Unpacking mess, inspired by loxly
    So, Deb's latest thread about finally getting her stuff from her moving ordeal reminded me of my issues with unpacking from my recent move.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...383#post591383

I've been in my new house for a month and a half, and I STILL am only half unpacked. I haven't put up many of my pics or the things that make a home feel like home. Every time I try to start unpacking on weekends, I walk into the garage and the dogs need to be fed, or the baby needs attention or I get a phone call or I have a wedding to go to or my teen needs a ride.

So, am I pathetic here, or is unpacking from a move supposed to take this long?
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

Quote Originally Posted by danay

You have a long way to go until you get to pathetic. I've been here about 3 years and most of my stuff is still in the garage in boxes. I'm almost ready to start throwing the boxes away. I'm not pathetic yet though.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

They always say that if you haven't opened the box for over a year, you should throw it away.

But, whenever I go to do that, I open the box just to make sure that there isn't something in there that I want. Of course that leads to me keeping almost everything in it.

Sheri

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheri
    They always say that if you haven't opened the box for over a year, you should throw it away.
    Yeah, that wouldn't be good here.... The older you get the more you keep that you will need "someday"....

danay, a lot my stuff will never get unpacked... But the boxes will get labeled, cause I have to go through them all to see what I even have (part of my story is that *I* didn't pack my stuff, my daughter did!!!! So I don't even know what is actually here....). The important stuff will get unpacked. The rest will get unpacked "as needed". I probably won't fully unpack in an apartment, only when I eventually have a house again.

So you will unpack what you need when you need to... you are not pathetic
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks misdonna, Sheri & loxly. Good to know I'm not alone here. Now I may just take this and run wiht it and not even bother looking at the boxes for months
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

Quote Originally Posted by danay
    It's the God-Of-Superfluous-Stuff's way of telling you you don't really need all those things and it's time to take a major car-load to Ye-Olde-Charity-Shoppe. I have a law that if by the time to move, I have anything I haven't unpacked from the last move - it gets junked - yes it's painful in the short term, but mainly cathartic.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Moving is reputed to be one of the stressful things we humans do, so no Danay, you're not pathetic. You're just trying to avoid stress and that's very sane, really.

Moving does cause big stress and when you finally move into a new place you kind of get settled in slowly and stop the unpacking process. This is a good thing because you can get health problems by rushing to unpack. Take your time what is the hurry. You have the essentials that you need otherwise you would be looking into the boxes.

How about this idea, set up a few tables in the driveway and have a yard sale as you unpack. Put the stuff you don't need on the table for sale. Get the family involved too and make it a family thing.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

There are some theories about not completing the unpacking chores:

1. You are avoiding the moment of discovery when you realize that you threw away or gave away everything you need now and packed all the crap you should have thrown away.

2. It used to be you were storing a garage full of "junk" in those unpacked boxes. Now you're storing future eBay business inventory.

3. Every time you start for a box to unpack it makes dogs hungry, babies cry, phones ring, people get married and teens go somewhere else for awhile . If you eliminate boxes, you have eliminated half the things we live for.

If people didn't have boxes and boxes and boxes of stuff, we wouldn't have to keep building bigger houses, with more garages, and then without bigger houses and more garages, (and storage units - don't forget storage units) people would start scaling down their shopping. And we affiliates certainly do NOT want that. Keep all that stuff safe and sound right where it belongs - (in a box, in the way, in the garage)

wow Judi, I think #3 is definitely the pattern I'm seeing. Don't forget small children's birthday parties. Alot of those kick off as soon as I open the garage door.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Moving & Shaking
    Yep, I agree NY. Moving is my least favorite chore, followed by painting. In 1995 when we returned home to Colorado, we moved my family with 3 kids, as well as our offices and 3 employees households who made the move cross country with the business.

When we hit colorado, I had 31 interviews set up the first three days while the movers moved all the office stuff in. We literally sat on the carpet in my office to conduct the interviews.

Somehow, we got everyone moved, got the office up and running, and within two weeks had all the boxes (piled ceiling high) at the new house unloaded and out of there! I do not care to repeat that experience ever again.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Regarding #3:

Forget the boxes and enjoy the chaos. When the kids grow up and leave, they'll take your good stuff with them and you'll need what's stored in the garage until you can make a list and go replace stuff. I love the peace and quiet that comes with having all the kids grown and gone, but I do remember how I never knew what would happen when I opened the garage door.

I say take it all out of the boxes and get some nice plastic bins
    whatever doesn't seem worthy to go in those bins you invested in you will sell.

I moved two years ago. It took me 4 months to get going. But that's me. I try to go easy on myself being one of those crazy left-handed - right brained types. I think you're ahead of schedule :-)

You'll get inspired and then you're organization will be a simple creative excercize.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread