Should I be concerned about this?
    So I have both a LinkShare merchant and affiliate account. I often use the affiliate account to check what my merchant accounts looks like on the affiliate end and investigate competitors by joining their programs etc.

This account is total B.S...I put in a dummy website URL and all the information is phony (because I don't really intend on making money with it, I just need it for the above-mentioned purposes). But for some strange reason...I am registering 74 clickthroughs, 6,000 impressions and one sale. How is this possible? This SHOULDN'T be possible. I am not running ads of any sort on any webpage.

I first became aware of this when I ran a report using my merchant account on sales in the last 9 days...and to my surprise my own affiliate account appeared (I had joined my own merchant account earlier).

Should I be concerned about this?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but it seems like something is going on...I wonder if anyone else has noticed something like this.

Check any newsletters you've sent out recently to see if you put "your" affiliate ID instead of the template affiliate ID.

A LinkShare merchant might be able to help you a little better, but if LinkShare has any sort of "referer" reports, you might want to run those.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Hmmm....interesting theory about the newsletters. I already sent a question to my LS.

In LinkShare when you copy a link to be pasted, you are supposed to add in a [SITE.CODE] modifier instead of the 9 (or was it 11) digit id number and I seem to have done that for all the linking-codes...but I'm not so sure about the actual banners.

I copied the image "landing URL's" for the banners from my image directory in my LinkShare merchant account.

The surge in impressions coincides perfectly with the release of an activation campaign newsletter. hmm...

Follow up:

Very crafty of you Mr. Coley. It turned out that I had put in a storefront example that they could click-on using my own personal linking ID. Turned out to be not a problem at all because the code they actually paste into their pages was just fine. Some affiliate decided to buy on of our products, causing the credit to my account. Indeed.

ABW Ambassador
    I must be reading this wrong. You sent out a newsletter with your own personal id in it, someone put it on their site resulting in a sale for you?

Nope, that was just my speculation. He actually built a page with a storefront, sent it out as an example, and one affiliate actually bought something from the page.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager
    Wow...that sounded complicated.

Haha yeah...easiest $4.99 I ever made yet will never be able to spend.

just a FYI, you might want to credit that out or inform a collegue/boss.

I have heard of somebody being laid off on ABW cos of that. So you want to CYA and make it transparent.
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

what's CYA?

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by best123
    what's CYA?
    Cover Your A$$ .. butt....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

oh - Thanks loxly.

Sorry but I'm still not understanding this. It's not quite like what Trust was suggesting but I'm trying to figure out why an affiliate would buy something from a link in the newsletter unless that affiliate would have thought it was their own link? Seems like if an affiliate is gonna buy something from one of their own links when the merchant doesn't allow that...whoever that affiliate might be seems to come here and post that they're going to make a purchase and asks if anybody has a link and then they buy through that affiliate is here. (least I see that here in posts ) If whoever that affiliate was didn't do that, then doesn't it seem as though they thought they were purchasing through their own link in that newsletter that was sent to thembecause they assumied that it was their codethat was in the newsletter already? I've learned to check my affiliate links that are sent to me because I've already found a couple of times that the links were incorrect but not sure that somebody who might have just started would know to do that.
    If this isn't a possibility...umm never mind.

They got layed off for that? How unbelievably anal retentive! Its not even above the $25 minimum payout and its just going to sit there until eternity...mocking me.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    I've learned to check my affiliate links that are sent to me because I've already found a couple of times that the links were incorrect but not sure that somebody who might have just started would know to do that.
    I'd better check the links that come from merchant's newsletters from now on. Never doubt about that before...

I've bought from other affiliates if I don't have any business w/ the same merchant or I'm not signed up. Why waste a good commission?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    I've bought from other affiliates if I don't have any business w/ the same merchant or I'm not signed up. Why waste a good commission?
    Me too.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread