A friend of mine just bought a new computer with windows xp, im not sure but i think he had an IE6 browser, i had a quick look at my website with it because of the p3p issue, i had a real quick go on it, just a few seconds because i had to run, i visited my site and cj images did show up, "smashing", i thought, "it displays images accross domains", then i clicked through to the merchant site but there was no tracking code in the address bar so i checked the cache for the qksrv cookie, there was no cookie just a .dat file, at that point i had to run and when i got home i went through the sequence again, this time there was a tracking code in the address bar so i guess my friends computer wouldnt have tracked

so presuming my friend had an IE6 browser, what would he have to do to ensure that if he clicked on my affiliate link that it would track?

and how do we detect if our visitors can accept cookies accross domains?

on average 35% of my audience are using IE6 and this number is rising weekly, if we dont put our heads together over this one we will all be out of buisness in 12 months

what we must do is find a javascript that will detect if a cookie can be set from a domain other than our own and if external cookies are not being set the script informs the user that they need to alter their cookie setting or "this site will not work properly" and very brief instructions about how to achive that

editeded because the title was tooooo long. how are you all today anyway?

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: austin powers ]

Wow austin.
    I just checked my stats on two sites one was 45% IE6 users the other was 30% IE6 users, thats one h*ll of a percentage to lose.

Can any of you java boffins come up with a script for this?

I'm fabulous Austin...carless but fabulous [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I don't know what we are going to do about 6 and I don't know whether a script would work.

But we need to address this issue post haste!

Oh joy...another problem of major proportions.

Seems like there are no end to them. What do we do now - everyone run their own scumware?

How do you get around the fact IE6 blows up cookies.

Which brings up another interesting question - if the 'trusted (LMAOROF) third party" says they track all sales then who's in breach of their agreements? Because if their is no cookie, you can't track any sales.

Say goodbye to CPA adnetworks. No cookies = NO affiliates, No traffic, No sales, NO latte and nude beaches for CJ boys.

But Snare & BeScrewed will say but we don't use cookies.

And I say, it dosen't matter because they never pay or report sales anyway.

ebay to the rescue... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Checked today,mine is running at 27%.

ABW Ambassador
    Something to note....I use IE6 on one of my puters....it tracks cookies...I've made purchases that were tracked...I will have to check on the exact version, but it isn't all of them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Tom Pyles

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    CJ redirect is relied upon to set the cookie just like the scumware/parasites server. So the hiJackers are also in trouble with IE6.0 and Win-XP. No wonder Microsoft closed down ClickTrade. They got mad because they couldn't implant their own keyword TopText virus and shopping tool in the O/S. Come on Todd and smooth the waves on this issue.

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: SpaceBandit ]

ABW Ambassador
    I never did anything to configure it. I was using IE5, and when IE6 became available, I just downloaded it and installed it. There wasn't anything special that I did in the configuration. I could be that when I installed it, it used the settings from IE5 to keep them the same. I am using Win98, so I'm also thinking that it is an XP issue. We have a computer running XP at the radio station. I will check there and see what I can find.

Tom Pyles

Hmmm, I'm on XP with IE6. Better figure out a purchase to make and see if it tracks.

I also run NIS for a firewall. I actually have all cookies accepted there, and I think I checked the IE6 settings early on and left them as default (medium I think was default) to see what I would see as someone getting the whole thing lock stock and barrel. I do get that little red eye a lot...

IE6 has an option to "block third party cookies" - is that what you guys are talking about? Since upgrading to IE6, I've seen it fairly often where I get an error message of either "you need cookies enabled to use this site" or "you need to upgrade your browser to use this site". Usually it happens with my lotto sites, where the main site sends me off to site X. I assume they're checking for the presence of their cookie (which was blocked). Not that I care, I didn't want to see the site anyway, I just wanted my lotto ticket.
    Anyway, if it's that block third party cookie problem I don't think it will be much of an issue - the upgrade didn't set it by default, I assume XP doesn't install it by default either. So 90% of the people out there will take things as given - all they know is M$ said to upgrade so they did, they have no knowledge of the new options and no interest.

Well I by no means am an expert on the subject, but by default I think IE6 and XP is okay, half my users use XP and 65% use IE6, and last month was my best month ever with CJ. I also use fast click and focalex popups, and on my pc by default I only see the popups once. A friend of mine has bought numerous things threw my Tiger Direct links and they all track, and I had a friend by some memory through one of my crucial.com links and it tracked, and they both use XP and IE6. The only time I've seen a cookie warning is when the site wasn't compliant, but I forget which one it was. If someone wants to give me a page with a link on it too test, for a lead, I don't have any money too buy anything, hehe, then I will be glad to signup for something so we can show you for sure it tracks ok.

IE6 does not default to blocking third-party cookies. It defaults to blocking third-party cookies that don't come from a P3P-enabled domain.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;e n-us;Q293222

www.qksrv.net and commission-junction.net do have P3P policies in place, so their cookies should be fine.

(If you're running IE6, you can see the policies yourselves. Go to a page with a CJ affiliate link on it, then use the "View" menu to see the "Privacy Report". Once the report pops up, set it too all sites, and you should see qksrv.net listed as accepted. Double-click the qksrv.net URL to see the human-readable version of the P3P policy.)

Privacy settings are user-adjustable, of course. Set them high enough and the browser will reject nearly everything.

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: islander ]

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread