Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Site Search - What's Everybody Using?
    There are some old threads but things change so I was just wondering what you are using for those that actually have site search on their sites.

I'm working on my first new site in years and want to find something good. Something that will work will regular html, no php or anything like that. I used atomz now http://www.websidestory.com/ in the past which I like. It's free but they added Adsense. You can pay to get rid of it which I don't have a problem with. I just emailed them for the current rates. Just wanted to see what else is out there before I make a final decision. Thanks.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I only se GoldenCan because nothing else I've found I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    There are some old threads but things change so I was just wondering what you are using for those that actually have site search on their sites.

I'm working on my first new site in years and want to find something good. Something that will work will regular html, no php or anything like that. I used atomz now http://www.websidestory.com/ in the past which I like. It's free but they added Adsense. You can pay to get rid of it which I don't have a problem with. I just emailed them for the current rates. Just wanted to see what else is out there before I make a final decision. Thanks.
    When you find out, can you post or PM me the rates please?

I used to use Atomz until my sites got too big - then I went to Google site search as I thought I might as well earn instead of Atomz earning on my behalf.

The cheapest paid-for search used to be $10,000 per annum with Atomz which I thought was just ridiculous. Be interested to hear if it's become any more realistic as I'm not so impressed with Google search anymore.

ABW Ambassador
    "I only se GoldenCan because nothing else I've found I liked."

Goldencan is not site search Jack.

Just called them, atomz
    $5000 for a year for up to 2500 pages.

It's a new site, so that ain't going to work.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Depending on your site and how long u r going to stick to the site/format, etc.
    It might be cheaper to get something written for ur site

Google webversion is nice but they always have that option of G logo there

I found this when i was doing some research
    http://www.google.com/enterprise/

We are using SiteLevel. Used to use Atomz until they switched over to using Adsense on the return pages.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Talking
    TrustNo1

I use http://www.xav.com/ on all of my sites. You can customize the results page to match your site.

You can also use it to crawl remote sites and have the results added to your search results.

Let's say you have 4 sites. Install it on all four sites. Have each site crawl all four sites. A search on any one site will return search results on all four of your sites.

It is free. It installs itself automatically. There are no ads. All that is on the result pages is what you want on the result page.

It's a perl search engine. I have used it on my sites for 2 years now and have never had any problems with it at all.

It has an admin page so you can control everything that it does.

It's good for about 100,000 pages before you start to really notice a slow down in returning results.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Fdse
    Alternative for Matt's search script

Creating a search form

FDSE is an easy-to-install search engine for local and remote sites. It returns fast, accurate results from a template-driven architecture. Freeware and shareware versions are available with Perl source Fluid Dynamics Search Engine

Automated Install - immediately get a working search engine. No download, no FTP, no mess.

I use site search pro Results are decent and it's flexible but zero support.

Talking
    This is the same SE I listed in the post above yours Mr. Sal.

And where have you been lately? And why are there no smilies in your post?

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the replys so far. I think I'm looking for something like the SiteLeval that was posted or Atomz, some copy and paste kind of stuff. Don't know how to do scripts, perl etc. Something that will just crawl my site and then get some code to put on my site for the search box.

The pricing is better than the $5000 too:
    http://www.sitelevel.com/products-pro-pricing.shtml

Don't know how to do scripts, perl etc.
    Try this link: Automated Install - immediately get a working search engine. No download, no FTP, no mess.

They do it all the installation for you, free.

Talking
    Thanks for the replys so far. I think I'm looking for something like the SiteLeval that was posted or Atomz, some copy and paste kind of stuff. Don't know how to do scripts, perl etc.
    You don't have to know scripts or perl to use The FDSE. Tell it to install itself automatically. It will ask you the url of your website. It will install itself on your website automatically.

After it installs itself automatically it will ask you what site to crawl. Type in the url of your website again. It will crawl the site.

It will give you the code to put on your web page for the search box.

You don't have to know perl or do anything. It does it all for you.

If you know how to read and can type in the answers to the questions it asks you - you can use this SE.

Again - go to http://www.xav.com/ Click on install - next click on auto install. Type in the url of your website.

That's all there is to it. Once you do that it will tell you everything else that you need to do.

ABW Ambassador
    Don't think that's going to work with what I'm using, need copy and paste html. Can't use CGI.

Anybody use Pico Search?
    http://www.picosearch.com/

I tried them out years ago when I first started, price is what I'm looking for:
    http://www.picosearch.com/rates.html

Talking
    Don't think that's going to work with what I'm using, need copy and paste html.

Anybody use Pico Search?
    http://www.picosearch.com/

I tried them out years ago when I first started, price is what I'm looking for:
    http://www.picosearch.com/rates.html
    Why do you mean about copy and paste. I don't think you realize the you can use this SE - Anyone can use it - it doesn't matter what kind of site you have.

Once it's installed all you do is copy and paste the search form html onto your page. That's all you have to do to make it work.

What are we missing here about your copy and paste statement?

Are you saying that your server doesn't have an cgi bin on it?

Why not use a content management system like Drupal, Creloaded, Xoops, or Mambo? They've all got search built in and they let you control every aspect of your site via the web. Many even include RSS, blogs, articles, categories, etc -- which are all searchable.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    It's ben a while but I purchased Zoom Search Engine a few years back, it was ok, spiders your site and uses php to display the results it was $50-$100 depending on the version.

I know there are a few open source SE scripts that spider your site and then place results in a db.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by dflsports
    It's ben a while but I purchased Zoom Search Engine a few years back, it was ok, spiders your site and uses php to display the results it was $50-$100 depending on the version.

I know there are a few open source SE scripts that spider your site and then place results in a db.
    That's what the FDSE perl SE does that we're talking about in the posts above.

It creates a database and then pulls the results from the DB when someone does a search.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Your host does not let you use cgi? You using a free service or something?

ABW Ambassador
    "Why not use a content management system like Drupal, Creloaded, Xoops, or Mambo?"

Just want site search. I notice you using Google for your site search and not what you just posted. And don't want Google, they already own too much of the internet.

"Your host does not let you use cgi? You using a free service or something?"

Yep, can't use cgi. Nope not a free service.

"Why not use a content management system like Drupal, Creloaded, Xoops, or Mambo?"

Just want site search. I notice you using Google for your site search and not what you just posted. And don't want Google, they already own too much of the internet.
    I actually have custom search features for most aspects of the site, so the Google Search is just a temporary solution until every section has it's own search. Ideally the way to go is to have a custom search, but that requires programming. Otherwise if you're starting out fresh without a programmer it's a good idea to use a free CMS system.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Just looking for basic site search, don't want or need a cms. I think that would be great for others, depending on what they're doing. The plan for the new site is very simple.

Trust,

Take a look at FusionBot

www.fusionbot.com

Been using them it for years....

Doc

This little guy works perfectly for my site

http://www.cs.ioc.ee/~ando/sphider/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast