ABW Ambassador
    CDT Releases New Adware Report
    Has a breakdown of the involvement of the major networks in there.

http://www.cdt.org/press/20060809press.php

http://www.cdt.org/privacy/20060809adware.pdf

15 years and counting
    They are getting there, following the money trail.
    I can't wait for the day these top guys at CJ and LS will be exposed.
    "Following the Money II urges companies to get serious about establishing and enforcing policies to prevent their ads from appearing through nuisance distributors, and to be more careful about choosing affiliate partners."

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    ~~~~~~~~quote~~~~~~~~
    "Companies need to take responsibility when their advertising dollars go to support companies that prey on unsuspecting consumers," said CDT Policy Analyst Alissa Cooper, who co-authored the report. "Whether placed directly or through intermediaries, these ads diminish the Internet experience for millions of people. Advertisers that work with these distributors are running out of excuses, and must either start policing their advertising spending, or answering to their customers who have been harmed by adware."
    ~~~~~~~~end~~~~~~~~

I hope 60 minutes shows consumers that these big companies are the ones to blame for the prevalence of shitware and the troubles it causes.

I saw a report recently that calculated the total number of hours and costs of adware and spyware and cleaning computers and lost productivity - the amount is huge!

You reap what you sow - big companies involved in this will get burned. The CDT report is going to my congressional reps. And someone's going to class action your butts for contributing to such widespread injury.

From the report:
    "8 percent of the ads we found were self-targeted, where the ad that pops up is
    the same as the page that the user was already visiting. Self-targeting is often
    a sign that marketers are getting bilked by their intermediary or adware partners.
    High-profile brands were much more likely to be the victims of self-targets than
    less familiar brands."

Ecomcity... calling Ecomcity... adwhore comment needed... insert here please...

ABW Ambassador
    "I hope 60 minutes shows consumers that these big companies are the ones to blame for the prevalence of shitware and the troubles it causes."

Something I've always wanted to see and posted about. 60 Minutes, 20/20 type show, national coverage. I even produced the show in my mind. Computer slow, computer problems, unwanted popups etc. Get some video of people, their computers, their frustrations. Then take the camera to the big merchants and say hello to the merchants advertising via the adware on your computer. Some changes would be made the next day. Just need some national, prime time exposure.

From the report, page 13, footnote...

"CDT downloaded the Best Offers Network as part of a bundle with a Fun Screenz screensaver."

Shocking surprise.... not.

Page 17... beginning of names named...
    MyGeek (direct partnership with Direct Revenue)
    VendareNetblue (eMarketMakers, Netblue)
    ValueClick (Webclients.net, ValueClick Media, Commission Junction, CJs BFAST)
    aQuantive (Atlas)
    LinkShare
    DoubleClick (DART, Performics, Falk eSolutions)
    HydraMedia

Want to know why ValueClick / CJ is pushing for LMI to gather all that consumer data... because they're in third place and want to move up the crap ladder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Page 20... where it gets really good... list of names directly tied to adware buys....

First place... My Geek wins again.

Second place... IntegraClick / ClickBooth (hi Chetf, remember the fun we had posting here at ABW about this cheating turd!)

drum roll....

Third place... ValueClick. That's who owns CJ people. (Hi Rugman! Your choice of networks!)

and the notes for these top 3 adware buyers, I added the bolding:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MyGeek tops the list based on its Direct Revenue deal.

IntegraClick (also known as Clickbooth) is an affiliate network which seems to be either allowing adware vendors to sign up as affiliates or which has been duped into signing up affiliates who turn out to be adware vendors.

ValueClick Media and Webclients.net, as ad networks, appear to have purchased inventory directly from adware vendors.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That last one, from CJ's owners... anyone wondering why Jeff Pullen, Todd Crawford and Elizabeth C recently resigned from CJ and left the company...

"ValueClick Media and Webclients.net, as ad networks, appear to have purchased inventory directly from adware vendors"

CJ's owners using adware to target sites... hmmm... wonder who they're targeting most often... someone where they might have lots of data to figure out how best to optimize it all... hmmmm... where might they turn to for that... ask Jeff Pullen.

If you're a merchant at CJ, time to open your eyes. Your trusted third party provider is a cheater.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    The report, while well done, lists in the end a variety of companies who are "leading the charge" against "bad practices" etc... and one of those companies listed was Dell. Having purchased a Dell recently I would beg to differ with their assesment.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

15 years and counting
    To own a Dell and to be a Dell affiliate is quite different. I like their products, I hate their affiliate program and the way they promote it.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Zeus,

I would agree... and I'm just talking about the actual Dell and the software that comes installed on it by default...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    From the report:
    "8 percent of the ads we found were self-targeted, where the ad that pops up is
    the same as the page that the user was already visiting. Self-targeting is often
    a sign that marketers are getting bilked by their intermediary or adware partners.
    High-profile brands were much more likely to be the victims of self-targets than
    less familiar brands."

Ecomcity... calling Ecomcity... adwhore comment needed... insert here please...
    WTF have I been preaching all these years as the Adwhore monopolies devise ways to rip off stupid advertisers budgets with their forced click cookie nuke bomb partnerships. The die was cast years ago, by the major networks, to sacrifice legit value-add affiliates to those who could attack at the point of sale on millions of kidnapped shopper's systems.

My answer is to demand slotting fees and/or per-click bonuses for all affiliates who actually place showcase Ads on their pages for merchants and shoppers alike. Reality is the stacked deck guarantees none of this effort will get commissioned when the traffic flows into the cookie landmines, and house account cookie washers, of the network programs.... friggin Adwhores and their pimps are everywhere!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    The report, while well done, lists in the end a variety of companies who are "leading the charge" against "bad practices" etc... and one of those companies listed was Dell. Having purchased a Dell recently I would beg to differ with their assesment.
    Dell is now, and always has been, the commission diversion king of network merchants. There is no Adware/Spyware program ever devised where Dell Ads don't popup or under trashing their computer owners systems. They joined CDT and other anti-??? groups like the Gator & WhenU wanks did to spin and deflect the consumer backlash.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread