OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Is there a Geo solution for international traffic??
    I was speaking with an affiliate who noticed that she had quite a bit of traffic coming from the UK and Australia. Since her site sells subscriptions that are specific to locality is there a way to read the incoming IP and direct it to a version of the index page particular to the country of origin?? Is anybody doing this?

ABW Ambassador
    I'm sure there is a way, I have no idea how. One day I'll up my technical knowledge but I think it's along the ways you posted. Reading the incoming IP and directing it to a matching page. Sometimes I go to sites and it's geared to the city and state I live in by my IP.

We experimented with SiteBrand at ToolKing but that was $10k per month. It could intercept Canadian IP's and direct to a Canadian shipping index page with Canadian flags. Too pricey for an affiliate.

MaxMind has a database and quite a few solutions (fraud detection, etc), as well. Their country database is $12/month or $50 for a one-time download. I think their most expensive option is under $100 per month.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks Michael, our CTO is interested as well. Could help our online college portal. I will pass it on to both of them.

Chuck,

Maxmind has a free option as well (not mentioned). 97% reliable, with exceptions. This article deals with advertisements, but still relatable. To get more reliable, of course, you have to pay. Depends on the needs.

http://www.websitepublisher.net/arti...argetting-php/

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

I need to learn more on this myself.

I am sure there are solutions to cater to your particular needs and situation but do be careful. I experimented with this end and would not recommend it in certain ways if you do no PPC...and being you can actually do the geo targeting in PPC it's kinda mute on that angle.

The reason for this it seems that the spiders see what the people see...but if you do ip delivery it seems they can detect the reroute due to ip?...engine spammers use this sort of thing in their bag of tricks for the purpose of rerouting pages with no attention or care to the subject matter ect, and some engines (least it seems for me) appear to just drop such pages (or innocent geo target pages you speak of) enmasse...however I have seen many established pages on the net I found on an engine that have the geo targeting in their advert panels ect so I suspect if you have a gizmo that can feed into a page it is ok...just not the entire page itself?

If you do happen to find a simple user friendly, low or no cost solution do please let me know!

Rather than redirect, you could always just geotarget a big banner at the top of the page promoting something more appropriate for foreign traffic.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Chuck, it'll probably take detecting the IP of the visitor, which is a very common issue. I'd consider getting a custom solution from someone who also does cloaking professionally, in order to know how to stay on the safe side of things.

Added:

We experimented with SiteBrand at ToolKing but that was $10k per month
    Nah, way too pricey. Geographic IP's should be pretty much a static, stable identifier, so a simple, professional cloaking script with built-in redirection would no doubt do the job just fine for a whole_lot_ less $.

They're not quite as static as you would think. New IPs are always being assigned and the people that build GeoIP databases are always fine-tuning their mappings. If it's important enough to do geotargetting, it's important enough to subscribe to a cheap ($12-$90/month) service so you always have fairly current mappings.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    If it's important enough to do geotargetting, it's important enough to subscribe to a cheap ($12-$90/month) service so you always have fairly current mappings.
    Michael, $12-$90 a month is a far cry from $10K a month for a solution with script and IPs. If a script is installed, and then IP updates are subscribed to - for as you said, $12-$90 a month - why wouldn't that cover it?

This particular affiliate relies completely on organic search. I think the use of IP geotargeting with banners is probably the safest bet. She has commented that in the past Google would reindex and trash her traffic so a cloaking system would scare her.

Thanks for the input. We are interested in trying it for our online school lead gen sites to better focus traffic. Will let yuo know what we figure out.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    *bump*

Due to the yet-again renewed interest in Spanish sites, I thought I'd get this question out in the open.

How can I geo-target my ads?

I am a coder and designer NOT a programmer so I really won't be able to make my own script.

I have an almost impossible to monetize site that gets traffic mostly from Mexico and also gets traffic from other Spanish Speaking countries (Argentina and Spain), USA, Canada, and a few visitors from France. As I've mentioned previously Spanish affiliate programs seem to be either for USA or Spain which means I don't want ads for those countries to appear to my primary visitor group, Mexico (Also the #1 Spanish speaking country in population).

If I could geotarget my ads I might actually get that site making more than Adsense. As many of you know I have almost abandoned it even though it gets plenty of traffic.

The site uses a mix of HTML pages and a WordPress blog. Most new content will be integrated in the WP side however most traffic goes to certain older content rich pages in HTML.

I noticed that this thread mentions the use of a Maxmind database. All I need is to recognize the country and display the appropriate ad.

If I buy the one time downloadable list, does anyone here have a Javascript that I could use for my HTML pages that would allow me to check the IP and display the right HTML code for an ad?

Does anyone have a working WordPress plugin that does that? I did a search online, but I found geo-tracking plugins and one that just displays the city not an "if X country show X html code for an advertisement".

The ideal script would be one that would show my Adsense or an internal site ad if none of the country specific affiliate groups apply.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread