Question Is it better to have one merchant or many?
    Is it better to have a bunch of merchant's that have the same items or to have one merchant and concentrate on them?

For example, i have a shoe website. It has 134,000 items. It is quite difficult ot manage the inventory each week with datafeeds. Should I just have one merchant that i can manage and just try and SEO, PPC, or something else? Maybe one merchant of one thing, another of something else, or diversify as another kind abw member mentioned?

Thanks.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Speaking from experience... NEVER put all your eggs in one basket

i use automated datafeeds in this situation. takes the trouble out of updating the data for 100s of merchants.

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Speaking from experience... NEVER put all your eggs in one basket
    How much should I diversify? How many baskets?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    How much should I diversify?
    Every merchant has a "twin" - Target and Wal-Mart, JC Whitney and ToolKing, Sharper Image and Brookstone, etc

At least TWO... and have a third as a backup when one of the original two peeters out

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Merchant choices
    I think that it would work to have fewer merchants and have numerous sites. Kind of like you do with ppc setting up various ad groups using different key terms.

In my opinion (as an online shopper) I would much rather search for a product and get results that take me right to what I am looking for with a minimum of navigation. In sales, the best path to the sale is a short journey.

As the internet grows, web sites abound. I think the philosophy of 5 years ago to have as much stuff on your site as possible is now getting overdone. Keep in mind that when this all began, a web site had one or maybe a few products to offer. Now, folks sign up for 1,000 affiliate programs and crowd their web sites with so much content that they lose effectiveness and user ease of use.

I am a marketing manager, and not a tech, so I can say objectively that when I personally do searches, I often close a site I have clicked because it takes too much time to get to what I am looking for. I go to another site instead. If I am looking for tennis shoes, I do not want to spend time weeding through all kinds other unrelated items, or search within the landing site for the shoes I am trying to locate.

Most online shoppers are still laymen when it comes to techy stuff, so I believe keeping it simple is the best route to selling successfully. I know it works tremendously for us, and for acquaintenances I have that also market other products online - so you might consider it.

Best of Luck
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread