More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Better Than Yahoo, Miles Behind Google
    Just placed an "order" with MSN this morning. Screwed up on URL destination but now my ad is locked down so I can't fix it.

I found the interface quite a bit friendlier than Yahoo's but the destination URL placement was not clear. Had some other question marks about exact phrase match and a few other things as well. Also, I don't like to have to wait and wait and wait till I can make changes to the ad.

I am astounded that a multi-billion dollar corporation can't design an interface to be a bit more user friendly. All they would have to do is to test run their interface on 1 or 2 people (with average computer skills) that are not familiar with it. Google seems to understand this simple principle in interface creation - the other 2 players of the Big 3 obviously don't.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

It's their loss.

I think the MSN interface is much more confusing than it has to be, especially compared to Google's.

The biggest issue I have with MSN's is the incredible wait time for anything to happen. I think it took me 7 or 8 days for my orders to be approved. And the stats are delayed as well. Kind of hard to tell what's going on in your campaigns when you can't really see any numbers..

Of course, I chalk some of this up to the exodus from Google...but even before then, it took a few days to approve orders.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    They're struggling with approval, data and reporting delays and interface headaches, but...

On average, I am getting a very high ROI through them.

Learn to upload using spreadsheets (it's not hard) and you'll avoid a lot of their interface and setup issues (but the delays will still be there).

The results / pain ratio makes MSN worth the effort for me. It's a lot less traffic than G, so overall, I place it well behind using AdWords. But the higher pain level and lesser results when using Yahoo is so high, that I put Y in line behind MSN.

My time / $ investment pecking order goes...

G Search Network
    MSN (only have Search, no syndication worries with MSN... yet...)
    Y Search Match (no Y content match... ever!)
    G Content Network (seperately bid from G Search)

A person should not have to be highly skilled in computer programming to use a ppc service. Case in point : I have two friends that have brick and mortar business that want a little online exposure. Neither know much of anything more about computers than how to send an email. For one friend, I will be setting up a PPC ad campaign and group in Google (as a favor). I know that once I set up a single group for him, he will be able to take over, set up new groups, and manage it without problem due to its simplicity. The same can not be said for Yahoo or MSN. The truth is, many small businesses do not have the money to hire an extra person to run a PPC campaign so they can get a few extra thousand dollars worth of business each month (and make a few hundred dollars a month more).

One must wonder how much business Yahoo and MSN are missing out on.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

One must wonder how much business Yahoo and MSN are missing out on
    MSN at least is really trying. I have been with them since beta and they have come a long way. They are accessible and you can reach them by phone. I don't know how easy that is since the G problems have added to their business. If you have suggestions they listen.

Just got off the phone with support. It was a very good experience and the person I spoke to seemed to be an actual representative of MSN and not an outsourced flunky. There was a problem in the way they wrote the instructions for editing the ad - the phone rep said she would forward on a request to have this fixed.

This was very encouraging.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Thus far we too have gotten a very good ROI on an MSN campaign we run for another project we own. No doubt they have some bugs to work out, but all in all it looks promising.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

"MSN (only have Search, no syndication worries with MSN... yet...)"

Some have already started to creep in.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

"I am astounded that a multi-billion dollar corporation can't design an interface to be a bit more user friendly"

We are talking about Microsoft here people...they are pretty good at stealing interfaces from other people. They needed to do a better job of copying google's.

ABW Ambassador
    Upgrade tomorrow:

http://blogs.msdn.com/adcenter/

I just wanted to remind you that due to tomorrow's release, adCenter will be unavailable from 7 A.M to 9 P.M Pacific Time (August 5). During this period, your current keywords and ads will continue to run. However, you won't be able to access adCenter to make changes.
    Thanks,
    adCenter411

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    I think the MSN interface is much more confusing than it has to be, especially compared to Google's.

The biggest issue I have with MSN's is the incredible wait time for anything to happen. I think it took me 7 or 8 days for my orders to be approved. And the stats are delayed as well. Kind of hard to tell what's going on in your campaigns when you can't really see any numbers..

Of course, I chalk some of this up to the exodus from Google...but even before then, it took a few days to approve orders.
    Whats this about a Google Exodus? I've heard this mentioned a couple of time - they just started f-ing over affiliates? When did this start happening?

About a month ago, when Google wiped out a lot of sites that advertised on Adwords. They did this by hiking keyword prices up a ridiculous amount (like .20 to 10.00)

MSN Hickup
    I have also recently created an account with MSN... I placed and order and got all my keywords approved... but now that my account is active none of my ads are showing...

I called them up and talked to a really nice representative, and she forwarded it up to be fixed....

I hope this doesnt happen often...

I am in dialogue with MSN about starting with them now. They had better butter my nuts correctly...

So have CPC's dropped since then or did they intend this as a permanent change? (not that I am assuming you can read google's mind)

No, some of my campaigns are still inactive. I think, and this is my opinion, that Google has been implementing their wrath in bits and pieces - instead of all at once. I bet another round is coming in the next couple of months, where the same thing will happen again.

Thumbs up
    I signed up w/MSN last night. Just now noticed that my ad became active.

I just signed up on MSN today...I really liked the research features where you can see all kinds of graphs / demographic information about the words you are interested in.

Its frightening how much AdCenter is trying to emulate google adwords - It seems like such a classic Microsoft strategy - attempting to take away your competitor's advantage by doing everything the way they do it in the same exact way. Let the other person innovate, copy their innovations and just NEVER relent. Microsoft has such a big bankroll they can just keep coming after you relentlessly until you bleed to death.

For example, Microsoft uses "AdCenter"....strikingly similar to Google's "AdSense" and "AdWords." Too bad Google couldnt prevent other people from slapping on that "Ad" prefix to everything they do. Apple had the same problem with "iTunes" and "iMac." They couldn't protect the "i" prefix so you see lots of other products using that trick and scoring points off of the brands which Apple has paid billions to create.

MS even formats their AdCenter website as "adcenter.microsoft.com" - compare this to "adwords.google.com. " I don't like having to type the word "microsoft" though..."google" is much nicer / faster to input while "microsoft" is all over the keyboard. I'd like to see more from AdCenter in the future...

You can also type in "adcenter.msn.com", which will redirect you to the full url.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread