quick Frontpage question
    I read somewhere at Linkshare that we're supposed to put
    <!--Webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan -->
    before links and then afterwards. Are there any other link issues regarding CJ, Performics, SAS, Amazon or any of the other in house or network programs with FP or is it safe to place whatever it is that the above means before and after any link?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Just use the "insert" tool and choose HTML. Paste in the affiliate code and FP automatically places the isolation (leave me alone) tags around the code.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thank you very much ecomcity for answering my question I realize I'm going to sound really stupid but could you please tell me where the insert html is? I'm sure it's probably really obvious and staring me in the face but I've looked and looked and not come up with it. lol Up to this point I've made 3 sites without any type of affiliate links in them and have just created them with a blank page and just typing in the html in it myself.
    Really only using FP for the contact us form, search (although have made it but not tried it yet because in the process of making that site) and the photo gallery seems nice. Haven't really learned much yet about FP. It was given to me as a gift and just haven't had time to read the gigantic book yet. lol
    I want to attempt (notice I said attempt cos I'm a little bit of a scaredy cat thinking of all sorts of things that may go wrong. lol ) to put my main affiliate related site into FP but want to make sure the links will work.

Hey, purplebear what version of FP you running? 2003 shows it clearly on the top of the screen, fourth word in the menu bar from the left "insert"....

Find it?
    Mark (Satchel)
    Webmaster / Sales Manager
    [url]www.tsmgroup2.biz[/url]

tsmgroup2 - thank you for trying to help me
    Yeap, it's the 2003 version. I swear I must be blind or something. lol I have stared at it and stared at it. Tried it in the design, code, preview version and there ain't no html anywhere to be seen lisetd under Insert. lol I don't know why but it's not....nothing there that says anything about html. They're listed as File, Edit, View, Insert and under Insert it's got Web component, form, blah, blah, blah....but not html Ummm beginning to feel really stupid. lol You guys are seeing something but I'm not.

purplebear,
    you're right. there is no "html" under insert... don't know why ecomcity stated that... he'll have to recheck and repost the correction. he goofed it....
    I am as baffled as you are... but I'll tell ya what... use the replace feature under edit just like wordpad and you'll be able to change alot of stuff quicker, it saved me alot of time this past weekend...
    hope this helps...
    Mark (Satchel)
    Webmaster / Sales Manager
    [url]www.tsmgroup2.biz[/url]

Mark
    That's easier for me to remember than your username.
    Ah ha....I'm not blind as a bat. lol
    OK Mark....umm you made me happy by letting me know that it wasn't just me who wasn't seeing "insert html"......Are you trying to confuse me even more now? Just teasing
    hmmm think I'm gonna start again. While at Linkshare (least think that's where it was..been so long since I originally posted not sure where it was now. lol )
    It said when using FP to place <!--Webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan --> before and after the code so it wouldn't have something maybe the & taken out of the code or something because of FP. Have a feeling I don't use FP the way it's meant to be uesd. Have only made 2 sites with it but most has just been me using the code version and putting in my own html to make the page. Neither of these sites had aff. links on them. But.....one I'm making now does. So...when I've put the aff. code for links into the code version (not sure if that's how others do it or not) the same time I put in <!--Webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan --> before and afterwards. My site's not online being used yet so not sure if tracking is ok or not. My original question was.....did anything have to be done at any of the other networks to avoid a problem with FP removing anything from aff. links.

I've never done: "use the replace feature under edit just like wordpad and you'll be able to change alot of stuff quicker" So....umm don't have a clue what that's about...Told ya I don't think I'm using FP the way I'm probably supposed to be using it. lol

Thank you very much for attempting to help and thank you, thank you for letting me know it wasn't just me who wasn't seeing things. lol Sorry if I've confused matters more

I'll have to search for the post you mention cause I don't know about that but if you are asking how to insert html in frontpage 2003 did you try right click at insertion point then selecting the hyperlink option. It's what I do to insert html code.

Off to search the linkshare posts.

Oooooooh mellie I hope you didn't go looking for the post...it's right here at the beginning of this one. I was just asking if you have to put <!--Webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan --> before and after the links from Linkshare in order not to have FP mess with em. I read I think it was at Linkshare that FP is supposed to take out the & or something like that for some reason and to stop it from doing so...you're supposed to put that in your code.
    Was wondering if this was the case and if you have to do it with any other networks???

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    PurpleBear, not sure if you figured out where the "insert HTML" is in FP 2003 - it's a green planet with what looks like a silver chain link underneath icon, sixth from the right on the top nav bar.

I, too, would love an answer to the LS/FP code question.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

15 years and counting
    purplebear - Are there any other link issues regarding CJ, Performics, SAS, Amazon or any of the other in house or network programs with FP or is it safe to place whatever it is that the above means before and after any link?
    As long as you have special characters it's safer to use <!--Webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan --> ... around your links.
    FrontPage is known to mess up the code and to replace by ex:
    & by &amp;
    LinkShare have & in their links or even in your ID and DON"T TRACK if &amp; is used instead of &.
    For years, they said nothing to their affiliates. And the links were not tracking IF you used FrontPage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    As long as you have special characters it's safer to use <!--Webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan --> ... around your links.
    FrontPage is known to mess up the code and to replace by ex:
    & by &amp;
    LinkShare have & in their links or even in your ID and DON"T TRACK if &amp; is used instead of &.
    For years, they said nothing to their affiliates. And the links were not tracking IF you used FrontPage.
    This is really scary. Means there are potentially hundreds of bad links on my site. Gee, could be why LS merchants do so poorly on my site . LMAO -

So we need to add <!--Webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan --> in front of our LS links and then <!--Webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan --> after them or just <!--Webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan --> in front?

I would consider this VITAL information and yeah, shame on LS for not telling anyone for years. *slap* - we need a "slap!" smilie :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

15 years and counting
    Rexanne, you really need to look at your code for your LinkShare links. If you see &amp; instead of &, you're in trouble especially if you had older version of FP for a while.
    It doesn't matter for CJ, you can have encoded characters they still track.

LS added a warning somewhere on their site but I don't know where. I'll try again.

Here's an other link:
    http://www.associateprograms.com/art...referral-links
    Three ways to avoid corrupted referral links
    ===============================================
    Last week I mentioned that HTML editors such as FrontPage can wreck affiliate URLs by adding extraneous characters.

David Eyler of RosemarysJewelry.com comments:

"The fix, as you probably know, is to paste the HTML into WordPad (SimpleText, whatever) which strips the formatting and yields a paste FrontPage doesn't feel it must try to format (font, etc.)."

The LinkShare newsletter recently offered another way the handle the problem of corrupted links.

It said:

"Front Page, a common Web page editor, inserts an extra string
    <!--& --> into the code generated by LinkShare. The
    insertion corrupts the code and causes the links to function
    improperly. You can correct the problem by enclosing the
    LinkShare code within the following Front Page tags:
    <!--Webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan -->
    LinkShare code goes here.
    <!--Webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan -->

"LinkShare e-mails received in an e-mail application, such as
    Eudora, may alter your LinkShare code found within the e-mail.
    To amend this impediment, log in at http://www.linkshare.com
    and generate the code directly from your account."

Dreamweaver HTML editor can automatically alter referral links which have the % character in them.

"Gram" told the Associate Programs Message Board that Dreamweaver3 users need to turn off an automatic code change option.

To turn off the automatic code option, go to
    EDIT/Preferences/HTML Rewriting
    and uncheck "Encode Special Characters in URLs".

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Rexanne
    , you really need to look at your code for your
    LinkShare
    links. If you see &amp; instead of &, you're in trouble especially if you had older version of FP for a while.
    It doesn't matter for CJ, you can have encoded characters they still track.
    O M G - I'm gonna be reeling by the end of the day. LOL

Thanks Zeus, you've been a great help today in this and another thread!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    O M G - I'm gonna be reeling by the end of the day. LOL
    Thanks Zeus, you've been a great help today in this and another thread!
    No problem. I'm glad to help, if I can.
    They said in the article I referenced:
    "and causes the links to function improperly."
    It's not 100% correct.
    A link with an extra character &..., works and redirect to the right page on the merchant site. So the merchant see the traffic and can make the sale.
    The problem IS: LinkShare DON"T TRACK and you're not paid.
    It's quite vicious and the Messers silence on that problem was ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    it's a green planet with what looks like a silver chain link underneath icon, sixth from the right on the top nav bar.
    Ahhhh now we're talkin my kind of computer technical language This I can understand. Thank you. Yeap, I do see that it's there. I know I'm really bad. lol I should learn what all the thingies are instead of just putting in the html code the way I do it. A biggie I discovered recently was how to undo having the link underlined. lol I searched a long time before I had FP to find a line of css to accomplish the same thing. lol

Zeus
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for answering my question. So, if I want to be on the really safe side of doing things I could put the <!--Webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan --> in front of and after any affiliate links ??(doesn't matter which network or individual program, it'll work for all of them? ) I can't remember how but think I just stumbled upon what it said at Linkshare regarding FP by accident. I can't remember where it was I read it either.

Rexanne I hope you don't find too many of the links that have been changed

Just when I'm finally beginning to make friends with FP, I definitely don't need it to be screwing up any links. lol

Thank you both for all of your help. I really, really appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Ahhhh now we're talkin my kind of computer technical language This I can understand. Thank you. Yeap, I do see that it's there. I know I'm really bad. lol I should learn what all the thingies are instead of just putting in the html code the way I do it. A biggie I discovered recently was how to undo having the link underlined. lol I searched a long time before I had FP to find a line of css to accomplish the same thing. lol

Rexanne I hope you don't find too many of the links that have been changed
    PB - we speak the same language. - I am the original idiot savant of web sites. LOL

I didn't find any bad LS links. Probably because I only just started using LS merchants in the past year again and there weren't old LS links corrupted by an older version of FP. I might still find some as I go through sites ... thanks to Zeus, I know what to look for.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

15 years and counting
    purplebear, it will not hurt your earning to add <!--Webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan --> around your affiliate links even if it's not needed most of the time. FrontPage even in its latest version can be strange sometimes.
    Here's the link from LinkShare, it's in the help section:
    http://ssl.linksynergy.com/php-bin/a...telinks33.html

Thanks purplebear I meant I went looking for the original thread where it spoke of reasons to do this. I found, read up at LS too & then checked several links. I don't see anywhere on my sites where FP changed code. Since I don't do real well with ls I am going to double check all links. I do well with other networks so I think I really have to look into this.

mellie
    Good I'm glad that's what you meant. I would've hated if I had caused you to spend time looking for someething in another spot. Hope you don't find any bad links.

Rexanne - I'm getting the impression more I get to know ya...our minds do seem to think alike. Look out world. lol Glad you haven't found any bad links.

Zeus - said it before but really do mean it. Thank you very much for your help

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread