ABW Ambassador
    Hi everyone I'd like to pick your brains...

I have an existing site with a kid related domain name. I haven't been doing much with it for the last couple of years. I've decided to make it into a Kids Resale Shoppe and donate 50% of any/all profits to children's charities. The other 50% I'll use for advertising and growing the site. My hope is to eventually make this into a non-profit org. (legally).

In addition, I've just registered a new (similar) domain name which I'd like to eventually make into a kids online consignment shoppe.

Now my questions to you all:

In order for the resale shop to work I need people to donate childrens items (mostly brand name quality used clothing) which I will pay shipping (or reimburse).

What do you think the best avenue is for reaching those who I might get to send me their used stuff? Forums? Newspaper Ads (national)?

and last but not least, are there any of you who have sites geared towards parents/kids who might put a link on your site or in an email to get the donations coming in?

ABW Ambassador
    Do you have a neighborhood and statewide advertising directory that is distributed free with your mail everyweek. It typically contains ads for things wanted or being sold. For instance, we have a free Pennysaver Ad Magazine here. It is delivered free to everyone on Wednesdays. It is very cheap to advertise in and it reaches 100s of thousands of people everyweek. Ads are like $15 per week.

ABW Ambassador
    I listed a "Wanted" ad in the local paper (free) but should check on the weekly sales paper! thx Jada

ABW Ambassador
    bid ppc for a term associated with donating items top charity.

Use the space at your existing websites to advertise.

Tell everyone, including your family.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What do you think the best avenue is for reaching those who I might get to send me their used stuff? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MsMary;

Are you sure that you want people to start sending you their stuff? What if the response is overwhelming? How will you warehouse it?
    Perhaps a better idea is to be sort of a go-between. People could send you pictures of their stuff, you sell it and send the order to the person, who then ships it. It reduces shipping costs by 1/2 and you have no inventory to look after.
    This is the model that we use on our craft site and it works well.

ABW Ambassador
    Workerbee...

Definately for the consignment shoppe I will just funcion as a go between.

For the resale shop, I would prefer to keep an inventory as the donators will have no benefit from the sale of the items. This way I can list only the best items, make sure they are washed, pressed, and photo'd well. I will probably try to keep the donations on a local level at first and pick them up, but I think that it would be great to get a wide variety of brands and styles which are available from many different regions.

I think that the shipping costs wouldn't be that bad for clothing and since this is a not for profit venture and the inventory is free, this is a small cost of doing business.

I would say move quickly to get your non-profit exemption and let the donor be able to deduct the donations. More people will be inclined to help if they know you’re a non-profit organization.

Here is the IRS’s page on non-profit charitable organizations. I’m sure you probably checked it out already.
    Tax Information for Charitable Organizations

I give three to four garbage bags of clothes away every year,(no comment on my growing size.) but I want to claim it on my taxes. I've got a two year old now and a ton of never been worn clothes. I need the tax credit.

Now with that said, you question was on promotion. I would start local. Get a booth at a weekend local bizarre, flee market, or craft show and then push that you will except drop off’s. Call your t.v., radio talk shows and paper. Try to get a story done on your site us you one time drop off to help get attention. I would then try to use any local publicity to gain larger publicity.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the info and ideas Flyman!

I've been reading everything I can find about starting a non profit org and such, lots to do!

ABW Ambassador
    Mary,
    Don't forget your local radio, TV, and newspapers. Non-profits get free advertising in the form of Public Service Announcements. (when I'm on the air, I read at least 2 an hour). Just contact your local radio station and find out their procedure for Public Service Announcements. Usually it involves just faxing them the information you wish to get on the air...

Tom Pyles

ABW Ambassador
    Hey thanks! didn't think about radio.

Mary,

You could do all you want to do thru eBay and be pretty certain you would be paid and your items would get good exposure.

On your eBay auction page you can tell about not only the product but about you program. Plus you can put a link to send people to your Kid's help page and explain what you are
    doing in more detail.

Good idea.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread