Question Can I create a new page after certain amount records?
    In one of my index pages I may have 400+ records. I need to break that up into different pages within a givin manufacturer. Let me explain.

I have an alphabetical rolodex that points to a index of shoe manufacturers. From this index of manufacturers, the next page is all the shoes from that manufacturer (also an index; call it page C). This page is created by Webmerge based upon the name of the shoe maker. Everytime the shoe maker changes, a new page is created. On this page with all the shoes is a single detail page that has information about that single shoe.

What I want to do is break up my page with all the shoes (Page C). The one that only changes when a shoe maker name changes. One manufacturer may have 400+ shoes. That's a big index page. I want to break it up in to smaller chunked pages. I would give the URL for an example, but that is against the rules.

I saw on the index tab where every X amount of records a new page can be created, but I want a new page after X amount of records within a given manufacturer. The Index mode does not give me that capability. I must choose either or.

I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't, please tell me. I really want to find an answer. thank you.

It's not against the rules to post YOUR url...
    Just no one elses url...
    and it is against the rules to post AFFILIATE LINKS of any kind...

ABOUT YOUR QUESTION:::
    After the BRAND - is there any other categories that you could break it down into...
    It seems that second page the "index" needs to be broken down into subcategories.. is that possible..? does the feed or feeds come with subcategories...??

That sounds like what you are trying to do....

Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    It's not against the rules to post YOUR url...
    Just no one elses url...
    and it is against the rules to post AFFILIATE LINKS of any kind...

ABOUT YOUR QUESTION:::
    After the BRAND - is there any other categories that you could break it down into...
    It seems that second page the "index" needs to be broken down into subcategories.. is that possible..? does the feed or feeds come with subcategories...??

That sounds like what you are trying to do....
    I guess I could try and break the feed down into types or something, but it is supposed to be all the shoes one shoe maker makes (maybe a bad idea).

Here is an example:

http://www.shoefusion.com/shoe_catalog/etnies.html

Wait about 10 seconds before you get frustrated. The page will eventually load. Thanks.

Yes you must break them down...
    Shopping by BRAND is a GOOD IDEA.......
    But on my sites when I say SHOP BY BRAND..
    I just use the BRAND as the CATEGORY and then the SUBCATEGORIES and PRODUCTGROUPS...

That page is way too big.. I see flip flops, sandles, slippers, Men's and Women's Sneakers...etc.......

Unhappy
    Johnny-

I feel your pain. I am having the same problem. The feeds I am working with do not break down any further - there are no more categories, subcategories, etc. Some of my index pages are fine, having up to 20 products or so. But others have 400+ products on them.

It would be SO helpful if WebMerge would allow us to create index pages based on a particular field name (Category, Subcategory, etc.) **AND** create a new page every 'n' records, so we could have index pages listed as:

category01.html (records #1-20)
    category02.html (records #21-40)
    category03.html (records #41-60)
    etc. etc...

And they would be all linked together with "next" and "previous" buttons. That would be a dream come true!

Until then, it seems like the only way to fix this is to manually create my own additional subcategories. What a pain in the neck.

Or we could also complain to the providers of the feeds and ask that they provide more info to help break the information down into further subcats.

Either way, we've got some work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ifnllc
    Johnny-

I feel your pain. I am having the same problem. The feeds I am working with do not break down any further - there are no more categories, subcategories, etc. Some of my index pages are fine, having up to 20 products or so. But others have 400+ products on them.

It would be SO helpful if WebMerge would allow us to create index pages based on a particular field name (Category, Subcategory, etc.) **AND** create a new page every 'n' records, so we could have index pages listed as:

etc. etc...

And they would be all linked together with "next" and "previous" buttons. That would be a dream come true!

Until then, it seems like the only way to fix this is to manually create my own additional subcategories. What a pain in the neck.

Or we could also complain to the providers of the feeds and ask that they provide more info to help break the information down into further subcats.

It means I have to massage the feeds much much more. Unfortunately, the feeds from multiple stores are not uniform. This is the same complaint I've read on abw over and over: uniform feeds. The 3 shoe store feeds I have may have sandals listed six different ways and with 129,000 items, it gets difficult. Perhaps in another version of WM we can have the new page after n records. And I mean no disrespect, but the less the user has to fool with the feed, the better WM becomes. It seems to place much more burden on my than I originally thought it would. It has a lot of great aspects, and I like the program, but I do wish some things were different (again, no disrespect, I know the developer is here and reads the posts.)

Quote Originally Posted by ifnllc
    Johnny-

etc. etc...

In addition to my last comment, I also am starting to think that less merchants and even PPC are better. Especially, if they have one good feed. That may be a reason there is not consistency also. If the CJ datafeeds were consistent, maybe the merchants wouldn't have as big an angle to get new affiliates. CJ still costs money, however.

Here is an example of the page above and the categories. No consistency.

ADVERTISERCATEGORY
    Accessories:Handbags:Athletic
    Handbags
    Lifestyle Departments:Retro:Women's Retro:General Athletic
    Lifestyle Departments:The Gym:Women's Gym:Skate
    Men's Athletic
    Men's Bags
    Men's Casual
    Men's:Men's Athletic:Skate Shoes
    Men's:Men's Casual:Casual Sandals:Casual Sandals - Slides
    Outdoor Performance Accessories
    Shoes-Kids-Boys-Grade-School
    Shoes-Kids-Boys-Pre-School
    Shoes-Kids-Boys-Toddlers
    Shoes-Kids-Girls-Grade-School
    Shoes-Kids-Girls-Infants
    Shoes-Kids-Girls-Pre-School
    Shoes-Mens-Athletic-Golf
    Shoes-Mens-Athletic-Skate
    Shoes-Mens-Sandals-Athletic
    Shoes-Mens-Sandals-Slide
    Shoes-Mens-Skate-Lifestyle
    Shoes-Mens-Skate-Pro
    Shoes-Mens-Skate-Sandals
    Shoes-Mens-Skate-Team
    Shoes-Womens-Athletic-Lifestyle
    Shoes-Womens-Athletic-Sandals
    Shoes-Womens-Athletic-Skate
    Shoes-Womens-Skate-Lifestyle
    Shoes-Womens-Skate-Sandals
    Shoes-Womens-Skate-Team
    Women's Athletic
    Women's Casual
    Women's Dress
    Women's:Women's Athletic:Athletic
    Women's:Women's Athletic:Surf and Skate
    Women's:Women's Casual:Casual Flats:Casual Flats - Skimmer/Ballerina
    Women's:Women's Casual:Casual Sandals:Casual Sandals - Slides/Mules
    Women's:Women's Casual:Casual Sandals:Casual Sandals - Sport
    Women's:Women's Casual:Retro

First I have to give them all the same delimiter (usually pipe for me). Then I have to decide from the left and right sides which categories I need. Even then it doesn't end because some of the cats have better information deepter in there category structure than others. Do I want gender? Do I want gender and type and subtype? Some stores only have that at so many levels and not has helpful as another. Again, if this were only a few items, I could understand easily, but this alone is 39, a small number. There are about 19,000 in all (just cats 129k shoes).

I don't think any program could help with this. Not WM, nothing. Only database skills and lots of time and hoping that even if you get it setup that the stores don't change anything.
    Last edited by johnnyWebAffiliate; July 29th, 2006 at 08:36 AM.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread