Web Design
    Hi everyone,

Just another newbie here with a question for the panel.

My main goal is to learn the ins and outs of the affiliate marketing game, and to eventually build a content-site. However, my web design skills are very amateur and it would probably take me just as much effort, if not more, to learn that subject as it would affiliate marketing.

My question is: For those of you who have had some success in affiliate marketing, what do you recommend? Should I immerse myself in HTML along with this, or should I just delegate the web design to someone with that experience already? If I choose to learn myself, do you recommend any forums or sites?

Thanks and God bless
    -EJ

Hi EJ,

I came into this industry with absolutely no knowledge of HTML or web design myself. My suggestion would be to hire the basic help you need to get started but teach yourself at the same time and keep learning along the way. That way, when it comes time to build more sites and expand your campaigns, you'll have the tools and knowledge to do it yourself, or at least the knowledge to hire the best.

Good luck!
    Julia
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    Share Results Network
    [email=julia@shareresults.com]julia@shareresults.com[/email]
    [URL=http://www.shareresults.com]http://www.shareresults.com[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    You might want to download Netscape Composer, which is a free WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) web page creation tool, and fool around a bit with different looks for pages to get the feel of it. URL for download and some simple guidelines are here

http://www.csulb.edu/~jvancamp/composer.html

Simple tools are best IMHO, especially for someone starting out who has enough to learn without having to master complicated software.

Just saw this thread and thought I'd post a follow up question:

Does anybody buy any templates (from the templates like template monster) for their affiliate sites if they find one that fits dead one? I could site here and design a new site, or I could pay someone by the hour, or I could buy a canned one and put my site inside of it.

Thoughts?
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601

Does anybody buy any templates (from the templates like template monster) for their affiliate sites if they find one that fits dead one? I could site here and design a new site, or I could pay someone by the hour, or I could buy a canned one and put my site inside of it.

Thoughts?
    Are purchased templates from template monster exclusive to one person or can more than one person pay for and use the same design?

Exclusivity [especially with regard to a purchase] might mean something to some webmasters but on the other hand, two of my blogs that I use to promote affiliate links are Blogger templates -- my posts are what make the blogs unique.

I've seen some free templates (for a non-blog site) that are appealing, I haven't actually used them (but I guess I could).

A paid template might have a better chance of being unique than a free template (it depends on the license/sales agreement -- some are unique due to a limited number sold, some may not be limited. Read the TOS/agreement).

There are many factors to consider. There is nothing wrong with using a template. Go ahead "buy a canned one and put [your] site inside of it."
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Templates are a good thing to me. I build them myself, buy them, or grab free ones. Some of my own I use on multiple sites. They have different logos and colors, but they all have to load fast. You can use them on a dynamic site with an include.

Non verifying templates
    Hi, I know this thread is a little old but i have built 2 ( working on one site) using bought templates.

If you want exclusivity, the cost to purchase the template is quite high.

I am reasonably pleased. I use a free WISYWIG editor - NVU

I do not have photoshop and some of the templates require a lot of customisation via photoshop - some are more css and html based and are easier for me to use.

I paid yearly subscription to Dream Templates and they seem to be updated regularly. I probably should have looked at their affiliate scheme - but was not aware of how such things as reseller rights worked.

I also bought another template ( single ) from a site which claimed its templates were hand coded and passed validation. They did not.

I am not sure how much this counts but some web builders think passing Wc3 code validation is important and will become evermore so as Google will favor sites that are accessibility compliant.

Susan
    :Todd:

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601

Thoughts?
    It's an efficient way to do it..plus it sure beats the designs that I do by hand. I've been using Templatemonster for a while. It's pretty straightfoward...whenever I need to build a site, I'll find a template that's most suited for the theme, and then customize, customize, customize. Quite often, the changes are enough to set it apart. Instead of spending weeks/months designing completely from scratch, I estimate it takes just a week (give or take a day or two) to finish the original prototype.

Also want to make note that most of the templates I purchase don't have many downloads. I think, at max, I've bought some with roughly 75-100 total downloads. With the total number of websites out there, I'd imagine it would be a big coincidence to see the very same one out there, for the same topic.

bookmaker - my advice is to avoid templates. Build what you can, with what you know. The key to making money with affiliate sites is building something unique.

Your lack of knowledge is your best tool. The fact that your mind is not clouded with ideas about what is right and what is wrong will make your site different.

As an experienced affiliate, I know that I never know what is going to work. So I build diversity. If you try to emulate another site you will fail.

Keep your skills weak. Keep the pages text based to get started, add content daily and build as you have time. The site will gow as you build it both is size and presence.

Just go for it and see what happens. But be ready for long waits.

I have a web hoting company and I get people closing sites 24 hours after opening because they are not making enough money. You will definitely need more patience than that. But you do not need any advanced skills to get the ball rolling.

Template not duplicate
    Most templates are just a CSS ( cascading style sheets ) which provides colour, layout and text continuity throught out the site.

I don't see how SE will count this as duplicate content?

I built my website (which has been live for 6 weeks), it is listed in Google and gets page one for one of my keyword phrase searches . It was built using a template becuase I am not a graphics person.

It did look a lot prettier but I am in the process of "tweaking" to try to get exposure for more competitive keywords. If my tag comes up , have a look at it.

As you can see I have quite a lot of copy ( text ) which is what the SE look for. It is this Copy and information which needs to be original, not duplicate and to work well it really must relate to you keywords.

Quote Originally Posted by begabloomers
    I don't see how SE will count this as duplicate content?
    I'm sure they focus on the "non-tagged" content more often, and will give it more credence.

Of the ones that I've customized from these templates, most of my pages have been indexed in a matter of a few weeks, and are slowly rising as I keep tweaking and adding content. It is a slow process, no doubt about that, but it frees up a bit of time to devote to doing other, more important things, like writing content and providing a trustworthy and professional-looking site for visitors to buy from.

Selling in 24 hours
    Sorry i forgot to say I was astounded they made anything at any 24 hours.
    Would love to know what their sites were like and what they were selling.

I would also like to know the meaning of life while we are at it.

Hi EJ

I am new to the forum, and to affiliate marketing as well, but while looking around I did notice a section right here called "Webmasters Barter / Trade / Buy or Sell" where you could possibly post a request for template design, instead of using canned templates, and I would think from looking through it myself, that you'd likely get responses from other members here willing to do the job, exchange or to help.

From my experience a lot of help out there with knowledge of html will scam you if they know that you know nothing about the language...Code will be sloppy and not necessarily as effective as it should/could be.

I would suggest getting the basics of html down by reading some tutorials online. The language is relatively simple and it will give you a basic idea of what to look for when you check over a contractors work.

The last thing you want to do is pay for a job that is done half-assed.

PS - My personal suggestion would be to stay away from template designs and wysiwyg editors at first. This will force you to actually LEARN instead of having other people do the work for you - which I guarantee will payoff in the longrun.

Good luck!
    [FONT=Verdana]Chris Gates[/FONT]

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread