Resizing an image when using product creater
    Have a teeny bit of a problem and since I've only taught myself html and still learning am not real sure of myself when altering any code so.....am hoping one of you computer smarties might help me
    Am making a little site and choosing specific products myself to place on it and majority of them have all been images that are 100x100 or little over that a bit. One of the merchants I'd like to feature has about 3 times that size for their images. So.....question is If I use the product creater to get the image and the code for the image. Can I then take the image myself into Paint Shop Pro or something similar and resize it myself to 100x100? Then here comes the part I'm not sure about. Well....haven't done it before with an image that's come from a network before so....not quite sure bout it either. lol But....assuming I manage to accomplish this all by myself and end up having an image that's 100x100 in size
    I know I would normally put in there the size of the image being width="100" height="100" ? Here's what the image part of the code looks like:

Obviously I changed the numbers and letters but you guys know what it should look like. Does the am000 have anything to do with the size of the image? Or would I just put the size info before the border in the code?

I know one of you nice smarty people will come to rescue me so I'll thank you in advance. And if by chance you don't...I'll just keep bumping this up til one of you gets sick of looking at it and then I'll beg for help Thank you ahead of time

Hmmmmm I put -- code -- you know whats in there so it wouldn't actually be a link and cause me to get in trouble for posting a link even though it was replaced with zeros and blah blahs for letters and ummm no code is showing at all??? Well you guys know what codes are supposed to look like so you'll know what to do??

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Hiya.

Are you asking for what the code should look like?

Check this out, it's huge, right?
    img src="http://www.gotobaby.com/store/images/limogepi1.gif

If you tweak the code to read something like:
    img src="http://www.gotobaby.com/store/images/limogepi1.gif" width="100" height="100" border=0>

Then it'll work.
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Exclamation
    If I remember right, you don't normally see a size specification in SAS links because they were modified some time ago to get around the "Norton" problem.

ABW Ambassador
    Can I then take the image myself into Paint Shop Pro or something similar and resize it myself to 100x100?
    You don't have to, unless you want to save the image and link to your own saved image from your page.

Say a merchant's image is 250 x 200 - you can just put that as the dimensions yourself. Or if you want it smaller, you can resize how it will look - even if linking the image from the merchant's server. Say you want it half that size - change it in proportion to be

img src="url_for_merchant_pic.gif" border="0" width="125" height="100"

It will still be the same size on the merchant's server, where you're *calling* the image from, but in your HTML you are telling the browser how big to display the image when the page is shown.

Hiya back at ya Carolyn I told my merchant that if for some reason asking the question here didn't get a reply... as a last resort I'd go to you for help Told her I had you as an affilliate manager when I first started and before you came here so if I get desperate for help I know I can count on you to help me Ta da.....and there you are coming to my rescue. My lady in shining armour. lol
    Now that you probably think I'm goofier than ever. lol Honest I did post a link in there before it decided to disappear on me. (only had letters, numbers and blah blahs so wasn't an actual link, though.)

As usual lol I don't explain myself very well. Yeap am asking what the code should look like and also if I had to actually resize the image, too.
    So....if I'm understanding correctly. The code itself does not change except after the gif part of it I would put in the width="100" height="100" border ="0". There's nothing in the code itself beforehand that pertains to the size so I don't have to worry bout changing anything in it. Correct so far??

Now onto Webworker ....boy I hope I'm understanding what you're saying cos if I do......will definitely be happy. All I want to do is use an image from here that is a bigger size image (don't remember at the minute but 300 something by 200 something) On my site that I'm going to place it the rest of the images on it are 100x100 so not sure I'm just being picky or whatever but would like it to also be 100 cos I think it will look nicer Are you saying that all I have to do is put the width="100" height="100" border ="0" in there and that's it????? I don't have to go resizing the image myself???? Please, please, please say yes. lol That would save me so much time if I don't have to. I'll do it if I have to but would really rather not have to.

Dummy question alert* I don't have to actually put in "url_for_merchant_pic.gif" right? you just put that instead of the actual code, right??

Herb - hmm you brought up that Norton problem lol...I have asked several times about what that is in various places...and I must really be thick headed cos I still don't understand what it is. Don't know what it's doing and don't know how to stop it from doing whatever it is that it's doing. lol I gather from what I've read it's not doing anything good I have a feelin it would be a rather long explanation so you don't have to try to explain it to me. I'll spare you that.

To all of you: thank you, thank you, thank you for your help

ABW Ambassador
    I don't have to go resizing the image myself???? Please, please, please say yes. lol That would save me so much time if I don't have to. I'll do it if I have to but would really rather not have to.
    Nope, don't have to as long as the width and height are put in with the proportions the same.

For example, a few LS merchants have product images 250x230 in the individual product links. I prefer them smaller, so I just use their photo as they give them and in Dreamweaver make the image height and width 125x115 - exacly half. If I wanted it 3/4 the size I'd have to do the math to subtract 1/4 from each figure to come up with the size to put in.

I am sooooo happy you said that. It will definitely save me a lot of time
    Thank you very much for your help

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Herb - hmm you brought up that Norton problem lol...I have asked several times about what that is in various places...and I must really be thick headed cos I still don't understand what it is. Don't know what it's doing and don't know how to stop it from doing whatever it is that it's doing. lol I gather from what I've read it's not doing anything good I have a feelin it would be a rather long explanation so you don't have to try to explain it to me. I'll spare you that.
    not that hard . . .
    picture software on a visitor's computer that looks for a graphic that is 468x60, 120x60, etc . . . all standard sizes. actually looks for the size specification on a link. when finding it the software blocks showing the graphic. --visitor sees an almost empty page.

certain versions of the software also blocked showing ads from major networks.

and this was the default setup for an installation.

so SAS re-wrote all the links so the size wasn't specified. seems to work better now.

Herb - Thank you very much for taking the time to explain or umm try to explain it to me. lol
    Let's see if I understand you correctly??
    Visitor comes to make a visit to my site and they have Norton software installed on their computer. Mr. Norton software guy sees a banner on my site that has 120x60 banner in the code so he says to himself "hmmm...nope ain't gonna show my owner that banner" so he musters up whatever magical powers he has and blocks the owner (only the owner, he doesn't do any harm to the actual banner or stop nice visitors who come for a visit at the same time or later who don't have norton software installed on their computers from being able to see the banner). Am I understanding this part, so far?
    If I have my alt tags in the code...the visitor who's been so nice to come and visit me can still read what my alt tags say and even though he can't see the image can figure out for himself what it said? The text links wouldn't be bothered by the Norton guy, correct?? and if I spent a whole lot of time filling my pages up with text that I have written that aren't links.....Mr. Norton software guy can't do anything to that??

So....if I have a page with mostly plain ole text I've written or a lot of text links....only thing the visitors won't see are the actual banners, correct?? They probably aren't going to like looking at all those white boxes with the little red x's in them, though. I, myself am not going to be able to do anything to keep this from happening, though...am I. Unless I were to only have SAS links, correct?

Again, thank you very much for the explanation. I have read about this several times and haven't had a clue what it meant. I imagined somehow it meant my site would be blocked from search engines every seeing it because of the Norton software. Not happy about it but feel a little better after reading your explanation.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread