Google Vs. Overture
    We currently have accounts with both Google and Overture...but Overture doesn't seem to be pulling its weight. I have read a lot of posts (on other websites) of people *****ing about Yahoo...how they use a lot of "Sneaky" web marketing techniques that create too much "junk traffic."

My experience with Google has been amazing. I called up my representative there and they said they would spend the next week having a three-person team write a report for us on how to best optimize our current search program...and when they send it to us, we can enact all their changes by pushing one button! SWEET!

I wrote an email to Yahoo asking if they had representatives in place to help us optimize (no response yet).

Does anyone know if Overture assigns reps to people to help them optimize like Google?

ABW Ambassador
    Yes Yahoo! has reps. Depends on your monthly spand.
    Historically PPC can have different results in different industries.

well...we spend more on Google than Yahoo. I wish I knew how much we had to spend before we had their "undivided attention" the way we do with Google.

In general, though, Overture doesn't perform as well as Google. MSN comes really close, but they don't have as much market share. You pretty much just have to weigh your ROI on each PPCSE. Also, the best techniques are different. With Google, you want to maximize clicks. With Overture, you want to prequalify clicks.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    G Versus Y
    We've worked with both Google and Overture / Yahoo for over four years now. There is no comparison from my viewpoint. We are very large advertisers with Google because we reap a 400 - 500% ROI with them - and that does not count recurring revenues we realize from sales originally generated through G campaigns.

During our first couple years with Yahoo, our ppc campaigns returned 180 - 200%. Not unacceptable. However when we'd up the budget, invariably we would end up with a ton of unconverted clicks and a much lower ROI. Over the years we've fine tuned our Overture campaigns by creating pre-qualifying click ads, bids based on top 15 - 20 results and more targeted matching.

I agree with Michael that it depends on what your industry is or what you are marketing, but overall G is a far superior organization with a much more responsive / higher quality direct sales market.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Msn
    Forgot to mention that thus far MSN is doing extremely well for us on conversion from click to sale. However, as Michael stated, their audience is much much smaller.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Im strongly considering giving Overture the boot entirely. I have been reading up on MSN and have heard good things...that they are getting their act together etc. I don't see a problem with investing with them provided that they show us the $$$.

What do you think should be a minimum budget to float an MSN / Overture campaign? We spend tens of thousand on Google a month...perhaps explaining why they have been so nice to us.

How big is MSN's audience? I know that Google and Yahoo both claim 80% of web traffic (or maybe they each claim 40% I cant remember).

In addition, Yahoo is supposedly ditching the Overture name and switching it to something called Panama - but this activity has been delayed. Maybe we should put them down until they get their issues worked out.

I get about an 8th as much traffic from MSN as I do from Google with roughly the same keywords and ads.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

All I know is, after I saw Google's AdWords interface, Google Analytics and Gmail - Not to mention their support team. I began looking at their stock price and planning to buy. No one comes close...I feel like Yahoo and MSN are just blithering morons compared to Google.

I was trying to make sense of Yahoo Overture's whole...thing and it just seemed to make no f*cking sense the way it was put together. Meh!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread