Time Flys - Been online for!
    I just did a check and find I have been online 9 years- 9 months - 17 days since 1996. ! And I am still here? I remember Haiko's posts on CJ and when Google was just starting out and paying 2 cents a click. Anyone else got some history?

ABW Ambassador
    I remember finding out that Jim Wilson was my nieghbor back in 1997 or 1998

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mailman
    I just did a check and find I have been online 9 years- 9 months - 17 days since 1996. ! And I am still here? I remember Haiko's posts on CJ and when Google was just starting out and paying 2 cents a click. Anyone else got some history?
    In September, my first web page will have been online for 9 years.

At that time, the biggie aff programs were Amazon and some video program through BeFree (what was that? ). And Linkshare was the only network.

Boy did I have high hopes ... took me 8 years to figure out how to make money with my site and to figure out that some of those classy, name-brand merchants either didn't track sales properly, didn't report sales or just didn't convert. That was the low point ... after finding merchants that did convert, it became on obsession to find others.

Finding ABW was the only thing that kept me in affiliate marketing and gave me the information and hope to carry on. Someone in here called herself a "born again affiliate marketer" a while ago and I've been using the expression to label myself ever since. ABW is the church of AM.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    heh, I remember when I was about to turn 15, and it was not alright for me to be a CJ member, that was almost seven years ago and the CJU forum had some 400 members. Time totally flies! On one hand, Just doesn't seem like things have changed so much, on the other, The world has turned upside down. But the world is round!
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

http and a telephoto
    Geocities, hypermart, nbci, a bunch of community sites that had free pages... goto had a free community... oh boy, tooooooo many I had sites that had sites that had sites that had subsites..... lol.... all had links to Amazon books, I had full sites of direct links to get that full 15% back in the day... we are talking back when the net (and I) were young... I ran my first links directory of cat resource sites back on hypermart before they started with the neverending popups ....

We've come a long way baby....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

My first code was written on a comedor vic 20 in about 1980, but I didn't see BBS boards till around 96 or 97, with my first web page dating back to 2001, when I thought I knew what I was doing. know I know better ;-)

I still have ads running from bfree on this site. I used the ads as a counter, since I didn't know how to make a counter for stats and I have still yet to make a dime from bfree.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    I still remember the old CJU boards and reading back then, a lot of Leaders posts were inspiring enough that I got off my butt and started actually working online instead of just playing on the computer.. Never looked back since then.
    First got online in late 97 pregnant, bored, wintertime, and found that there was a whole new world out there, never watched tv since, I'm addicted to the net.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Our first web site went online in 1992. There were no googles, yahoos (well maybe there have always been yahoos). The internet was a wonderfully vacant place back then. Getting visitors was simple as we were the only site of our kind on the net. hmmmmmm - sigh.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    My first code was written on a comedor vic 20 in about 1980, but I didn't see BBS boards till around 96 or 97, ...
    Thanks for reminding me about the Comodore Vic-20 computer. I was forgetting all the Basic language Code programs that I did write way back then.

Now I going to have to look for the exact date that I went online with my Tandy 1000 SX, and the Procomm program, that I used at that time to log-in to the BBS boards.

My Comodore Vic-20 computer is history, but I still got my Tandy 1000 SX, in like new condition. (Maybe one day I would be able to sell it as an antique for good money on Ebay.) :-)

i first went online in 1989 - and have been hooked ever since. First computer was a Tandy 1000 TL - the original hard drive that i bought to go in it cost almost $400 and was only 40 MB. The computer didn't originally come with a hard drive and that cost $1200
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Affiliate Manager jai @ Expedia(SEO)'s Avatar
    I remember when i was at Berkeley (Bizerkly) in the early 80s bata testing the UNIX driven browser called Gofer all the while 'surfing' around other peoples servers on Arbernet. Boy! What odd things those scientists kept on their work servers would make your Miami Vice linen shirts wrinkle!

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I remember playing a game called Empire on a system at Indiana University called Plato. It was hooked up to other universities, and you could see a graphical display of Star Trek ship types, from a top down view. You could attack other people and send out a message.

That was in 1976.

That drew me into computers, but I ended up in a technological backwater for a decade, and didn't get onto the internet with a site until 1999. Just long enough to have missed out on a lot of great keywords, unfortunately!
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

I started on an IBM AT in 1987 that I purchased at a police auction. Later that year I went online with a Hayes 1200 kbps modem and used those free frisbees from AOL for internet access. I started my online business with no plan and got a 3 page shopping mall coded in three days and served by myfreeoffice. I recently saw it on the waybackmachine and almost hurled. Time flies.
    ~Ernie

In the late 70's I got my first computer - a Sinclair Spectrum, and taught myself Spectrum Basic so I could write aps and games. Used to load programs into RAM from a tape cassette. At work, I played around with APL (anyone remember that?) - amazing language!

In 1985 I bought myself an original IBM PC for around $5000 at the time. I thought it rocked and spent hours writting programs much to the disgust of my wife. GW Basic and Dbase II were the main aps if I remember correctly.

My first venture on-line came via dial-up Compuserve. I loved the forums and downloads that were possible but hated the phone bills ($$$). The next step was the internet and needless to say, I have been hooked ever since.

Time does fly!

Colin
    Jigsaw2order.com

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread