Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Baby Shower Games merchant LEAK!!!!!
    Brian, Carolyn ...

I was just creating a page for Baby Shower Games from the email received today and noticed that on every page of their site, they have a HALLMARK AFFILIATE banner in the top right corner. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This is so wrong.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Same thing on the bridal showers game site, Hallmark affiliate.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    The leaks have been there for a very long time. When I noticed it a year or so ago I removed their links on my sites. I'd like to promote their Halloween games program and I even signed up for it, but until the leaks are removed I doubt I'll bother.

Carolyn, please tell this merchant they are shooting themselves in the bum. All the leaks must go if they want us to take them seriously and promote them.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    They are shooting themselves in the bum.

hehe that was funny Rhea u completed my monday morning! I imagined that and have a nice big smile on my face!
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    I've been working on this as well, this will help the cause!

If you could, please explain why this leak is such a turnoff. This way, I can point Rick to this thread so he can hear it from you guys directly....
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Richard,

I am sending my traffic to your site and do not appreciate you taking advantage of it by offering your Hallmark affiliate link to MY visitors. Either you're an affiliate or a merchant but I will no longer send traffic where I will not be compensated fairly.

This is a big issue for many of us. I was putting up pages for BSG when I noticed the Hallmark banner at the top of every page on your site and stopped everything dead. I will not be promoting your merchandise as I intended.

Listen to Carolyn. She knows what she's doing ... the good will she has helped you establish is now severely jeopardized.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    Agree 100% with Rexanne. We dont need to be sending OUR traffic to Hallmark via their link with their affiliate cookie; we're perfectly capable of sending our own visitors to Hallmark from our own sites with our own cookies.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Anyone else? Chime in now, don't limit this to just the merchant, but to the overall issue of leaks...I'm asking for it, show us how this dimishes your efforts...(but keep it real folks, we're still people at the receiving end)

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with the comments made above.

A bit of a different view on this - It makes me wonder when I see affiliate links on a merchant site, whether the merchants business is stable enough for me to promote. I mean if the merchant isn't making enough profit from their own sells (products) and they have to resort to putting up affiliate links to make additional income, it has red flags all over it. Does their own products not sell well or convert? Will I invest the time to promote them and then the merchant closes their affiliate program? Will they have enough money to pay me/share-a-sale?

With merchants like this I never hang around long enough to answer the questions above. I quickly move on to other merchants that show more stability.

I just can't grasp why a merchant would pay affiliates to drive traffic (possibly new customers) to their site and then take a chance on missing a sale by passing it on to another merchant.

ABW Ambassador
    I just can't grasp why a merchant would pay affiliates to drive traffic (possibly new customers) to their site and then take a chance on missing a sale by passing it on to another merchant.
    Point of importance: they are not paying affiliates one single penny to send traffic (potential customers) to their site. Nothing is paid until a sale is made, and if the customers that the affiliate are sending for FREE don't buy on that site, but go off to the affiliate links on the pages, then nothing at all is ever made by that affiliate - who may have even paid for PPC traffic they sent to the so-called merchant.

As far as I am concerned that isn't a merchant of integrity committed to sales and business partnerships with affiliates, that's an affiliate acting as a middle-man between the affiliates who signed up with them in good faith and the OTHER merchant (in this case Hallmark), except that the person who sent them the FREE traffic never sees a dime - it's the middle-man who gets paid for sales made through their affiliate links.

It's getting harder and harder to distinguish between legitimate merchants and posers who are actually affiliates looking for free traffic and getting it either by deception or by taking advantage of the inexperienced and/or innocent who don't know enough to check for legitimacy and integrity.

Wow Very informative post Have learnt something, was wondering y Rexanne had a problem with the hallmark banner!

Now i know why!! Very good reason to be pissed off! Thank you for the knowledge
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

ABW Ambassador
    If merchants have leaks on their sites, they may not know better, or realize what kind of a potential impact it can have, by sponging off their affiliates' traffic.

BUT - and it's a big BUT - once they're made aware of it, if they continue to do it, then they're not "innocent" and it's deliberate.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Carolyn, I became aware of this leak as a result of my sales with the merchant falling off. I noticed that I wasn't getting as many sales with the merchant as previously so I checked the merchant's site. When I saw the Hallmark leak (and some others as I recall) I realied the leaks probably accounted for the lack of sales. That's when I removed the merchant's links from my site and replaced them with other merchants' links. When I signed up with this merchant I had pretty good sales but at that time the site was leak-free.

The merchant has nice products but they seem to lack confidence in their ability to convert shoppers into buyers. The Hallmark link screams, "Hey, there are other fish in the sea, you know!" Way to market your merchandise (not).

The merchant has a choice whether to be leak-free or not, but we affiliates have a choice whether to send our hard-earned traffic to the merchant's site. The merchant can have Hallmark et al or the merchant can have me. It's that simple.

Real merchants with real sites and real products should have a site that does absolutely nothing except convert traffic to sales. If you can upsell a customer as they move through your site, so much the better.

Every single thing on your site should make it easier to buy your product or give the customer another reason to buy your product. You never want a customer to even remember there are other merchants during the time they are in your store.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    Real merchants with real sites and real products should have a site that does absolutely nothing except convert traffic to sales. If you can upsell a customer as they move through your site, so much the better.

Every single thing on your site should make it easier to buy your product or give the customer another reason to buy your product. You never want a customer to even remember there are other merchants during the time they are in your store.

Perfect!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Wink I know we can sell Baby Shower Games!
    Dear Rick and Heather

You know that I had been able to sell both your Babyshower Games and Instant Wedding Toasts in the past. They are good products and your conversions were pretty good.

Then the leaks appeared and the sales dropped off.

I know, after dealing with you for more than three years now, that you are an honest merchant with good products. Please heed the advice of your affiliates and remove all third party affiliate links from your webistes so that we can concentrate on converting more traffic for your products. It is a fact that you are much better off selling your own product with a 50% margin through your affiliate program, than it is receiving commission of at most 12% through Linkshare.

Please let us know so we cna start measuring your program at its best conversion rates, without the leaks.

Best regards,

Alejandro Cardenas Gonzalez
    Last edited by Brian - ShareASale; August 3rd, 2006 at 10:54 AM.

Excellent Advice to Merchants
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103

Judi, this is excellent advice to any Merchant and something we strive to do to the best of our ability. It just makes business sense if you are running an affiliate program or not. Why give customers the chance to leave when you can lead them down a path to a sale. Its hard enough getting good quality traffic to your site. At Jigsaw2order, we do everything we can to convert a visitor into a customer and, if you are expecting Affiliates to sell your product, I feel this is the least we can do.

Colin
    jigsaw2order.com

Urgh...I just joined the program and was preparing to put up links in the next coulple of days. Now that I know the leak is there, I will not be putting up the links.

You have a great product that I know will sell on my site. BUT, I will not allow you to hijack my customers and send them to a site where I won't receive a penny.

If I want my visitors to go to Hallmark, I will send them there myself. I will not send my visitors to you so you can reroute them to Hallmark and snag the commission.

Carolyn is there for a reason right? Think she might know what she is talking about? Listen to her!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Hey Everyone, thanks for your posts on this - we are working with BabyShowerGamesAtoZ.com with this ... The issue is as follows and isn't as straightforward as it may seem ...

Testing has been done with the logo removed, and conversion percentage overall, and that means all affiliate traffic as well, significantly decreases. That means affiliate conversion plummets as well...

The decrease in conversion hurts affiliates more than the leak itself...

We are working with the merchant to determine the amount of traffic that is leaking (we already know it is very very small) and finding a way to compensate affiliates for that leak. Stay tuned for further updates on this - and thanks for helping us to explain to the merchant how important as issue this is... While we may not be able to remove the link, you should know that we are and have been working on this with them to make sure that affiliates are taken care of. BabyShowerGamesAtoZ.com is committed to their affiliate program and their affiliates and is not intentionally trying to take traffic away from you... we all just don't want to do something that will hurt your traffic and conversion ratios ...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread