Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    So what steps are you taking to prepare for LMI??
    Hi,

I was just wondering if I'm alone in this or if other affiliates feel this way, but I'm preparing my sites to pretty much be "CJ Free" by the time CJ switches over to 100% javascript links. I'll likely only promote 2 merchants at CJ after their conversion. And even though I'll stick with my 2 CJ merchants, I know for a fact that I won't join any more programs there once they go strictly over to LMI.

I was just curious if other affiliates out there are planning on dumping CJ, scaling back on CJ, or are you going to stick it out and attempt to work things out with those javascript links?

I run dynamic ads on content sites and these javascript links are a big no-no for me - kill all flexibility, slow page loading time drastically and give control of the ads to someone else, not me.

Anyways, just fishing around for peoples thoughts now that some time has passed since CJ announced the LMI.

Jim
    Last edited by jimh009; August 6th, 2006 at 07:21 AM.

Jim

I am in the same boat, I have dropped at all but two merchants at cj and I don't plan on adding any ever again. I am sure I will be getting rid of all cj programs as soon as I can take down all the links I have left. Any company that would decide to do something like this is not somone I want to be working with at all.

It also gave me a reason to clean house and focus on my other programs also.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I have narrowed the list to 4 merchants which I will promote after Javascript becomes only option, but I will always look for an alternative on any other network. Currently I'm getting all of my links from other networks & not making any new relationships on CJ.

ABW Ambassador
    I am dropping any merchants that have programs on other networks. I'll drop the rest after JS becomes the only option.

I'm not adding any new CJ links, looking for parasite-free replacement merchants and pulling hundreds of CJ links. I'm not panicking or putting any extra effort into this process. In time I'll be free of CJ entirely. Many links from other non-converting merchants from other networks are coming down as well.
    ~Ernie

im a newbie, so im adding the javascript links - no choice

Those JS links are slowing the pages down *significantly*

I don't combine CJs JS links with links from other networks, because I dont other networks pages to slow down.

ABW Ambassador
    I still maintain that mandatory javascript is never going to happen and anyone making decisions based on something like this is going to regret the time and effort they are putting into it. Just forget about it at this point.

best123, of course you have a choice. Just select the Legacy Link option.

ABW Ambassador
    If a merchant has a program elsewhere, I promote them elsewhere.
    With the merchants at CJ, I'm only using the legacy html links. Will never use the javascript.

At this point I'm not worried about it at all. Either 2 things will happen:
    1. CJ leaves the html links as an option.
    2. If they don't, my top merchants will leave.

So either way, I'll be using html links. And if they go with 2, then ultimately they're just screwing themselves. No sane merchant will stay on a js only network.

*best123
    Ummm if you're anything like me you probably weren't aware you could still use the html links. lol I didn't realize it til I think Trust had made a post about it.

Unless I'm missing something here though guys, is there any way of getting the legacy links for more than 1 link at a time? It wasn't an option for me when I was going merrily along my way choosing a bunch of links like I used to and there wasn't any choose legacy links showing for me that way. Guess it's better to know now if there is but think I'll just go and hide for a while if I've been spending all that time trying to get them one at a time when I didn't have to. I'm not using anywhere near the amount of links I used to use because it takes so long.
    So you guys really think they'll cry Uncle after a while?? I know an aff. mgr. told me when their program left Linkshare that the reason was they took so much more money from the merchants than other networks so if that really is the case is it cheaper for merchants to use CJ compared to the other networks?

ABW Ambassador
    "Unless I'm missing something here though guys, is there any way of getting the legacy links for more than 1 link at a time?"

No, that's a common complaint, I wish they would put the html back on default like that had it.

"So you guys really think they'll cry Uncle after a while??"

If nobody uses the js. I'm not. They seem to be pushing the timetable back hoping eventually everybody will start using it. Like I said at this point I really don't care. Affiliate and merchants have told CJ what they want. JS only will not attract affiliates and merchants, it will push them away. So if they don't want to listen and decide that's the route they're going to take, then they'll just lose money and I'll just switch out links. If if they actually ever make that decision, then I think you'll really start to see some merchant migration. To other networks. Seriously, what kind of merchant would stay on a js only network? Not many.

I dont have a problem with using legacy links, but when I try to get the legacy links there's this message posted there:

For a *limited time*, you may access legacy code for this link by selecting the 'Access Legacy Code' button below.

It's too much work to replace the legacy links with the JS links, when they force it.

ABW Ambassador
    The CEO of CJ's parent company went on record during their quarterly earnings call last week saying they hope to accomplish the change in the next year or two and they've previously communicated to affiliates that at least 6 months notice will be given before any mandatory change is made.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I have a couple of merchants on CJ for whom I'll update links (via datafeed) prior to the holiday season. After that I'll wait and see what happens where those merchants are concerned.

All my other CJ merchants have their neck on the chopping block. I've replaced Smartlinks with banner ads from indie merchants. In some cases I'm removing product links from poor performing merchants altogether. I ain't got the traffic to burn anymore sending my visitors down dead end streets, if you get my meaning. (This applies to all the networks and indies I partner with.)

CJ was once my meat and potatoes. Now it's kinda like the obligatory parsley garnish. Such a shame.

ABW Ambassador
    "For a *limited time*, you may access legacy code for this link by selecting the 'Access Legacy Code' button below. "

The limited time is just to get you to put up js links now. What Snowman just posted about them saying a year or two. I think they'll eventually back off because I haven't seen one merchant or affiliate get excited about the move. You won't see people saying "Oh goodie, javascript only, let me go join a bunch of new merchants and put up a bunch of javascript links" They'll just end up losing if they make that move. If they want to go down as making one of the biggest blunders in affiliate marketing history, it's their move to make.

When we use data feeds , we are using legacy links. That will never change.

But I think they will give permissions to use legacy links only to data feed providers and not us regulars.

I have been in software development, and companies pay like 1 to 4 mil to 10mil or more on making websites or making changes to websites.

CJ must have spent anywhere from 1 mil to 5 mil on making this change, to legacy links.

Would you back off from legacy links if you were CJ and you spent like 5 mil implementing them?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I sure as hell would back off once I realized that it was the stupidest idea ever conceived for the affiliate marketplace and might very well put me out of business. AM ain't dead yet.

If VC wants to open up a spy shop let them do it on another channel. I bet it'd fly in a CPA environment.

They make it look like it adds a lot of value to merchants, i'm not sure in terms of what...

but that's their main reson for holding so tight on JS links.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by best123
    Would you back off from legacy links if you were CJ and you spent like 5 mil implementing them?
    Do you remember New Coke?

P.S. I think you meant javascript links rather than legacy links.

ABW Ambassador
    That's the one I always like to use, New Coke Sometimes big companies make mistakes. It happens. When New Coke came out, uproar. They listened to their customers and stuck with the original formula. CJ should listen to their customers too. Don't know who came up with this ridiculous idea but I'm guessing they were surrounded by a bunch of "yes men" when they did. People too afraid to speak up and say "Hey, that's a really stupid idea" And they're living in some sort of fantasy world if they think that over time affiliates and merchants are going to warm up to this. They're not. All they're doing is opening the door to their competition and they're loving it. And it's also not a good decision to let this hang for years, the possibility of going js only.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr_Sacc
    I am dropping any merchants that have programs on other networks. I'll drop the rest after JS becomes the only option.
    Ditto
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    That's the one I always like to use, New Coke Sometimes big companies make mistakes. It happens. When New Coke came out, uproar. They listened to their customers and stuck with the original formula. CJ should listen to their customers too. Don't know who came up with this ridiculous idea but I'm guessing they were surrounded by a bunch of "yes men" when they did. People too afraid to speak up and say "Hey, that's a really stupid idea" And they're living in some sort of fantasy world if they think that over time affiliates and merchants are going to warm up to this. They're not. All they're doing is opening the door to their competition and they're loving it. And it's also not a good decision to let this hang for years, the possibility of going js only.
    It's wise to listen to what the customer wants....

but who does CJ think is the customer here? Merchants or Affiliates? That is the question...

Also, do the merchants realize what problems we affiliates are facing - they might just buy in on the fact that they have the benefits with JS links, and think that JS is better than plain old html, since it allows them to do this or that that plain html is not capable of.

The bottom line is that an affiliate network is successful if the links perform well in terms of speed and flexibility, JS links are extreamly slow and are a pain to use , but CJ and some merchants are just being deaf to this.

ABW Ambassador
    "but who does CJ think is the customer here? Merchants or Affiliates? That is the question..."

Both and both don't like it.

I don't think this switch is ever going happen and if CJ was smart, they'd make it possible to bulk generate HTML links so it would be easier to ramp up for the holidays. I'm moving ahead as though it won't happen, though if a new merchant has a program on another network, that other network will get the business.

CJ is huge for me and if I lose big they lose big too. It just doesn't make sense for that to happen.

I did find one merchant with several programs who was in favor of JavaScript - They had lost several suppliers because affiliates using data feeds had out of stock or really out of date incorrect prices for products on their sites. JaveScript would potentially solve this problem but withough the JavaScript data feed content being invisibile to the engines, you midas well not have the feed in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    If a merchant has a program elsewhere, I promote them elsewhere.
    With the merchants at CJ, I'm only using the legacy html links. Will never use the javascript.

At this point I'm not worried about it at all. Either 2 things will happen:
    1. CJ leaves the html links as an option.
    2. If they don't, my top merchants will leave.

So either way, I'll be using html links. And if they go with 2, then ultimately they're just screwing themselves. No sane merchant will stay on a js only network.
    Same here.

But by the sounds of it ValueClick is going to drage this out a year or two. So I'm just going to leave my html links up until I have to drop all my CJ merchants when they eventually change over.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Wish I felt as Confident As Everyone Here!
    I wish I felt as confident as everyone here that CJ is going to drag things out and perhaps eventually "give in" and allow HTML links to stay - at least for existing affiliates.

Ultimately, it's the "big boys" who are CJ's breadwinners - I think they are losing interest in us "little guys" - one of those things where the income dervied from them isn't high enough to justify whatever costs are associated with managing us.

For the "big boys", either special deals will be cut to allow plain HTML or, as is often the case with the "big boys", they don't use datafeeds - just generic links to homepages (such as Ebates). So the nature of the link really doesn't matter to them.

Instead, I see this move as a way for CJ to re-assert total control for themselves and the merchant over their affiliates. And if it costs them some affiliate income from people like myself and others (who make between $500-3K) per month, well, so be it. Those numbers pale in comparison to what the big portals and such bring in.

I think the control factor is a big thing. Like many corporations, CJ seems bent on having "total control" - a mistake in my opinion but seeing it done often enough in the corporate world it doesn't surprise me at all. Having lots of little affiliates with outdated links or cheesey sites probably doesn't help CJ out financially - and instead just provides them aggravation. By delving into Javascript only links, CJ takes control over these types of sites essentially.

And since many merchants like this "control" factor, I suspect quite a few merchants at CJ will see this as a positive move. Many merchants would love to have more control over affiliate sites I'm sure.

Obviously, many merchants at CJ aren't going to like this. So I wouldn't be surprised if at some point you begin to see some sort of migration of smaller merchants (wheresmall affiliates sites play a more important role) to networks like SAS or go in-house, while the larger names go to CJ for the "control factor".

Just my two cents.

Oh, here's my prediction on the cut-off date - CJ will announce it sometime later this fall or right after the new year. CJ will become a LMI only type place no later than July of next year.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast