3 PPC engines = 3 tracking methods?
    Let's assume you have your landing page setup with affiliate links and you have created ads on Adwords, Yahoo Search Marketing and MSN Adcenter.

How do you track each search engine? And how do you track conversions?

Potential problems as I see it:

1. Adwords cannot track conversions since the affiliate signup thank you page is on the merchants site and not your own. Therefore you can't place the javascript tracking code. Same applies for Yahoo and MSN.

2. The data can get very messy since you can be targetting the same keywords but from all 3 major PPC engines and with different match options on each keyword.

How do you cope with this? Do you run a specific report you have setup in all 3 PPC engines and then download a csv file from CJ or whoever? And then you somehow manually match up the data by copy and paste?

I see this as critical to being an effective affiliate marketer but it is currently a stumbling block for me. Looking forward to insight into this area.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Houston TX
    Hi Jon,

I know that CJ has its own program where you are able to track each term. you will have to name it accordingly though.

Linkshare has the signature program. Dunno waht is it called on CJ.

It goes on the end of the code and you just have &t=YAHOOkeyword

Ideally, I would like to use some tracking system where I can rapidly view my stats for ROI purposes, maybe using Google Analytics or something like that. The last thing I want to do is spend ages compiling spreadsheets of stats and trying somehow to match up each sale with each keyword. I want to have a simpler, faster, more efficient (and consequently less accurate) method of tracking so that I can create large numbers of sites yet still have time to track.

I would trade accuracy for speed of analysis, if you see what I mean.

So, I figure if I know the average value of a visitor I send to a merchant, whenever someone clicks a link to leave my site, I can set a value as a sale. e.g. the each visitor to the merchant is worth $1. Then when someone clicks the link on my site to the merchant, $1 is triggered on the tracking script (say Google Analytics).

Any solutions like this?

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread