http and a telephoto
    lil quake :)
    My first California earthquake!!!! I was in NYC for the post 9/11 small quake that hit a couple weeks after .... and tonight I was on the phone with someone and said "the ground just rolled!" and sure enough I just saw reports that there was a 4.4 quake way north of here.... kewl... no casualities... just a little rock and roll...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    My first California earthquake!!!! I was in NYC for the post 9/11 small quake that hit a couple weeks after .... and tonight I was on the phone with someone and said "the ground just rolled!" and sure enough I just saw reports that there was a 4.4 quake way north of here.... kewl... no casualities... just a little rock and roll...
    Congrats on surviving your first rocker Deb! :-) Anything under a 5 pointer is a baby quake and just enough to remind you that they're part of life in California. Living through a big ol' shaker ain't fun at all. Kinda like being in a bottle and shaken as hard as possible with furniture and appliances flying through the air - sucks huge. Not trying to scare you off or anything ... LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

When my Mom goes to Cali she wants an earthquake to happen, just so she "can experience one". She's not right. I guess she's bored with the hurricanes down here.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Living through a big ol' shaker ain't fun at all.
    I've been through every major California quake since '71 and if I can remember correctly, yeah, they kind of suck. But, some were indeed sort of fun (from the perspective of rolling through the baby ones). After a while, you almost get accustomed to them and react intuitively to the earth's movement.

Best experience was in my car driving into Pasadena during the Whittier Narrows quake. I didn't even know a quake was occurring. I thought I was having a flat tire. It wasn't until I got to school that I realized a quake had occurred.

The most recent 'big' one was Northridge, and unfortunately, we were at the epicenter for that one. I must say, that one was not fun in the least bit. However, we got to meet President Clinton for that one.

Although many come in rolls, some often come with a sudden bang. The rolls are fine. You can almost get out of harms way with those. The bangers are just terrible. Scares the hell out of me, especially since most of those types have occurred early in the morning when I'm sleeping or just waking up.

The closer you are at the epicenter, the bigger impact. And depending on the type of fault, you can get an idea of what kind of quake will occur there. And, everyone talks about the long San Andreas Fault and how bad that one will be when it releases. The one to worry about in SoCal is the lesser known Newport fault. That one's building up more than old San Andreas. If that one ever goes, liquifaction will probably take out a good portion of high end Orange County real estate. That one would really suck.

Get used to them, Loxly. There will be a lot more! But no worries, they're usually harmless. Especially since California codes have fairly strick building codes (at least for post 60's construction). Anyway, I'll take earthquakes over hurricanes, tornadoes, floods and fires anytime.

Speaking of fires, you don't live near the mountain areas, do you?

Fault Lines in California

And to give you an idea of how many quakes occur in California:

Updated list of Quakes

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Are you sure it was not your speakers that is rocking and rolling
    Glad that you and everybody in CA is fine

glad everything's ok.

on of my sisters is in CA, I should check up on her.

Is there a fault line anywhere near NY , NJ?

I found some fault line charts here:

http://www.gisdevelopment.net/techno...s/image002.gif

http://www.forceborne.com/FBW/Tech/fault_line_chart.htm

Pacific ring of fire:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Ring_of_Fire

All this reminds me of how small and insignificant I am when compared to this whole Universe.

ABW Ambassador

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ABCMonkey
    I've been through every major California quake since '71 and if I can remember correctly, yeah, they kind of suck. But, some were indeed sort of fun (from the perspective of rolling through the baby ones).
    Hell, all of them were fun for me until I had a child to worry about then they just started to scare the crap outta me.

The most recent 'big' one was Northridge, and unfortunately, we were at the epicenter for that one. [/QUOTE]

Horrors, huh? I was 8 months pregnant for that one, trying to get to my 5 year-old but getting thrown back down every time I managed to get back up. We were close enough to the epicenter (Studio City) to get the shaking and pounding of our life and lost more than 30 thousand dollars worth of antiques, china, collectibles and crystal. That one was like being in a bottle shaken as hard as possible. By far the worst. I was also in the '71 quake but that was when they were still fun and all the breaking glass and furniture wasn't mine. ;-)

Although many come in rolls, some often come with a sudden bang. The rolls are fine. You can almost get out of harms way with those. The bangers are just terrible. Scares the hell out of me, especially since most of those types have occurred early in the morning when I'm sleeping or just waking up. [/QUOTE]

The rollers are still fun and do little harm except to remind us we're prone to quakes. The bangers aren't so bad as long as they only last a few seconds. It's those shakers and bangers combined that'll rattle your senses and scare the out of everyone. The only positive is most of those biggies are in the middle of the night or very early morning so most people are home and not on the collapsing freeways.

All we can do is realize that the earth is gonna belch and hiccup and deal with it. The liquification factor on some fault lines is what's horrifying. Getting ot of the way of flying objects is the least worry then.

Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Hell, all of them were fun for me until I had a child to worry about then they just started to scare the crap outta me.
    Yeah, I manage quakes very well. But when it comes to loved ones, that's when I start feeling a bit of fear. During Northridge, we did not have time. We were visiting my girlfriend's parent's place who also had loads of antiques surrounding our bed. The quake hit, and without having a chance to get out of the way, I just immediately covered my girlfriend while the grandfather clock slammed down on my back. Wasn't fun, but at least the protective instincts kicked in since running across the room wasn't an option.

The only positive is most of those biggies are in the middle of the night or very early morning so most people are home and not on the collapsing freeways.
    Yeah, I think we were just lucky there. I was on the telephone with my buddy up in San Francisco right when the big game started. Strange experience hearing someone run for cover without explanation. That was early evening still daylight, and we all know what happened to all those poor souls during the Loma Prieta earthquake on the Nimitz . A nightmare.

All we can do is realize that the earth is gonna belch and hiccup and deal with it. The liquification factor on some fault lines is what's horrifying. Getting ot of the way of flying objects is the least worry then.
    Yes indeed. Just a fact of life. Do you remember during Northridge a telecast that only had but just a few seconds of coverage? Out off of PCH, a structure and most of a parking lot was covered with sand. Not a big deal since nothing collapsed. But the bloody parking lot actually sank. Liquifaction is one of the things that is hardly ever covered but is one scary affair.

Oh well, earthquakes, fire and traffic -- par for the course for living in the most spoiled part of the nation. Probably not a bad tradeoff either for what is relatively the most temperate part of the country too.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    4.4?????

Hey! That's like a bus or truck passing by

I remember during the Northridge quake, the cabinets in the kitchen all opened, and I watch the glassware in the right wall cabinets fly over to the left wall cabinets

But seriously Deb, the scary part about the 2s and 4s is... you don't know if they're the start of a 7 or 8.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    But seriously Deb, the scary part about the 2s and 4s is... you don't know if they're the start of a 7 or 8.
    Thanks for that nice thought....

Thank goodness this was my first and last CA earthquake.....
    Deborah Carney

I hear Ohio has gotten a lot of quakes this year

I live in Ohio, hadn't noticed.

I remember living in Santa Cruz. First quake always is a rush.

Take care,

Brian

the earth is gonna belch and hiccup and deal with it.

Awwh now that has to be the nicest description I've heard regarding earthquakes. lol
    Can't even imagine what you must've felt like being that far along in your pregnancey and looking after your little girl while all was going on. Sorry you lost what you did

You guys are brave living through them. Think I'd be outa there real quick..I don't even like roller coasters. lol definitely don't think I'd like all that moving around. I knew a guy hit by a tree in his car driving down the street though that's been really screwed up since so guess there's not much you can really do about it. Something's gonna happen it's gonna happen.

Glad you were ok Deb...and the rest of you from your experiences, too.

Last? Did I miss something?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Last? Did I miss something?
    PM me or call.... you have my number
    Deborah Carney

Busy afternoon.. Will later