Are sales and marketing people susceptible?
    Way, way back when I was much younger, I worked at a variety of direct sales jobs. My results varied from quite good to abysmally poor. But, in all they were interesting experiences.

One thing that has stuck in my mind all these years is a statement by one of the sales force leaders that a good salesman is usually the same type of person he is looking for: someone that is easy to sell something to. Now, after much personal growth, I realize that the product they were trying to market was truley a scam, or at best whishful thinking. It's claimed performance was an impossibility according to the laws of physics.

At that time period I was quite susceptable to sales pitches. But, as I've grown in life experience, I find that I am almost totally immune to everything
    that could be classified as an advertisement or sales pitch. It's probably brought about by being inundated with advertising and telemarketers all day long day after day.

So, my question:

Does the statement that a good salesman [or marketer] is the same type of person he's looking for, someone easy to sell something to ring true to you folks?

Mike

I dont think the 2 are similar.

A person who sells knows exactly what to say or do to make a person believe they need the thing. This same sales person can pick up the jargon when he is being sold to, identify it, and automatically will tell himself that this is the usual sales talk and not let himself fall for it.

Shelly

ABW Ambassador
    "a good salesman is usually the same type of person he is looking for: someone that is easy to sell something to."

I actually don't understand that. A lot of times salesman are selling something they would never buy themselves so they wouldn't be looking for someone like that. Usually looking for an easy mark. But if they're selling something they truly believe in and use themselves, it's a different story.

ABW Ambassador
    I see my job as helping people find what they already know they need and want.
    They search, they find and they BUY.
    NO BS

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    That manager, who thinks both sales people and customers are marks, is why most sales jobs suck. If you ditch that thinking (and targeting), you can still be very succesful and uber-happy (you're helping people!). If you are to sell something succesfully, you don't have to be an interested buyer, but you do have to see the value in it to others. If you don't, you'll come across as insincere and you'll go to sleep at night feeling like you're fudging your own feelings into words that even you don't believe - just to make a living. If you don't see the value to your buyers and pospects, in what you're selling, find another sales job (or merchant).

And keep in mind that we are more marketer, than sales people here. Our aim is sales, but we are affiliate marketers, not online salespeople. Our goal is to find a way to match people up with stuff they're interested in, likely interested in or searching specifically for. Filling a need is the same thing as solving a problem. I'm quite proud of what I do and that I do it without a sales manager, especially one that spews insulting rhetoric.

I am totally immune to blinking gaudy bright banners that blind my eyes

and anything that moves.

I don't know if there's anyone in the world that click on them.

I spent 4 years in face-to-face sales of financial services products, widely regarded as being the most difficult sales market.

The biggest a-holes I have come across in my life have been sales managers. They are SO damned good at selling - that they, er, well, they don't actually do it any more, but get other people to do it for them instead.

A sales manager will say ANYTHING they think will work - everything is experimental, every sentence and phrase is like approaching a new prospect.

I learnt an awful lot about sales and marketing in that time that has helped me enormously in my AM activities, bt the only thing I learnt from a sales manager is that all sales managers are t**ts.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by solo_voyager
    One thing that has stuck in my mind all these years is a statement by one of the sales force leaders that a good salesman is usually the same type of person he is looking for: someone that is easy to sell something to.
    He was absolutely right. A salesman is the easiest sale for a good salesman.
    Depending on what you are selling, if your prospect is a successful salesman, you know that you can
    A) get him excited about what he is buying, because in order to be good at one on one sales you have to be somewhat excitable and exude excitement
    B) play the empathy card, we have all done it, given someone a break and said, "Yeah I remember when..."
    C) if he is a successful salesman he has done his homework and knows what he wants. If you find yourself in front of him because he came to you, you are most likely going to make a deal with him.

I say the guy was correctamundo. When I sold cars, shoes, services of my own and just about everything else I have sold in my life, there has been a pattern of other sales people being an easier deal than those in other professions.

I find that it's more of a watershed for me. For deceptive practices, I intentionally avoid anything that would provide income to a scumball. For good salespeople, I go out of my way to make sure they get their commission.

If I click through a link and I see it's an MFA page, I never click on a link. Even if I see something I'm interested in, I go directly to the site instead of clicking a link and feeding the MFA site.

If I find an offline salesman who is especially helpful and I'm not ready to buy right away, I find out if they're on commission and make sure to ask for them when I return and recommend them to my friends.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    For good salespeople, I go out of my way to make sure they get their commission.
    Likewise - I also ask if they're on commission or bonus, usually gets a defensive response until I say that i'll definitely come back to them personally to buy if they are.

Most people are pretty defensive in being "sold" to - a common reaction I'd hear was "we'll get it from the bank if we need it" - banks are invariably always the absolute worst value finacial services providers, they also have consistantly the worst investment performance.

The worst people to sell to are those in public service jobs. The concept of earning the money you make in terms of real financially valuable work is an unknown area to most of them - they usually get paid for ticking boxes. They have this almost hatred of valuing effort in terms of performance, as a result they usually end up with the worst value products of all - at least in financial services and other products that are most frequently "sold".

In the end I guess, it's a case of varied markets for various types of personality. I'd still NEVER trust a sales manager as far as I could chuck them though - salesmen yes.

I dont see a relationship between being a good salesperson and being easy to "sell" something.

I also don't believe that a good salesperson ever has to "pitch" or "close" anything.

A good salesperson is a solver of problems. As a manager, I train my employees to discern whether or not a prospect has a problem/pain that we can help solve.

Having said that, the type of selling that I am used to is more corporate and not direct-to-consumer. I think direct sales people lean on their consumer too hard and are looking for a quick close.

I am more interested in serving client needs and fostering a trusting, long-term business relationship.

Paul....you've had the bad kind of sales manager. The good kind is a consultant, constantly trying to evolve the sales person's skills and abilities. A good manager is a resource to the sales force, not a manipulator of the sales force.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    Interestingly I have noticed myself clicking on more Google ads and other ads that I know are pay per click on certain Blogs and other sites I frequent more often (kinda like a reward for good sites) even if I am not particularly interested in the Ad.

As far as salesmen... I was in Real Estate sales for a while (and Lobser sales for even longer before that) I understand Sales techniques in my sleep and frequently salespeople enjoy working with me because I cut through the Sales Pitch and just get to the facts I don't buy the pitch I buy the product.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

ABW Ambassador
    >>I don't buy the pitch

You can smell it a mile away!

I graduated with a degree in Marketing...during the process I completely lost my ability to be swayed by any advertising / sales claims I think. What goes on behind this scenes is so very ugly...people don't buy things unless they get excited about them and this excitement usually has some sort of fabrication at its core.

I have wondered also if people who sell or do marketing have to be susceptable to messages in order to be successful. I think it is true in the respect of motivation. Yet not in order to be effective. Selling and marketing are different and they are more like a science along with social skills. A person has to devolop a skill to remove their own prejudgement in order to test possibilities. To be motivated, though, a person has to be open to the suggestive messages that selling uses. The excitement that you feel for something is suggesting that someone else or perhaps many other people would too. If you are the kind of person who thinks about topics relating to sales and marketing. Not everyone is. Which is why some people misunderstand a selling process and sometimes feel a little tricked occasionally. Hence the reputation of people involved in sales and marketing.
    Danny K. - Network Administrator, Digital River- oneNetworkDirect.com, Email: dkautt@digitalriver.com

All I know is that Coke commericals just make me laugh. Everyime I hear people talking about how Coke is so much better than Pepsi I feel like I am listening to a religious argument and not anything having to do with reality.

Its fricken water with sugar in it. There is no secret ingredient in Coke that makes it better and if there was it would be Bull Sh*t spewed by their marketing department.

ABW Ambassador
    "Coke is so much better than Pepsi"

Truth. Coke is it, it's the real thing.

I have some hoodia cactus to sell you my friend...instant weight loss in two weeks. Mostly of the wallet-variety.

ABW Ambassador
    No problems in the weight department, how's it working for you?

I drink Coke because I like it, not because of the marketing. And because it's the best. You just can't beat the feeling. If I could I would buy the world a Coke.

Stop that you nasty salesman. You're making me want a coke.
    Danny K. - Network Administrator, Digital River- oneNetworkDirect.com, Email: dkautt@digitalriver.com

Affiliate Manager
    I wonder if they started putting cocaine back in there...thats originally why they called it "Coke" ya know?

ABW Ambassador
    I was thinking that's what they put in Krispy Kremes. Pretty much $0 spent on marketing and when they open new stores, the give the donuts away for free. Get them hooked and then make them pay.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by WildGames!
    I wonder if they started putting cocaine back in there...thats originally why they called it "Coke" ya know?
    They replaced the cocaine with caffine because it is addictive to.

Try getting off of caffine and just see how bad the headache you get is.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Are we talking about Krispy Kremes again? I swear when I eat one or god forbid two; ten minutes later I feel like a diabetic!

Too Sweet and no options in the menu that arent too sweet. Ever hear of a plain raised donut Krispy Kreme executives? Or an Old fashioned or something that isnt glazed? Man even the chocalate or then dunked in sugar after galzing the top with chocolate.

Eeek!

But if you like them that is cool. Obviously someone does.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread