The site is www.lowcarbfriends.com. Particularly the bulletin boards, where we're getting as many as 3-4 popups every time the screen changes. When you're clicking back and forth reading different threads, you can get like 50 popup ads lined up at the bottom of your screen in like, 5 minutes!

The site has always had popups, but in the last day or two, it has increased to the obnoxious level described above. The users there are thinking that the webmasters are making money every time these popups show up, whether they're clicked on or not. Of course, no one is clicking on them.

My question is, is there any way to tell when the site actually makes money? If the ads merely pop up, does the site make money? Does it have to be clicked on for the site to make money? Or does a sale have to result from the clickthrough?

It's so bad, people are threatening to leave the boards. Some people like me can use popup stopper programs, but lots of people use the site while at work, and can't do that. Some have worked around the problem, sort of, and listed some of the adserver sites in their restricted sites under Security in IE. But that doesn't stop all of them...some of them are "smart" ads...I'm not sure how they work, I'm sure you guys know. But putting the address in the Restricted Sites doesn't stop them from popping up.

Any help/info would be appreciated.

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: BluOrchid2 ]

Yep, they will get paid per unique visitor pop-up IF they are with a ad network - if it's just their own ads that require some sort of action from the visitor (CPA - Cost Per Action) then they won't...

Looking at their ads - it seems to be from a major network (I am seeing BT Internet ads) so yes - they are getting paid per unique visitor in every 24 hour period (at least 24 hours normally!)

It's very simple to have a script that checks if the pop-up has already displayed and so it won't do it again. But it seems they are a bit daft.

I've just had a good look around the site and yep, it's very annoying when you start to read the messages on their web board and every few seconds a javascript panel pop-ups some cruddy ads.

Especially the panel-less popup ones where you have to press ALT and F4 to close them.

AAaarggghhh!

Hi BluOrchid2,

Opps sorry -

I originally replied but didn't read your message entirely - I was suggesting pop up killers, but you already mentioned them -

You gotta love these 16 hour coding sessions.

[Edited due to brain cell fatigue]

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: Zealot ]

Some of the publishers:
    http://adfarm.mediaplex.com http://www.memberprize.com/ http://m.doubleclick.net/

Also, the darned thing tried to install GATOR on my PC, so basically the site is pushing scumware, either deliberately or not.

We had the same problem in a lot of the Site Fights guestbooks lately. (and I had it on my Dreambook guestbook) What was happening was that someone had been going around signing and in the sig leaving a code for the multiple pop-ups. You could not see the code but it was there.

You should report it, it might not be them and it might be a naughty signer. On ours they had to go in a do something to prevent people from signing this way.

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Vicki,

For that very reason, I don't allow HTML in my guestbooks. I also check them everyday and delete stuff that I, as sole judge and arbitor, find objectionable.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread