More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Question % of Phone Modems Used?
    I know this has been probably asked many times, but the answer keeps changing as high speed becomes more readily available.

Does anyone know the latest figure on % of internet users using phone modem vs. high speed?

(I am talking about the general public, not strictly you folks.)
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    "The research and audience measurement firm estimates that 68 percent of active Internet home users in the U.S. have broadband connections."

http://www.redherring.com/Article.as...netAndServices

A whopping 62 percent of users surveyed reported getting to cyberspace via high-speed connection, while 34 percent said they still used analog modems — and many said they liked it that way.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,200606,00.html

A phone modem? What is that

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    A phone modem? What is that
    I have no idea. I kind of remember reading about something like that in a history book...

http and a telephoto
    Too many still use dial up... I can list off 10 people I personally know that are actually heavy internet users and run online businesses that *have* to still use dial up because they don't have access to high speed yet. And these are folks all over the US. They bug their cable company and phone companies constantly for high speed but it is unavailable still.... I personally won't live where I can't get cable access... but I have been lucky enough to be able to make that choice...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I have no idea. I kind of remember reading about something like that in a history book...
    Its the one that makes noise like

kling kshhhhhhhhhhh kling kling kling khssssssss and then either makes or breaks the connection

I used it for like 5 years! after i switched to cable, I'll never go back.

But some people don't have a choice, if cable internet is not available in their area they are forced to use dial-up.

Google is making free wireless (right now slow and insecure) internet available in San Fran area, i think this trend will spread to many cities, then we'll have everyone connnected.

sometimes when traveling about i still have no choice but to use one. i think the internet in general will get to a point where you have to have high speed to access most things, if it is not there already. i hate it when im stuck with a dial up connection and can't get things to load or have to wait 10 mins for each page....still its the minimum requirement. if they have at least dial up access i can stay around for awhile.

So, if one has a very slow loading page, about 1 out of 3 may possibly abandon the page. I guess I will keep testing my pages over my inlaw's modem.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Internet Cowboy
    12.18% of the visitors to my main sites are on dialup. That is way too many.

Hell, I still meet people now and then in their 30's & 40's who don't own a computer. I have one word to say about that. Growth!!

http and a telephoto
    I worked for millionaire doctors that didn't have computers yet....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I guess I will keep testing my pages over my inlaw's modem.
    I did a quick G for "page load time test" and found websiteoptimization.com. I tested one of my pages real quick. See if you can use it. There are others out there similar.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    I did a quick G for "page load time test" and found websiteoptimization.com. I tested one of my pages real quick. See if you can use it. There are others out there similar.
    I just checked my site at http://www.websiteoptimization.com/s...yze/index.html
    (Good tool!)

A javascript application was the big culprit as I suspected. I was surprised however to find a simple affiliate ad eating up almost as much for loading time.
    (I just removed the one unneeded ad and page load time was decreased from 21 sec on a 56Kb to 15 seconds).

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    12.18% of the visitors to my main sites are on dialup.
    Tell that to the telecommunications companies! I'm one of Loxly's 10 friends that she could think of that still have dialup. My telco (which will remain nameless since I am also an affiliate of their services ) doesn't offer broadband to my area and the same with the cable company. You would think the calls twice a month asking can you hear me now would give them a clue.

Unfortunately there are tons of areas like mine around the country. I don't think people really choose dialup anymore as much as they don't have a choice of something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxly
    Too many still use dial up... I can list off 10 people I personally know that are actually heavy internet users and run online businesses that *have* to still use dial up because they don't have access to high speed yet.
    My ears are burning! ;-D I'm exactly that. I live way out in the country in Central California and with a 56Kb modem the best connection we can get is 24Kb. (I use adblock to reduce the number of ads that have to be downloaded and often toggle image loading off until I know I want to see something.) We're not going to live here forever, but for now, that's it.

I run about 20 sites online too.

:-D
    Kristen

also frontpage has a load time indicator on the bottom right hand corner. it's not 100% accurate, but good for a benchmark i spose.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread