct advertisers as well as top tier affiliate networks. We never provide "forced incentives" to our members either, such as by offering gifts in order to make people complete offers.

I realize that there are some affiliates who think that paying their customers will reduce their own profits and choose not to do so, but this has been our model since we started back in 2000, and will continue to be that way. Do we have dissatisfied members? There are people who say they did not get paid for completing certain offers, for the same reason described above with Helpingmoms. However, we make every effort to ensure credit to our members if we received credit. A huge part of our marketing efforts is viral based, and if we did not pay our members, we would not be around 6 years later, I can promise you that.

If anyone has any questions or feedback, feel free to contact me through our site.

Thanks, Joseph. When I checked with my affiliate manager, she basically told me the same thing. I had three reported incidents of it, which was really strange. And it was only the Entertainment Rewards and not any of the other lead offers that we both have listed (like Blockbuster, Stamps, etc). Kind of odd.

Thankfully, the members did not feel ripped off because they at least got their credit *somewhere*.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Donuts, I'm curious to know what you mean by "stuff"? Do you mean that we send advertisements and marketing offers to our members? We certainly do, and we pay them for their time to read the email.
    Yep, I meant what you said. "Ads and marketing offers" = "stuff" in my sentence. Nothing insidious implied by my "stuff" reference. That's not what's sent that bugs me about your service, although I'm more than sure that your system attracts the dregs of advertisers barrel. It's the motivation / expectation canyon that exists between the advertisers and the consumers that I dislike along with syndication activities today that make it very hard for many advertisers that appear in your services to even know they're there. Your very, very poor conversion rates, which come directly from your business models intended structure, also directly tarnishes ad participants overall stats, which are often public (and therefore damaging) and can cause less-than-savvy webmasters to misinterpret their click stats (that parts not your fault at all).

So basically I just think you're junk traffic. To your credit though, the price you charge for junk is a low price. I argue it's not worth it anyway. But, at least you're not running around comparing yourself to AdWords or other consumer-actually-has-an-expressed-interest search engine type traffic source or viewer-is-on-a-related-themed-website contextual traffic source. So good for you Mr. Junkman, at least you're not pretending to be something you're not. It sounds sarcastic, but I genuinely applaud you for being fairly straight forward about what you offer and bluntly saying exactly why the consumer will see those ads (you pay them to view them).

People interested in earning nickels for getting their inbox packed with untargeted ads are not my ideal demographic. And I assert that a serious minded affiliate should focus on who is on the other end of your system and how unlikely they are to place an order.

I know people who've tried your services and I've also worked closely with merchants in aff recruiting, vetting and weeding (so I've seen the referral urls and resultant stats as well). You're not the sort of traffic source I recommend to merchants. But hey, I'm all kinds of biased and hell-bent on performance marketing success and actually selling stuff - so it's unlikely that your model would ever please me.

I assume it is working out for our advertisers as well because we have many wonderful relationships with direct advertisers as well as top tier affiliate networks.
    As THE involved ad middleman / network, "I assume" is a very weak statement that says a lot to people reading your post. Even with my obvious (and explained) biases against your business model, I am certain you can do better than "assume". Become an aff, eat your own dogfood and publish the results for dissection.

Name-calling (my "Mr. Junkman" reference) was childish and uncalled for. I retract that and apologize for it as well.

Internet Cowboy
    What IBD is doing is artificial advertising. My guess is that your advertisers convert on this traffic at a rate of less than 1/100,000. Perhaps if it is the goal of your advertiser to trick the user into providing their email address or download some crapware, conversion might be a little higher. Otherwise I'd bet you are in the .00001 club.

Have one of your satisfied advertisers post in this thread that they know where this "traffic" comes from and that they actually make sales with it without the user downloading a BHO, knowingly or not. You will not be able to do this because that is a myth.

Donuts, without getting into specifics on a public board (I'll be happy to communicate with you or anyone in private if you like), I can tell you that your own assumption of quality being terrible is far off in many instances, and probably close to being true in some. It completely DEPENDS on the product or service being advertised. You completely picked on that "assumption" word and ran with it, and I probably mistyped, but my intention was to say not that I assume that our advertisers like the traffic but rather to say that I know that our advertisers like the traffic but am *assuming* this is because it actually converts. Hope you understand and appreciate the difference. Our model (and not just the "get paid" aspect but everything we offer) produces powerful membership loyalty, brand recognition and retention and believe it or not, this is worth something to our advertisers. I do realize there are many imitation sites that offer cash to get people to signup for offers, but again I'll be happy to discuss in private exactly what, but having been around since 2000, there are certain things we do differently that keeps both ends (advertisers and members) happy.

UncleScooter, you guess wrong.
    Last edited by seWEB; July 27th, 2006 at 03:15 PM.

Converting me to believe your methods work well is useless, my mind is way beyond made up on autosurfs and pay-per-view ads via email or otherwise. And as I explained before, it's not just an assumption but based on real stats from real affiliates in your specific program. I will admit that I am assuming that because what I've seen doesn't work (detailed review of less than a dozen merchants where it totalled few dozen affs who used you), nothing will work. While that may be a reach by some definitions or perspectives, for me, I've seen way more than enough to make up my mind.

I still assert use of hyperbole like "powerful" is way crazy overstating things, but I understand your motives.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Name-calling (my "Mr. Junkman" reference) was childish and uncalled for. I retract that and apologize for it as well.
    Yes, please change that reference to "Fred Sanford"
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Poop, I'm curious as to which affiliate program you miss managing while posting here.

With regards to your comment, if you said "Robin Hood" I could at least understand where you are coming from.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread