Angry Jerky jerky behavior
    I can sort of understand why people might spam this board with affiliate program links. It makes sense that sometimes even negative attention is better than no attention. (If you think like a three-year-old, which apparently some of these people must). We're all reasonably savvy when it comes to the spamsters, so we just ignore them and rat them out.

What I totally do not get is why they bother to spam my little rinky dink message board for moms! I mean, we hardly even have all that much traffic. Do they need links to their sites that badly that they are willing to sit for hours on end looking for the smallest of forums just to sign up with bogus account? They always stay ahead of me--fake email addresses, switching IPs...argh!!

I enabled the visual confirmation. For awhile, I even made all of the membership activations go through me but stopped when it seems like the spammers stopped. Now they are at it again.

I know that the Internet is a place of freedom and ingenuity and all that. But would these same people show up at a La Leche meeting or PTO meeting pretending to be moms just to scam the group? I don't think so!

Whew....negative energy vented. I'd like to get my hands on one of these people some day.......
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Are you using phpbb? Spam is pretty much unavoidable if you are. Many of the posts are just from spambots.

I just upgraded to the same software used here, vbulletin and so far it is much better at spam control and just a much better product overall. It's not free, cost anywhere from $85 a year or $160 one time fee plus $30 a year after the first year if you want tech support.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by helpingmoms

What I totally do not get is why they bother to spam my little rinky dink message board for moms! I mean, we hardly even have all that much traffic. Do they need links to their sites that badly that they are willing to sit for hours on end looking for the smallest of forums just to sign up with bogus account? They always stay ahead of me--fake email addresses, switching IPs...argh!!

Whew....negative energy vented. I'd like to get my hands on one of these people some day.......
    They plague my parenting forum too. Stupid idiots post in the middle of the night, figuring no one will be around to catch them. I'm usually on it and ripping the posts off and deleting their accounts while they're still sitting there. LOL - Feels good to hit that "ban user forever" button.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    They aren't targetting anyone, past if you run a phpbb forum or not. You get them at night, because the kiddies are either running the scripts when they go to bed, or the scamsters on the other side of the world just woke up and are hard at "work". Just remember, if you took one second to do something to get rid of them - you took longer than they did to spam you.

Chet

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    Just remember, if you took one second to do something to get rid of them - you took longer than they did to spam you.

Chet
    how comforting lol
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It's not just phpbb! I just found a bunch of spams on mine, too (Invision).

Enabled email confirmations, and user must enter random code. Hopefully that will help.

Just remember, if you took one second to do something to get rid of them - you took longer than they did to spam you.
    I'll salve my now-salted wound with the fact that it probably took them hours to find the infernal script, and they probably overpaid for it, too, after believing some utter rot about how they can get a #1 in G under "Phentermine" overnight just by plastering a thousand links on low-ranked boards.

Why do they do it? It's a numbers game. Some percent of their spam won't get deleted, so they'll get PageRank, backlinks, and traffic from it.

Put the security in place to stop the automated ones and make it very clear to new posters that you ban and delete all spam quickly, and it'll be minimized. Make it hard and they'll find easier targets.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Put the security in place to stop the automated ones and make it very clear to new posters that you ban and delete all spam quickly, and it'll be minimized. Make it hard and they'll find easier targets.
    I guess I'll go back to confirming memberships manually. It's better than worrying about all of the crap being posted. I've also been making it clear that if the only post that someone puts up is with links to their home business, their post will be deleted. I don't mind the legitimate stuff. I actually encourage moms with home businesses to get active in the boards and share what they do. I would bet that everyone is right that it is just some kind of bot doing most of the signups. DOH! That didn't even occur to me (Miss Naive).

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by helpingmoms
    I guess I'll go back to confirming memberships manually. It's better than worrying about all of the crap being posted. I've also been making it clear that if the only post that someone puts up is with links to their home business, their post will be deleted. I don't mind the legitimate stuff. I actually encourage moms with home businesses to get active in the boards and share what they do. I would bet that everyone is right that it is just some kind of bot doing most of the signups. DOH! That didn't even occur to me (Miss Naive).
    Manual confirmation is nice but very time consuming. I am not sure how your system works but if somebody is not able to get access to your site after x hours, then the activation rate drops dramatically. I would use the automated system if i am in your shoes but with tighter (image) verification.

I will never understand the reason behind this cos it takes 2-3 min to setup an acct, on average but if it gets deleted, what a waste of time..

Automate your sign up but don't make it so tough that the legit user will have to donate blood to have access
    Or the other thing that you can do is hire a moderator overseas for really cheap or get one for free..

Just the other day I saw a SPAM on a site that has a guest book for you to sign.

The site is for a little girl that has terminal cancer where her mother posts updates and pictures to let us all know how she's doing. The guest book is supposed to be for people to send the little girl messages of hope and love. Some A-hole SPAMMED it.

They have no souls.

{sigh}

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The site is for a little girl that has terminal cancer where her mother posts updates and pictures to let us all know how she's doing. The guest book is supposed to be for people to send the little girl messages of hope and love. Some A-hole SPAMMED it.

They have no souls.
    A lot of spammers don't even see the sites their spam ends up on. They use bots, and bots don't know what the sites are about. And there's robotic ways to generate the list of sites to auto-spam, too.

So I suppose it's *technically* right that they have no soul (since robots aren't alive), it's not like some human actually looked and then decided to spam it. (Although some humans would go ahead and spam anyway, and come up with some really lame excuses for it. But I think a lot of people wouldn't manually spam such a site unless it has enough PR to cause link-greed to take over...)

Unfortunately, this also means that any site that allows posts without bot-proofing can become drowned in automated spams.

Spammers are dickwads that irritate me more than anything. Someday, I will be granted the privilege of meeting one of those wads in person. It won't be pretty.

Somehow, there must be a way to hack their systems with crap? Instead of idiots trying to ruin a good going concern with garbage and what not, it'd be nice if there were a group of hackers out there who's sole mission was to seek out spamming companies, infiltrate and destroy them.

Sorry, I really get irked about spamming practices! Espeically hearing about that young cancer patient's site or the family sites being inundated. Pisses me off to no end!

Quote Originally Posted by ABCMonkey
    Spammers are dickwads that irritate me more than anything. Someday, I will be granted the privilege of meeting one of those wads in person. It won't be pretty.

Somehow, there must be a way to hack their systems with crap? Instead of idiots trying to ruin a good going concern with garbage and what not, it'd be nice if there were a group of hackers out there who's sole mission was to seek out spamming companies, infiltrate and destroy them.

Sorry, I really get irked about spamming practices! Espeically hearing about that young cancer patient's site or the family sites being inundated. Pisses me off to no end!

I am totally with you!! I keep trying to think of a way to start some kind of site or blog or something where we can just list all of this crap and have everyone get back at them. Unfortunately, there isn't even much that we can do to them. They keep moving around their sites and email addresses so fast that you cannot keep up with them. If anyone ever thinks of a way for us to gang up on them, I am ALL IN.

if you're considering new software for your board... i've been using vbulletin for months now and have had 0 spam problems. it's really slick

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Law & enforcement 2 different things
    Unfortunately, the Can Spam act of 2004 did nothing to curb the spam problem. However, I've taken the opinion that as much as I disike the practice, it is not worth the negative time and energy it takes to get worked up about it. Nor is it worth dignifying their practices by allowing myself to get angered anymore.

I just delete everything from anyone I don't know and move ahead rather than seething over it. It's an intrusion for sure, but the laws don't stop criminals, it just penalizes them if they are caught.

Cheers
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread