New Toy - "SkyFly"
    you know you've been surfing the internet a bit too long when a youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEs3Mx2YooA

convinces you that you should buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ETTPP8

actually, bought on ebay for about $97 including shipping. and it was the positive reviews i saw online that really sold me. i haven't flown one of these things in years, can't wait!

Please let me know how it flys ZDIG. I promised my grandson a remote plane and he is still waiting. I am trying to find the right one that is easy to fly.

Internet Cowboy
    I have flown RC airplanes since the '70s. They are LOTS of fun. Of course, this one will only lead to one that is bigger, faster and more maneuverable.
    Have fun with it. It is a great hobby!
    Here is a photo of my latest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My pops and I used to head out to the RC field quite a bit when I was younger. He was big into it then. If there's one thing i'll never forget, is the smell of the fuel you had to use for these planes.

After that, he was heavy into Ultralights - now that was fun!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

i'll post after i fly it and let you know what i think, from a beginner's point of view.

the chances of me crashing it within the first few flights are pretty high, but this plane's parts are cheap to replace and the whole thing wasn't too much.

a friend of mine bought an expensive plane a few years ago and hadn't flown in years, he spent a lot of money and time getting the plane ready, and he crashed it (hard) on the first flight and i'm pretty sure he was so frustrated he hasn't flown one since!

by the way, while searching around for rc planes i didn't see a lot of affiliate sites...niche anyone?

I bought something like this for the boys and I to play with. Just about the time I got the controls figured out to keep it aloft, it landed in the top of tree. Took some work, but we got it down. Next week we are taking it out to the local multi field soccer complex where we have more room and no trees.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdig
    by the way, while searching around for rc planes i didn't see a lot of affiliate sites...niche anyone?
    That is because there are no decent hobby sites with an affiliate program. Hobbytron has a few things, but their site and datafeed are such a frickin mess that it is a joke.

We need a good hobby merchant. The best place to buy RC airplanes, cars, boats or most any hobby item is TowerHobbies.com. I have sicked several AM's on them, but apparently no luck. I even had Todd call them when he was with CJ. Their site rocks and I would promote them at 2% over Hobbytron at 10% any day.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    That Amazon links leads to the product and there you'll find the name and a step more and you find this site:
    http://www.redrockethobbies.com/affiliate_info.asp

R/C Hobby stuff, with an Affiliate Program (5% comms). Looks like an affiliate version of these guys: hobbyshopnow.com. Looks like an in-house indie.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    You could also sell their stuff via Amazon I suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    You could also sell their stuff via Amazon I suppose...
    You could use Amazon or eBay for hobby stuff, but there does seem to be a total lack of hobby merchants. If TowerHobbies or one other other top hobby sites got a good program going, they could probably kill it!

Internet Cowboy
    I know what Tower Hobbies would say. They have been in business since 1975 and send out several million catalogs every three months. They are by far the leader in their marketplace and they have no reason to join the affiliate channel. I can almost understand their reasoning, but as long as Hobbytron and others are making enough sales to stay in business, there is always room for growth.

An R/C plane would be very cool. I'd really like a chopper though

Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I know what Tower Hobbies would say. They have been in business since 1975 and send out several million catalogs every three months. They are by far the leader in their marketplace and they have no reason to join the affiliate channel. I can almost understand their reasoning, but as long as Hobbytron and others are making enough sales to stay in business, there is always room for growth.
    well they didn't get my business. they might have a strong following among enthusiasts, but for the average person looking for hobby stuff online (like me) - i had no idea where to buy. imo i think they could really benefit.

well they didn't get my business. they might have a strong following among enthusiasts, but for the average person looking for hobby stuff online (like me) - i had no idea where to buy. imo i think they could really benefit.
    Ahhh...Affiliate marketing as effective branding for new customer acquisition... More companies should look at COA for new customers when they decide against an aff program
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Ahhh...Affiliate marketing as effective branding for new customer acquisition... More companies should look at COA for new customers when they decide against an aff program
    yep. if it turns out i really like flying rc planes and upgrade to bigger and better planes...and a site like tower hobbies earned my business as a new customer via an aff program...

Quote Originally Posted by Zdig
    i'll post after i fly it and let you know what i think, from a beginner's point of view.
    I bought one of those planes a couple of years ago, they are really easy to fly for the beginners, However be aware................

My first flight , I wen to the local Ball Park (not a good place because there are alot of fences) foloowed all the instructions, and before you know it i was in the air flying away. I figured the higher up the plane was the less chance i would have to crash it, (because basically you can lways glide it back to the ground if your batter dies) SO i kept the plane in the air, going higher and higher,,,,,, and higher. Before i knew it the plane was so high that the reception from my radio (remote control) signal was lost, All i could do was watch helplessly as the plane just flew away. I immediatly jumped in my car and litereally chased it for a couple of MILES, before i completly lost site! I never did find the plane but from then on, I always wrote my phone numbber on it just in case. When I left the ball park that day i went to local hoby store and bought another one, and still enjoy flyinh that to this day.

I have a very similar one I got at Christmas time. I had it up once, but I need more room. Having trouble finding a good RC field in my area...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Well thanks for posting that link - I spent the best part of an hour looking at vids - the model jets are AWESOME - proper jet noise from a tiny motor.

I made model airplanes in my youth, but only control-line or free-flight as I couldn't afford RC. Tempted now by a ready-to-fly RC kit, tell us how it goes and I might just have to get my son one for Christmas.

i got my plane in the mail today, and had a chance to fly it, here is my report....

the skyfly came with a dvd + instruction manual. it was actually really helpful to watch the dvd. it gave step-by-step assembly instructions and flight instructions.

plane is fairly easy to put together. most everything (electronics and such) are already wired, i basically just had to attach the tail, wing, landing gear. it's a bit tricky tweaking everything so it is all straight, but no big deal. the instructions ask you to balance the plane, but mine didn't need balancing.

the battery charged up fully in about an hour, so i didn't have to wait long for it to be ready. i brought along the car charger that came with it, so i could charge up the battery again if i needed to.

to find a place to fly, i used google maps and took an "aerial survey" of nearby areas. i was looking for a wide open area to fly, since there isn't much in my city. you need more than just a soccer field. i found a pretty good size field, maybe about the size of four soccer fields. it wasn't big enough though, i'll get to that.

when i got to the field, i noticed the wind was probably 10 mph. the instructions advise not flying in winds over 5 mph. but, i wanted to fly, so i risked it. i got the plane up in the air and flying on my second attempt.

it was surprisingly easy to fly, but definitely took some getting used to. the little engine on this thing pulls it pretty good! the wind was challenging, so i wasn't too aggresive with my flying. i would fly around in a couple of circles then return it back to the ground. on about my 4th flight, i went up a bit too high, and the wind carried it into a backyard! i was lucky the person was home and nice enough to hand the plane over the fence to me.

the plane suffered some wing damage, but was still fly-able. i did a few more flights and a couple more light crashes into the grass, but not too much more damage.

all in all, i am very happy with this plane. it seems like an incredible value, and anyone over the age of about 14 could probably handle it. any younger than that, i would say an adult would need to help. the fact that i have never really flown of these things before (except steering one when i was a kid) - i was totally happy to be able to fly it at all. my buddy i went with was surprised how cheap the whole package was.

now i need to buy a new $10 wing, but i think i learned the basics and hopefully won't crash hard again. the field i used just wasn't big enough, and the wind didn't help. if you get one, find a really large field and hopefully no wind.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I have flown RC airplanes since the '70s. They are LOTS of fun. Of course, this one will only lead to one that is bigger, faster and more maneuverable.
    Have fun with it. It is a great hobby!
    Here is a photo of my latest.
    it's very possible i'll end up upgrading and getting into this hobby a bit more. i had a lot of flying flying that thing around today.

make sure you can fly them where you live. here in NYC you can only fly them in designated areas.

i could see why a big city like NYC would have restrictions, but i think most suburban and rural places don't have too many restrictions. just use common sense i guess. where could you use it in NYC anyway? central park maybe, if they allowed it?

Only one place in NYC and its on staten island

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread