Question Does anyone use newsletters to educate your own affiliates?
    Hi all

Obviously all merchants know that you should recruit clever affiliates OR educate them to make them clever and teach how to promote your product preperly.

One of the ways is using newsletters sending them to your affiliates (who subscribe, of course) weekly or more often describing tips and tricks of promoting your product (who can be better at that than you?).

I never used this method but thinking about that.

Does anyone (merchants or affiliates) have any experience in that?

Thanks,
    Ann

We send out alters and a weekly newsletter. Mostly, we try to equip our affiliates with as much information about the offer's performance as possible.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

Quote Originally Posted by danay
    Mostly, we try to equip our affiliates with as much information about the offer's performance as possible.
    Yeah, that's a passport to success!
    That's what I am trying to do, too.

Thanks for the reply

Regards,
    Ann

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Dream Prints,

Yes we send out a newsletter weekly. We also cross promote our forum topics/threads in the newsletter because it helps spark conversation among affiliates. If you have a forum, a newsletter is also a great place to cross promote it.

Question
    Thanks for the reply, Lisa

And one more thing: doesn't it annoy the webmasters that they are like taught?
    Most of them are very experienced and do not like to be underestimated...

Yours,

Ann

I try not to release any newsletters unless I have something new to say. If I was in their (the affiliate's) place and I kept getting the same newsletter every week I might very well unsubscribe to it.

Some of these coupon / discount places I imagine update their information highly regularly...offering new deals several times a month (Im guessing) so it makes sense for them to mail often. There is a hard limit to the number of newsletters I can mail with LinkShare (20K) before having to pay! And that is a bad thing...we have over 10,000 affiliates and can't afford to send four newsletters to all of them. That would cost us thousands of dollars.

As for teaching webmasters, we put a link at the top where they can go to find more information. We also give "marketing tips" ocassionally.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Newsletters
    Hi Dream. We are going to be using an occasional newsletter to communicate and share ideas and knowledge with affiliates down the road.

I agree that if they are over-sent or have nothing new to say that they can be as much a hinderance as a benefit, but I also believe that when there is news or ideas that can benefit affiliates, an e-letter can be very beneficial.

At present we communicate with affiliates mostly on a personal basis by phone or email or both. I like to stay in touch where possible. But when it is something that may be time sensitive or "big" news - we plan to use an eNews announcement.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by IronChef253
    I try not to release any newsletters unless I have something new to say. If I was in their (the affiliate's) place and I kept getting the same newsletter every week I might very well unsubscribe to it.
    Yes, that's a very good point. I totally agree. It is good to stay in touch with the affiliates but when it is useful. I mean if you just send emails to be able to announce that you are a good affiliate manager won't be very appreciated by affiliates.

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    I agree that if they are over-sent or have nothing new to say that they can be as much a hinderance as a benefit, but I also believe that when there is news or ideas that can benefit affiliates, an e-letter can be very beneficial.
    So the main thing is: if you have something useful to say - use it, if not - then just wait before you do

Thanks a lot!

"At present we communicate with affiliates mostly on a personal basis by phone or email or both. I like to stay in touch where possible. But when it is something that may be time sensitive or "big" news - we plan to use an eNews announcement."

How many affiliates do you have Ameritrust RX? I think I've actually called an affiliate once...and they rarely seem to respond to the personalized emails I have sent out.

We try to do a montly update to inform affiliates of what is new. When we get new creative or a new program we call our top affiliates and give them first crack before they see it in the newsletter. I think they like to hear about it from us before they see it in print. We then copy our newsletter into our blog site so if they want to read something from an old edition they can.

Jeff Cohen
    Textbooks.com
    http://affiliate.textbooks.com
    affiliates@textbooks.com

I send out newsletters when I have new things to say, usually monthly. This for me means new creatives, promotions, sales text, etc...

As for tips and tricks and such, I think you run into a thorny area sometimes. A lot of your affiliates may be clueless and need the tips, but if they are clueless and (presumably) making no money, why would they read your newsletter? (they don't seem to be doing anything else right, why this?)

Then again, those affiliates that do know what they are doing are probably making you and themselves a lot of money and they don't need or want the extra email.

My solution: an affiliate blog. This way, you can post as many tips and tricks and stuff that you want. If your affiliates want to read it (via webpage or RSS) then they can, at their leisure. If not, well then they don't.

I publicize my blog in my newsletters, on my communications, business card, etc...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    Newsletters are effective, however make sure their short and sweet, to the point, with any relevant information that can be easily accessed.

Good luck to you..

Yes, I have.....information......

Quote Originally Posted by DIVNA
    Yes, I have.....information......
    Will you tell us?

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    After reading some of these responses, I realize we do a bit of a combo deal with our newsletters. Like some of you said, we send out a newsletter at the beginning of the month because that is a long enough time that you would by then have "something to say." In the sense of educating the affiliate, the only way we do that is to inform them of updates or events that are going on, to remind them of the forum we have (like someone else mentioned) and to obviously promote the program offers for the month. So I guess its more of a retention effort than a recruitment effort, but overall I think our newsletters serve to keep in touch and try to get the affiliates to respond. Sometimes its just good to know you're not talking to yourself all the time
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread