ABW Ambassador
    Is Orvis Lying About Their Links?
    "To better optimize its affiliate program, ORVIS asks that you refresh its links
    running on your website by September 29th, 2006. By refreshing your links, we
    will be better able to improve the performance of our program and increase your
    success.

It is important that all links be refreshed by September 29th, 2006 in order to
    successfully optimize the affiliate program and improve its performance on your
    site. This will allow us the opportunity to better monitor this year's holiday
    season and more accurately prepare for the coming year. After September 29th,
    old links will no longer be valid through your Commission Junction Account
    Manager and will not generate any traffic reports."

I think they're lying about the last part about not being valid and not generating any traffic reports. They just want affiliates to put up the new links that have those extra parameters in them. I emailed the merchant to ask.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I think they're lying about the last part about not being valid and not generating any traffic reports. They just want affiliates to put up the new links that have those extra parameters in them. I emailed the merchant to ask.
    That's exactly what I thought. Let us know if you get any response from them.

Hello-

I understand how it may seem arbitrary to have the links updated, but actually we have been updating our links' tracking system in order to better monitor performance which will improve the system for all of us!

If the links are not updated, then your reports will not be generated.

Thank you for your concerns! In the future, please feel free to contact me at hathawayj@orvis.com with any questions.

James Hathaway
    Communications Manager
    The Orvis Company

ABW Ambassador
    "If the links are not updated, then your reports will not be generated."

How is that exactly? There are plenty of old style cj links out there that get tracked, reported and commissions applied. The old Orvis links should too. They should still register clicks, set cookies etc. I don't CJ would be happy if they didn't since then they wouldn't be getting their cut from all those links.

Something does not sound right about this. How would old links not track sales admittedly, maybe there is something I am not aware of)?
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    I had some prior merchants do this. These new links give the merchants a little more info and they want you to change them out. But I don't believe that if you don't that they won't track since they're still CJ links which should still track and I think CJ would want them to still track. I think they just tell affiliates that to get them to change out the links. That's why I wanted some more info from Orvis and if they say they won't track, I'll call CJ and ask.
    Last edited by Trust; August 11th, 2006 at 05:41 PM. Reason: typo

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Trust,

When was that email dated?

I just joined and put up links this month

Hope I don't have to re-do them all

ABW Ambassador
    I think around the 1st.

Probably just installed Omniture or something and want to be able to pull better reports out of it.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Just checked. My Orvis links are Performics. Doesn't apply to me. Whew!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I smell a clickstream data-mining redirect engine getting interfaced in there somewhere. CJ's sales tracking script tag goes on the final cart checkout page not requiring link code changes. How's your new going to help your affiliates? Like your going to be able to clue them all in as to what customer facing creatives work best. You can see my Orvis showcase creatives just fine checking the merchant CJ normal click reports by looking at referral page/creative generating sales.... if you care. You just don't know the SEO/SEM keywords they use to attract visitors without some extra tagging on the referral links. Still hope CJ sets the tracking cookie.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread