Question Idea for a site
    Let say I am going to put a site together about a sport,... for example,... golf,...

What happend if I write about Tiger Woods ??? I mean, promoting a Golf store and I say for example "Get Tiger Woods gear" of "Tiger Woods posters", etc.

Can I get in to trouble talking (always on a good way) about famous people or promoting their products?

THNX AGAiN !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBiscuiT
    Let say I am going to put a site together about a sport,... for example,... golf,... What happend if I write about Tiger Woods ??? I mean, promoting a Golf store and I say for example "Get Tiger Woods gear" of "Tiger Woods posters", etc. Can I get in to trouble talking (always on a good way) about famous people or promoting their products? THNX AGAiN !!!
    If you're promoting a brand called "Tiger Woods Gear" or "Tiger Woods Posters", that should be fine since you are promoting a branded product. Just don't say anything outside of the guidelines of the brand (like saying that Tiger Woods 'exclusively' uses this product -- even though it's branded with his name). But promoting products not endorsed with the "Tiger Woods" name and using his name to endorse them could (and will) get you into hot water. Not a good idea.

However, if you're interested in Tiger Woods and want to discuss Mr. Woods' career as an athlete in your original blog, commentary, etc, then adding links to that page promoting such golf gear or golf posters should be fine. Just don't reference Tiger Woods as endorsing, recommending, using, etc if he is not doing so or presently licensed with the company.

Besides, the merchant your promoting will have various guidelines on this as well. When you join a network, or a merchant's affiliate program, there will be rules to follow. Of course, there will often be an approval process and you would want to have the site in place before signing up. Make sure you have copyright permission to all material you use on the site.

As always, get legal advice from a legal counselor. Cuz I'm not one of them.

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by ABCMonkey
    If you're promoting a brand called "Tiger Woods Gear" or "Tiger Woods Posters", that should be fine since you are promoting a branded product. Just don't say anything outside of the guidelines of the brand (like saying that Tiger Woods 'exclusively' uses this product -- even though it's branded with his name). But promoting products not endorsed with the "Tiger Woods" name and using his name to endorse them could (and will) get you into hot water. Not a good idea.

However, if you're interested in Tiger Woods and want to discuss Mr. Woods' career as an athlete in your original blog, commentary, etc, then adding links to that page promoting such golf gear or golf posters should be fine. Just don't reference Tiger Woods as endorsing, recommending, using, etc if he is not doing so or presently licensed with the company.

Besides, the merchant your promoting will have various guidelines on this as well. When you join a network, or a merchant's affiliate program, there will be rules to follow. Of course, there will often be an approval process and you would want to have the site in place before signing up. Make sure you have copyright permission to all material you use on the site.

As always, get legal advice from a legal counselor. Cuz I'm not one of them.

Thank you very much,...

What do you mean by getting copyright permission to all material I use on the site?

So, let's say I open a blog about the soccer world cup, and I say "Congratulations Italy for the championship" and the after that line saying "Want to get Totti's jersey?" and linked to the merchant who sales the jerseys, that's fine?

Note: Totti is an Italian soccer player from the last world champions, Italy.

Thanks again !

What do you mean by getting copyright permission to all material I use on the site?
    Nolo is your friend here: Non Affiliate Linky
    So, let's say I open a blog about the soccer world cup, and I say "Congratulations Italy for the championship" and the after that line saying "Want to get Totti's jersey?" and linked to the merchant who sales the jerseys, that's fine?
    Well, speaking for myself, unless that merchant is actually selling the jersey off Totti's back, I wouldn't phrase it like that since it sounds like I would be selling a collectible item actually worn or owned by Totti. Although, I'm sure no one would terribly complain providing the merchant wasn't representing the product listed on their site as anything but a reproduction. If all they were selling were jerseys that looked like the one worn by Totti, I'd avoid it.

You might want to research some books on advertising one liners or verbiage that will help you make effective headlines for products. As far as the legalities of such things, I would need to research some case studies. But you get the picture. If it sounds misleading, you might be doing something wrong (and against the merchant's terms of service agreement).

Right of Publicity
    Watch out.

You can write about famous people, but be careful about using their pictures.

If you get a product link from an AM with a famous person holding the widget you are selling, that has already been approved (i.e. a George Formeman Grill) -- that's okay, but if an intellectual property attorney thought that you were abusing a famous client's right of publicity your web page could be yanked like a rug being pulled from beneath you.

Take a look at Cornell Law School's information on The Right of Publicity:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/index.php/Publicity

I can't answer any more specifics on this topic.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by ABCMonkey
    Nolo is your friend here: Non Affiliate Linky Well, speaking for myself, unless that merchant is actually selling the jersey off Totti's back, I wouldn't phrase it like that since it sounds like I would be selling a collectible item actually worn or owned by Totti. Although, I'm sure no one would terribly complain providing the merchant wasn't representing the product listed on their site as anything but a reproduction. If all they were selling were jerseys that looked like the one worn by Totti, I'd avoid it.

You might want to research some books on advertising one liners or verbiage that will help you make effective headlines for products. As far as the legalities of such things, I would need to research some case studies. But you get the picture. If it sounds misleading, you might be doing something wrong (and against the merchant's terms of service agreement).
    Again thank you very much for teaching me,...

Thanks ABCMonkey !

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Watch out.

You can write about famous people, but be careful about using their pictures.

If you get a product link from an AM with a famous person holding the widget you are selling, that has already been approved (i.e. a George Formeman Grill) -- that's okay, but if an intellectual property attorney thought that you were abusing a famous client's right of publicity your web page could be yanked like a rug being pulled from beneath you.

Take a look at Cornell Law School's information on The Right of Publicity:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/index.php/Publicity

I can't answer any more specifics on this topic.

Thank you, very interesting link

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread