Differences between JScript & PHP
    I orginally ask these questions using the Golden Can web site, but have not received a reply. Since the reply times seem to be good here I thought I would try again.

I've noticed a couple of differences between using JScript and PHP for the same store. With PHP you don't get a product detail page and end up on the vendor product page instead. With JScript you get a product detail page and only end up the vendor site when clicking "Buy Now". Why can't we have product detail pages when using PHP?

Also you can create a "Sub Category Stores:" and get the JScript to use it. To do something similar with PHP you have to create multiple stores. Why can't we create "Sub Category Stores:" with PHP?

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by ELO
    I orginally ask these questions using the Golden Can web site, but have not received a reply. Since the reply times seem to be good here I thought I would try again.

I've noticed a couple of differences between using JScript and PHP for the same store. With PHP you don't get a product detail page and end up on the vendor product page instead. With JScript you get a product detail page and only end up the vendor site when clicking "Buy Now". Why can't we have product detail pages when using PHP?

Also you can create a "Sub Category Stores:" and get the JScript to use it. To do something similar with PHP you have to create multiple stores. Why can't we create "Sub Category Stores:" with PHP?
    I would also like to know the answers to these same questions.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ABW Ambassador
    With PHP you don't get a product detail page and end up on the vendor product page instead. With JScript you get a product detail page and only end up the vendor site when clicking "Buy Now". Why can't we have product detail pages when using PHP?
    I really don't know the answers to your questions, I'm in the process of trying to figure out just how to integrate GC into sites in a way that's both user-friendly and search engine friendly.

I'm not sure exactly how much or what percentage of your site you want indexed or crawled, but how many pages do you really want in Google's Supplemental Index or not being indexed at all by Yahoo or MSN Search?

Also, I don't know about you, but I don't particularly want folks going to a product detail page on *my site* - I'd much rather they go to the product detail page on the merchant's site for particulars, where they'll pick up a cookie wth my name/ID on it.

Maybe I have a lot to learn about how GC works, but all I know is the quicker I can get them to my merchants' sites the better I like it.

Mr. GoldenCan
    We do our best to reply to all users’ emails and questions ASAP, regardless if the question is asked via email or on the forum. Your email has been replied also.

When you are using JavaScript the pages are not spiderable, so we can display the product detail to the user. When you are using PHP, GetData feature, the contents of the page are spiderable and the exact same product detail will be returned to every affiliate that uses GetData. Display product detail feature is turned off to avoid too much duplicate content on different affiliate web sites. However, when product listings are displayed under a certain category many different rules are applied to try to serve different content for each user.

The sub category store feature will be available soon.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not sure I understand the differences. I wouldn't care how many "stores" had to be created, the more targeted the granularity the better I like it.

Added:

When you are using JavaScript the pages are not spiderable, so we can display the product detail to the user. When you are using PHP, GetData feature, the contents of the page are spiderable and the exact same product detail will be returned to every affiliate that uses GetData. Display product detail feature is turned off to avoid too much duplicate content on different affiliate web sites.
    Good! Thank you.

Thanks for the reply to my questions. I guess the duplicate content problem makes sense. Maybe the links to individual product pages could be JScript even though the rest of the store is PHP. Might be nice if the destination for these pages was an option we could select. Just some ideas.

Look forward to the Sub Category Stores with PHP.

> webworker

I'm not sure I understand the differences. I wouldn't care how many "stores" had to be created, the more targeted the granularity the better I like it.
    The reason is using Sub Category Stores is much easier than creating seperate stores while providing the same granularity.

Can anyone tell me (us) the pros and cons of having lots of store pages indexed by the search engines. Will adding a php (search engine crawlable) store with lots of pages affect our site rankings, and if so for better or worse?

When you are using JavaScript the pages are not spiderable, so we can display the product detail to the user. When you are using PHP, GetData feature, the contents of the page are spiderable and the exact same product detail will be returned to every affiliate that uses GetData. Display product detail feature is turned off to avoid too much duplicate content on different affiliate web sites. However, when product listings are displayed under a certain category many different rules are applied to try to serve different content for each user.
    Instead of simply going to a vendor's product page when using PHP the links to individual product pages could be JScript thus solving the problem of linking to duplicate content. Would be nice as a PHP option: JScript links to product page, or linking directly to vendor's pages.

The sub category store feature will be available soon.
    Haven't seen this option yet. Wondering how long before it will be available.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread