Lightbulb In-house programs vs. Networks?
    Why do webmasters trust merchants who join some networks more than independent ones?

Since we started our in-house program, we are continually advised to join some network. But why? Is it the question of trust or of what?

We have some experience in being in a network ... and we did not like it. And I do not think that our affiliates liked it. When there are a plenty of merchants and affiliates in one community, there is always a lack of personal approach and custom solutions... I mean now we can consider every suggestion from webmasters concerning our discounts, datafeed etc.

So why then networks are preferable?

Regards,

Ann

Talking
    I don't know. As you should know by now - people are strange.

Everybody has their own ideas and it is hard to ever get them to change their minds about anything.

As for me - I use network merchants and indies and so far I have made a lot more money with indies than I have with network merchants.

Some times I have to use networks because the merchant that I want to use doesn't have an indie program.

You will get more affiliates if you have a network program and an indie program.

If you would put a network program at Share A Sale as well as having an indie program you will get a lot more affiliates from here.

The affiliates here have had good experiences with SAS and trust them as a network.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Thanks for advice, BurgerBoy

I won't hurry so far. I am thinking about joining a program and having an in-house program at the same time, but I will investigate and compare first.

Why hurry? We have just launched the program and I am now concentrating on the existing affiliates gaining experience from them.

Regards,

Ann

I think the main reason people like the networks is because its easier to reach minimum payment levels thru the networks. Plus less places to go to hunt down the creative or datafeeds needed for our sites.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

ABW Ambassador
    Why not DO BOTH

Talking
    Ann

I noticed that you only have a 10 day cookie. Most affiliates don't like to mess around with any program that has less than a 30 day cookie.

You need to change your cookie to at least 30 days or longer.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    From dealing with people for 35 years Ann, I would say that your first question "is it a trust issue or what?" is probably one of the big issues. If you review posts over the past year here, you see a lot of trust motivated posts.

When an average publisher thinks of aligning with a merchant, one of the major concerns is trust. By nature we don't trust people to be ethical, and so there is doubt about or objections to reporting, cookies, chargebacks, wholesale changes in commissions or qualified sales etc etc.

A big publisher on the other hand has the resources to enforce ethical business practice - accountability, and in those cases, an indy program can be to their advantage.

With a network program that handles payment to the affiliate, the issue of on time payment or trust is addressed by the network. As you said, you have time. So if you are patient, you can learn from the best teacher ------ hands on experience!

Best of luck to you.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Thumbs up Thanks to all!
    Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx

With a network program that handles payment to the affiliate, the issue of on time payment or trust is addressed by the network. As you said, you have time. So if you are patient, you can learn from the best teacher ------ hands on experience!

Best of luck to you.
    Thanks, Alan ... and all of you.
    I appreciate your help and explainations.
    I think we will do both ... in the nearest future.

Regards,

Ann

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    In-house programs vs. Networks?
    From what Ive experienced, its all about trust.

Emilio-ARC

Has anyone been burned by a network -- most have terms that states if the advertiser does not pay, they don't have to pay.

Also, why would someone have a short-term cookie?

Hi - I'm the affiliate manager for [edited] and I've been deciding whether to join a network for a while and I'm still up in the air. Good affiliates seem hard to find without joining a network. What are your thoughts? Which networks do merchants like best?
    Last edited by Akiva; September 28th, 2006 at 05:29 PM. Reason: To plug your program you need to pay for advertising.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Choicemgr
    Hi - I'm the affiliate manager for ChoiceShirts.com and I've been deciding whether to join a network for a while and I'm still up in the air. Good affiliates seem hard to find without joining a network. What are your thoughts? Which networks do merchants like best?
    Welcome to ABW!!! You already heard my thoughts last week You may want to start a new thread of your own asking for input...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Hi - I'm the affiliate manager for ChoiceShirts.com and I've been deciding whether to join a network for a while and I'm still up in the air. Good affiliates seem hard to find without joining a network. What are your thoughts? Which networks do merchants like best?
    SAS & Avant Link are both wonderful. But please keep your indy program for a while so I don't have to change thousands of links right now. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

* * * Good affiliates seem hard to find without joining a network. What are your thoughts? Which networks do merchants like best?
    Good affiliates are always hard to find (or at least, hard to recruit). Being in a network may bring you some extra affiliates, and some of them might become significant for you -- but 90% of strong affiliates come to a program because they have been recruited directly by the affiliate manager.

I like ShareASale, both as an affiliate and (since August) as an affiliate manager for a new merchant. I've often mentioned here that I despise Commission Junction (CJ) and LinkShare (LS).

I have come to strongly believe that merchants should offer multiple affiliate channels -- direct as well as network, and sometimes participation in multiple networks makes sense. With an affiliate network, you meet some affiliates where they are comfortable. With direct relationships, you sometimes have more flexibility.

http and a telephoto
    Being in a network may bring you some extra affiliates, and some of them might become significant for you -- but 90% of strong affiliates come to a program because they have been recruited directly by the affiliate manager.
    I disagree with that statement, but if it's true I have a LOT more reach than I thought!!!! There are some great affiliates that I am able to bring to programs I manage, but for example, I opened a program on Shareasale last Friday and have had a steady stream of sign ups, and sales are already happening from those sign ups. Those are people that saw us in the SAS new merchants area. Not to reduce the role of the affiliate manager in recruiting, but part of that recruiting is the way you implement your program in the network, what your terms are, and whether your product is attractive to many of the existing affiliates in that network. The network also give your program credibility in some affiliates minds, and having the affiliate manager contact info readily visible helps also. There are also promotional opportunities within the network interface that can get your program in front of appropriate affiliates.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Why do you despise Linkshare. Can someone give me pros.cons to SAS and Linkshare.

Thanks,
    Kerri

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread