I'm dropping BUY.COM - permenantly !!!
    A friend of mine (prominent person in our community) was in desperate (and I mean desperate) need of a laser printer the other day and despite this fact I talked her into ordering her new printer plus a cartridge through my affiliate link for Buy.com.

Both items "said" it was in stock and was listed as a package deal. Well, apparently Buy.com updates their inventory status on their site every 24 hours or so which I have yet to find that statement on their website. Totally misleading. So what you see on the Buy.com website is NOT what you'll get.

You guessed it. They shipped the cartridge (NEXT DAY AIR) and not the printer. Now she's ticked and I'm embarrassed to say the least. Not only did they waste her money using Next Day Air shipping for something she can't use, they don't know when it will be in stock, she'll have to waste more time shopping locally for a printer. What she buys locally may not be what she bought from Buy.com so she may have to send the cartridge back wasting more of her time. Not to mention I'll have a commission reversal on record within my CJ account.

NEVER again will I promote Buy.com and I'm removing all links to them within my network sites. Anyone else have issues with Buy.com?

Anyone have a suggestion as to one of their competitors I can promote instead?

Update ... I just received an interesting phone call from my friend. Buy.com's customer service is blaming the "out of stock" error on the fact that their database is updated only every 24 hours and her order must have been placed during one of these transitional periods. They say they are working to get the inventory updated more frequently.

Obviously that is a false statement because the printer is still listed as "in stock" and she says it has been every day since she ordered it. Also, Buy.com does not have a phone number to contact customer service after the sale. Below is the URL that shows the printer is in stock and her order is still showing backordered (Processing) and has been since 8/2/06. She requested Buy.com to cancel the order and I hope she's not harassed about it or caused anymore grief. I'm livid over this situation as it is a direct reflection on my affiliate site which I promote very aggressively in my local area and consider a loyalty site as much as an affiliate site. Any merchant that I promote that makes me look bad is permanently outahere. A few lost commission $$$ isn't worth my site's rep.

http://www.buy.com/prod/HP_LaserJet_.../10407919.html

She just reordered it from NewEgg this morning and is getting a MUCH better price and they have a phone number for customer service support after the sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16828104354

Does NewEgg have an affiliate program?

I remember someone at buy.com once sent me a message to stop bidding on their trademarks after they came across a ppc ad triggered by the keyword "buy" (plus plenty of other stuff in the keyword phrase which they disregarded...).

If "a.com" and "the.com" ever sign up with CJ, I'm not touching them with a 10-foot pole
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

The only sure way I've found to get something i need right away, is to go physically and get it. Whether it's buy.com or newegg, or amazon, or dell, there seems to almost always be some delay when you need something the most.
    If you do sell stuff from there, just keep promoting them and hope for the best. I have found that buy.com customer service is pretty bad, but they do end up fixing stuff that they can.

Oh My Gawd! I cannot believe this!

My friend just forward me an email she received after she cancelled the backordered printer this morning. Is Buy.com this desperate? Is Buy.com in financial trouble?

If a Buy.com Affiliate Manager browses this website, I challenge him/her to explain to their affiliates why their ordering processing system is below unethical....

This printer was not in the Shipping Processing state when she cancelled the item. This is a blatent lie, unless of course, their order status updates/database lags days behind as well.

"As you requested, we attempted to cancel your order for the item listed
    below from order #28744865. However, this item has already entered the shipping process and could not be cancelled.

We apologize for any inconvenience and offer you three options when
    your order arrives:
    - You may keep the product.
    - You may refuse shipment for a full refund, in which case the carrier
    will return the product to us at our cost.
    - If you are unable to refuse the package, you may return the product
    for a refund. In this case you might not be automatically credited for
    your shipping costs depending on the condition of the package or when
    you requested cancellation, etc. "

In other words, if you are available at the time of delivery (whenever that may be - who knows - they won't commit to a date) and refuse the shipment, then you "might not" be charged for shipping. Otherwise you are sh*t out of luck.

Basically Buy.com is saying, ... "Sorry you made the mistake of shopping with us. We don't care that we wasted your time and money. We'll ship it when we feel like it and we'll say we have when we don't. You just taking a chance if you shop with us!"

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    The only sure way I've found to get something i need right away, is to go physically and get it. Whether it's buy.com or newegg, or amazon, or dell, there seems to almost always be some delay when you need something the most.
    If you do sell stuff from there, just keep promoting them and hope for the best. I have found that buy.com customer service is pretty bad, but they do end up fixing stuff that they can.
    Yes, I agree. But only if you have a local store that carries what you need. BUT I made the mistake of talking her into buying it through my site's affiliate link. Which I won't make that mistake again because I will not be promoting Buy.com again. I consider my site a loyalty site and any merchant I promote should be loyal to customers I send them or it makes me look bad.

ABW Ambassador
    "Anyone else have issues with Buy.com?"

As an affiliate, no. They work great for me. As a customer, have no experience with them, never bought from there.

I can understand being upset. There's one merchant I'm not spending any money with any more because of all the problems I had. It's documented in the fitness forum, problems with ordering a rack for my weight system. But there have been times at Amazon where something is listed as being available to ship immediately and then turns out it wasn't. I didn't stop shopping there because that's a rare occurence for me and overall I love shopping at Amazon. If I removed merchants from my sites because of a problem here and there, I would probably have 0 merchants on my site since there is never a 100% satisfaction level. So I don't know if this is a problem with the affiliate program, looks like a problem with the actual merchant. I've always kept them separate, some see them as on of the same. Depends on the merchant. Sucks you're having problems with an order. But I'll still have them on my site because as an affiliate, I do great with them. I'm not sure what their order satisfaction level is. If it was real bad for any merchant, I would look at removing them. I'm curious how others who have actually ordered from them, how their transactions went.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I have ordered many products, as recently as 2 weeks ago, through Buy.com without any problems.

My husbands workplace orders tons of stuff through them and has never had a problem either.

I can't say how their customer service is because I have never had any reason to contact them.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

I've ordered from them many times with no problems.

Problems happen from time to time with any merchant. How they handle the problem is what's important to me. It sounds like Buy.com could have handled this better, but it's hard to judge a merchant based on just one incident.

At the very least, they should have refunded the shipping charges.

If you don't think you will be there when UPS comes, leave a note letting them know that you refuse the package.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I never had problems with buy.com as an affiliate or a customer.

With 1 less buy.com affiliate around. Just means more potential money for me

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    With 1 less buy.com affiliate around. Just means more potential money for me
    It doesn't work that way - fortunately. Affiliate Marketing is not a zero-sum game. For the same reason that affiliates like merchants that work on their brand-awareness amongst potential customers, by taking out ads on TV for instance, the fact that other affiliates are promoting one of the merchants you depend on in the various channels available on the web generally comes back to help you in the long-term. Anything which raises the brand-awareness of merchants with customers is usually good.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread