View Poll Results: Is your primary computer a desktop or a laptop?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Desktop

44 44.00%
  • Laptop

56 56.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Desktop!

1) When I go away, I don't want the temptation to just turn on another computer! Half the point of going away is to NOT be on one except for occasional library stops.

2) I couldn't even get used to a slightly smaller desktop keyboard. Trying to type on a laptop version would be going back to hunt-and-peck.

Laptop, my desktop is just used as a file server. I can put up with a smaller keyboard for the convience of sitting on my deck, the grill going and my cooler filled

It also makes it nice to be able to wave at my neighbors as they come home from their 9-5s
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

I just transferred all files to my laptop so I could get rid of my old computer and the space it took up on my desk.

I am trying to get use to the keyboard.

I have a Toshiba laptop that is less than a year old and the battery life is horrible! I replaced it and it is still no better. Has anyone heard of any problems with the batteries for Toshiba's?

Vanessa

laptop because its portable and powerful as well like the desktop.

Laptop for me. I never go anywhere without a wireless mouse though.

Desktop for me. For one, with doing video and photo editing, I need the extra power. And with having pretty big hands, laptop keyboards tend to significantly decrease my typing speed while simultaneously increasing my frustration level.

Laptop, but with extra monitor. That gives me the best of both worlds.

Affiliate Manager
    With so many affordable 17" laptops, I haven't bought a desktop machine in years.

The only downside to a 17" laptop is the weight, esp. when traveling. The nature of my work requires me to stay connected when I can, but lugging a 17" around for small tasks is a bit much.

So I recently bought a very small, lightweight netbook. Very different experience from a full laptop, but for quickie on-the-go things it's been pretty useful.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

I like Laptop. But work faster in Desktop.

It's so beautiful outside, I'd love to have a laptop to go enjoy it out there. A friend told me that I'd probably just sit around looking at everything that I need to do in the yard, but the thought of a laptop/fresh air/ wind blowing/ sure is tempting.

Affiliate Manager
    Leann, the only challenge in living that dream is that many laptops have either too much glare or just aren't bright enough to use well outside. But if you sit in the shade you may have a good time -- treat yourself, even if it's just a second computer it's nice to have a backup, and fresh air does wonders for the soul.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Laptop! Although I agree with Leader's feelings about getting away and not turning on a computer, I do like to have the option. There are times when I want to hit a coffee shop and get things done rather than working at home. There are also times when I want to leave the house without it, so I do. I'm all about options, baby.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Laptop for me.
    It's mobile, perfect for someone like me who gets to go places but sometimes still has to work at least a few hours even when on vacation.
    Plus, I have to tend to my plants and animals on my irtual farm, run my virtual cafe, and administer my virtual town
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

A desktop is when I put my laptop on the desk and hook up the dual monitors.

in terms of power consumption,

what are the differences ?

I've been exclusively laptop for 3 years. I love that I can take it anywhere in the house or on the road.

It's much more convenient. The only think I miss on the keyboard is the 10 key (Yes, us finance guys can't live without it).

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    I've been using a 17" HP laptop with a docking bay. Best of both worlds. It also has a 10-key actually in the laptop as well but I love being at my real desk with a full size keyboard and mouse but yet, can pick up at a moments notice and go work poolside so the kids can swim and I can still manage to get some work done while supervising.

I bought a Netbook a couple months ago when my laptop had to go in for service and its TONS lighter than my laptop and much easier to take on the go. Love the 8-9 hr battery and perfect for being able to keep tabs on business while on the go but sucks for "real life". I bought a 23" monitor and it's great to use between the netbook and my regular laptop at my desk. Now if I could just get the KVI switch to work

Banned
    must confess am a gamer also i can't play with a laptop... too tiny

Absolutely Desktop because of its game performance.

When i cannot reach my desktop, i try to avoid thinking doing PC work.

Mostly likely i will do reading instead.

But lower power consumption seems to be a greener option ??

I'm more of a desktop person than a laptop person.
    So I'd have to say desktop!

Great thread from 2006

I use my desktop while I'm working business hours (cordless keyboard and mouse give me more freedom than the lappy, plus the monitor is in a better position for me), Laptop for working during non-business hours ("no, honestly Honey, I'm listening to you...just adding some alt-tags to some pictures while I do it...") and my netbook for working outside of the house when I don't want to carry heavy equipment around with me. It's big enough for writing content, which I love to do at the cafe around the corner, especially in summer in their garden and enjoy the free coffee refills until noon.

I don't have an iPhone, tho... Maybe that would be all I would need... lol

Laptop or Desktop
    Hi
    Laptop hands down! I carry mine with me from room to room, floor to floor and almost anywhere I go except my day job. I have a Dell Studio which I like. Previous to that I had an HP Pavilion which I still use but I prefer the Dell. Someone mentioned a problem with Toshiba's battery life in a previous post. I bought a Toshiba and returned it for problems other than the battery, but a Toshiba technician told me that the battery life was poor.

Patricia

Another reason why I prefer laptops: I bought a metal rack which is supposed to be used in the kitchen. It has collapsible legs (do we call them "legs" when they are on such a thing? Well, anyway, I know you know what I mean by "legs") and just the right size top surface to accommodate my laptop and my mouse pad (I use a USB mouse on my laptop because it's much easier for me than the touchpad). And when I am in bed I can sit up with the rack across my lap (much like a sick tray) but not on it, so the laptop does not really have to be on my lap (it's not heavy but it can become too warm when it's on your lap). And so I can work comfortably in bed. It's not just breakfast in bed anymore.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan View Post
    When i cannot reach my desktop, i try to avoid thinking doing PC work.

Mostly likely i will do reading instead.

But lower power consumption seems to be a greener option ??
    I think laptops use less electricity in general. They have smaller screens, slower HDDS, less memory, and slower processors for the most part.

The CPUs are almost always 65 Watt or less where some high end desktop processors are pushing 125 Watt stock and can go up to 145ish when overclocked.

Most people have 22 inch up to 30 and those run around 50 Watts.

I just found this page and it has some good info on the right column about computers.

It says laptops 45 Watt - Desktop 150 - 300 Watts.

But there are other ways to save energy. AC, heating and mass transit are more effective.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast