More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    So WHY does Google Randomly Dump Sites?
    I have a site that is about 99% content. Inbound links and super-good navigation but now it's gone. All gone.

The only thing I can figure is a dup penalty for www and non-www pages both being indexed. I recently did a change to redirect all pages to www. Hopefully this will bring back my pages in the next update or two. I am wondering if the change I made causeed this.

It's really frustrating!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Lightbulb
    gone, as in site:yoursite.com?

results vary between datacenters. some of their IP numbers are available in these posts or other sources. I'd try to hit individual datacenters a little to see if there is any variance.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    gone, as in site:yoursite.com?

results vary between datacenters. some of their IP numbers are available in these posts or other sources. I'd try to hit individual datacenters a little to see if there is any variance.
    I get 15 out of 250+ pages with that search.

If I enter the domain in any form no pages are listed.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    The only thing I can figure is a dup penalty for www and non-www pages both being indexed. I recently did a change to redirect all pages to www.
    Just so I have a better understanding, were your pages previously accessible via "http://yoursite.com" as opposed to "http://www.yoursite.com"? Then changed accessibility to the latter and that's when things went to pot?

Newbie here. Just not understanding what happened, is all. I thought all sites had the 'www' natually included. Unless you were simply omitting the 'www' when you were submitting the URL's to the search engines, then I never would have thought such a benign detail would make such a negative impact.

What is the process of hitting up individual datacenters? Thx!

sometimes they penalize your domain if you send automated queries to them.
    Last edited by best123; July 31st, 2006 at 03:35 PM.

Have you been getting high-PR inbound links lately? I've noticed Google tends to focus on recent links rather than links that are a few months old. Even if you've got some good links they won't last. You need to keep them coming.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    And sometimes even good sites get hit. Sometimes SE's have issues. Right now Yahoo is having some sort of problem with my main one. Use to have everything great. I have the first letter of the words in my title tag capitalized and then Yahoo made them all lower case. Then the site disappeared. Now it's back and it's all jacked up again. They picked one word from the page and made it my title, other pages all lower case again. Don't know what's happening with all that. My other sites, all fine with Yahoo.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Cheesehead,

I think this is similar:

if I enter mysite.com - I get zip, nada at Google

if I add the www, as in

www.mysite.com

I have a PR of 6 and 17,000 pages indexed

No idea why that is happening

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by ABCMonkey
    What is the process of hitting up individual datacenters? Thx!
    there are quite a few sites that purport to show the IP numbers of the google.com datacenters. here is one:
    http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/inte...ta-centers.htm

so you take the first one, go to http://[the IP number]. do whatever commands you want: site: link: whatever . . . in fact, if you have the google toolbar installed you can watch for changes in PR also. It happens.

then go to the next and try it again. time consuming, but you get the idea of which datacenter is giving better or worse results.

the index file that an individual datacenter uses varies sometimes between centers.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    So WHY does Google Randomly Dump Sites?
    I have a site that is about 99% content.
    They do it to prove that c*ntent isn't king, not even to SEs.

It sounds like G is fubarred as usual.
    But, that fubarrage *does* prove the first line...

there are quite a few sites that purport to show the IP numbers of the google.com datacenters. here is one:
    http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/inte...ta-centers.htm
    so you take the first one, go to http://[the IP number]. do whatever commands you want: site: link: whatever . . . in fact, if you have the google toolbar installed you can watch for changes in PR also. It happens. then go to the next and try it again. time consuming, but you get the idea of which datacenter is giving better or worse results.
    Terrific resource. Interesting results. I never would had fathomed such a dfference. Thank you for the link, Herb!

Now, with that information at hand, would an affiliate use this as reference purely to check up on the health of their site with respect to Google, or does an affiliate use the information acquired target a particular I.P. that is ranking higher? When I say target, I don't know exactly what I mean there since I'm not sure if, for example, submitting SEO information on an I.P. ranked higher will do anything different than arbitrarily going to any Google I.P..

I guess I am assuming the former that it exists for site health reference.

I'm afraid that the first piece of information you're going to develop from all that is the reason why you can't see some of your sites in the search results but you'll still see others getting different views.

Example: I put up a new site and when my tracking place showed me what the visitors were looking for (view of google.com results) I didn't see the same positioning that they did. Just for giggles I used the anonymizer(?).com site and saw that a google search from a different geographic location could give different results.

What happens is that whatever "network" google is using to synchronize all the index files they use to feed the datacenters doesn't necessarily do it all at once. In fact, in the past, when a large change was coming out we'd notice all these different results and I think that is what we called the "google dance." (we've heard all different sorts of explanations of what is the current procedure and expectations . . . not sure what to believe any more)

Probably proves that no one should depend on one or all search engines for visitors.

Whats google?

doesn't sound very important to me. why bother.

I get no pages for my domain with http:// or http://w w w . I don't auto submit, although I did manually submit again (once) today.

I had something similar going on with another fairly popular content site that has a lot of backlinks pointing to it. The redirect of all pages to www seemed? to work (although it takes 3 months or so to take full effect).

I agree with you ABCMonkey, I would not think a benign detail like www or no www should affect rankings. But I think it does. I get the feeling that google is less forgiving on such matters than yahoo or msn.

Lightbulb
    I may be wrong, but I thought the problem between www and no-www had been worked on in google and mentioned in one of their blogs. if that is the case I'm surprised there is still a problem.

ABW Ambassador
    Whats google?

doesn't sound very important to me. why bother.
    Why even bother doing a post like that? If you really don't know what Google is, wait 'til you've been online for a few days and you'll find out. Or maybe ask yoiur parents if they ever heard of Google. Gee, I gotta find that quote from another thread about *someone* who doesn't know anything liking to hear themselves talk a lot. I'm starting to wonder if there should be a COPPA double-check.

The www is still an issue, and they had to try to deal with it because several years ago people were gaming the hell out of the engines (particularly Google) using www and non-www pages with inbound link spam.

That isn't the only reason for a site to have problems, if a site loses a bunch of pages, for whatever reason, take a good hard look at the inbound link situation and the internal navigation.

Let's see.

Best123 says "WTF is a Google?"

Google says "WTF is a best123?"

WTF is what?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

When I start a new site I always make references to the site with the www. I put a redirect in .htaccess on day one pointing mydomain.com to www.mydomain.com just in case.

I was doing a security certificate once and left the www out and everyone that typed in www.mydomain.com saw a security alert. I had to have the certificate redone.

ABW Ambassador
    It's just a few simple lines in htaccess to redirect it all to www. First thing that gets done when setting up for a site, that and a robots.txt even if it's blank so it won't get 404's spit out.

BTW, I just saw canonical spam yesterday, so the engines can't be blamed for being fuss-posts over it. Some wiseguys had the main content at www.example.com/index.html and completely different content at www.example.com/index.cfm and were pulling some inbound link shenanigans, getting IBLs for a completely different subject area than their main homepage.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Is a 404 for robots.txt a problem?

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread