Tivo vs DVR - what's in a name
    So, the previous thread of "What's your favorite TV show" got me thinking about a discussion I'm constantly having with a friend of mine.

She is a "true" Tivo owner (the actual brand) and I have a DVR through my cable company. She insists that I not say, "I'm going to Tivo something" because I do not have an "actual" Tivo. This has forced me to coin the phrase "Deever" for DVR, as in, "I'm going to Deever The Simpsons".

Anyone else run into a "Tivo snobs" that make this argument? Or are we just two sad, sad individuals who have nothing better to discuss?

BTW, as punishment, I've made her stop saying Q-tip and start using cotton swab because she buys the store brand.

I don't know why, but I think that is hilarious. I think you both probably have to much time on your hands. Maybe you should become "friends with benefits".

I think my favorite part is trying to picture her reaction every time that you say that you're going to "deever" something. The eye roll that you get must be amazing.

Sheri

Quote Originally Posted by Sheri
    I don't know why, but I think that is hilarious. I think you both probably have to much time on your hands. Maybe you should become "friends with benefits".

I think my favorite part is trying to picture her reaction every time that you say that you're going to "deever" something. The eye roll that you get must be amazing.

Sheri
    The friends with benefits thing is a good idea, but as it stands, she's actually my ex (girlfriend, not wife). So, I don't think that would be a good idea, but I like the way you're thinking!

OK, so maybe not such a good idea. Maybe this type of thing is why your are exes in the first place.

As a marketing guy, you should be able to explain to her that your desire to call your DVR "tivoing" something is just because TiVo has done a brilliant job of branding their product.

For the very same reason she calls a cotton swab a "Q-Tip".

Other brands that are in the same category:

Coke = all colas
    Band-Aid = bandage strips
    Jacuzzi = all whirlpool baths
    Kleenex - all tissues

I could go on and on.

Personally, I think she is trying to push your buttons.

Sheri

Quote Originally Posted by Sheri

Personally, I think she is trying to push your buttons.

Sheri

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one.

Now you'll excuse me, I have to go get myself a Coke while using a Q-tip to clean out the jets in my Jacuzzi. Afterwards, I'll use a Kleenex and then throw it in a Dumpster (<---there's one of my own).

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Thanks Donuts! I can't wait until I see her again...we've got A LOT to talk about

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    Talking
    I just say "record" wether it be on a DVR a VCR or a TIVO it is still just recording it. Sometimes I say "Burn" or even "save" I rarely say "Tivo"

BTW I also say "Nuke" for Microwaving food.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Yeah, I use tape too. Hold over from the old VCR days. Soon enough, kids won't even know what that means!

As far as the microwave goes, I always like to say that I'm giving my food a little "Radar Love"

I pitty the fool who has tivo no HDTV support. bah humbug give e my cable companies dvr so i can deever my shows in HD.

I know it's a little off topic, but has anyone built their own PVR? I've been considering building a Sage.TV PVR using a spare computer. Some of the things you can do with it that you can't with some/most of the commercial PVRs:

* HD recording
    * Record from multiple sources, like Cable, broadcast, HD broadcast, etc.
    * Rip DVDs so you can easily access your entire DVD library.
    * Access the web, weather, music, photo albums, etc.
    * Add networked "Media Extenders" ($110 wired, $160 wireless, $30 for PCs) throughout the house (or even PCs remotely) that can access everything.
    * Access free program guides, DVD and CD artwork, channel logos, etc.
    * Remove commercials.
    * No subscription fees and you own the hardware.

I've been dying to build one and replace my Dish PVR, but I just haven't been able to justify the time it would take.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    I pitty the fool who has tivo no HDTV support. bah humbug give e my cable companies dvr so i can deever my shows in HD.
    I agree. Why would I pay all that money for a HDTV and then have to watch recorded programs in standard definition? Long live the Deever!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I know it's a little off topic, but has anyone built their own PVR? I've been considering building a Sage.TV PVR using a spare computer. Some of the things you can do with it that you can't with some/most of the commercial PVRs:

* HD recording
    * Record from multiple sources, like Cable, broadcast, HD broadcast, etc.
    * Rip DVDs so you can easily access your entire DVD library.
    * Access the web, weather, music, photo albums, etc.
    * Add networked "Media Extenders" ($110 wired, $160 wireless, $30 for PCs) throughout the house (or even PCs remotely) that can access everything.
    * Access free program guides, DVD and CD artwork, channel logos, etc.
    * Remove commercials.
    * No subscription fees and you own the hardware.

I've been dying to build one and replace my Dish PVR, but I just haven't been able to justify the time it would take.

I've read about these, but never pulled the trigger when it comes to building one. I think the issues that I ran into were that the spare pc's I had laying around the house needed to be upgraded to handle the load/storage. Throw in the tuner card(s) and you'll end up spending more than you would on a dedicated DVR. Just my .02.

The whole-house networking was the biggest appeal to me. Right now, our DVR is in the living room. If we want to watch a movie in a different room, we can't.

Plus, being able to record HD and multiple programs at the same time.

Also, I hate being tied to Dish with their PVR.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I'm interested to know how it goes if you decide to do it.

I've done the exact opposite many times, referring to Tivo as DVR. My parents are avid "Tivo'ers" and I myself have DVR. So if I ever get in discussion with them about a show I know they record...I would say, did you remember to DVR it last night and they ALWAYS correct me...and say, we "Tivo'd" it. Does it really matter what device you used?! You recorded it...plain and simple. lol. They swear by TiVo...and I think they talk about it more then anything else in their lives. They may even have pictures of their TiVo in their wallets... But I am perfectly happy with my DVR.
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread