Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    CJ Will Not Change Javascript Link Default
    I sent this message to CJ through AAQ:

Could you please set the default back to HTML links since there are no plans in the near future to discontinue them? There have been many documented problems with the Javascript links so I will not use them. It is a waste of my time to go through the extra steps to get an HTML link through the CJ system.
    and they replied:

Thank you for contacting us. Legacy links are available for any publisher joined to any advertiser. Currently, we do not have a planned date for the end of Legacy link availability. The extra step for obtaining the Legacy Links will still be required. We have the required extra steps to encourage publishers to use more JavaScript. We encourage you to use JS links but if you require the use of legacy links, they are available by following the steps in the user interface. Clients can use either Legacy or JavaScript links based on their preference and will continue to be able to do so in the future. If and when there are any changes to this, please rest assured that we will let you know.

Thank You,
    Client Support
    bolding mine

I would encourage others to send similar messages. Maybe with enough pressure, they'll relent.

ABW Ambassador
    Time to head over to other networks now and work on replacing links.... I mean time to up the tempo as I started this awhile back...
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

how many affiliates know about legacy links and dislike the JS links?

not every affiliate belongs to a forum.

That makes absolutely no sense. It's like Amazon saying you're going to have to put everything you want to buy in your shopping cart twice and you have to wait 15 minutes between each item because we want to encourage people to use our shopping cart more frequently.

The least they could have done is make sure the javascript links will display something first.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Does anyone else have have the problem that nothing happens when you click on the "Access Legacy Code" button?

What bothers me about their reply is that they are admitting that they are purposely making us jump through hoops (extra clicks) to put up the legacy links. Think about it...they have top affiliates making them all kinds of money and they think it will improve things if they make it harder for them to get the good old links that made all that money.

I just don't have the words to express my frustration over this mentality.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

This may be a dumb question but why not just use the email link?

Having said that I notice if I use the email link code in an email Outlook express says it cannot find the image associated with it. What is that image link for anyway?

The least they can do is not make the pages load slowly.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstar
    Does anyone else have have the problem that nothing happens when you click on the "Access Legacy Code" button?
    Works properly for me.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    What bothers me about their reply is that they are admitting that they are purposely making us jump through hoops (extra clicks) to put up the legacy links. Think about it...they have top affiliates making them all kinds of money and they think it will improve things if they make it harder for them to get the good old links that made all that money.

I agree 100%.

Let CJ dream that we are going to use their JavaScript links.

Quote Originally Posted by 7-days

Sounds like pure arrogance to me, and to be honest I'm not really surprised that CJ are taking this route.
    I say we hit it hard and we hit it fast with a major, and I mean "major" leaflet campaign.
    Arnold J. Rimmer : Jupiter Mining Corporation

I just sent them a message asking the same for my default links...and that I would not make any more links till it's done.

Ah-don't think they care, but it'll be interesting to see their reply.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin-1752[url="http://www.salocal.com/goldwing/goldwing_tech.htm"][/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rik
    Sounds like pure arrogance to me, and to be honest I'm not really surprised that CJ are taking this route.
    CJ only started doing this because ValueClick took over. I don't really think the smart folks that used to run CJ would have ever thought to do something this rash.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

At least they replied to you Snowman. I contacted them as soon as the new links were put in place and told them they had problems. I recieved 3 'auto replys' in two weeks telling me they would be contacting me within 72 hours, and nothing more.
    In case anyone else is as fed up with CJ as I am and has swapped out ALL of the CJ links, here is a form letter I send to CJ merchants when they contact me. Please feel free to copy it and use it if you like:

Thank you for the email. Unfortunately, we are no longer adding links from Commission Junction to our websites. Although we do use Javascript, iframes and activeX links from other sources, we have been experiencing problems with the new links from Commission Junction.
    After reading the information Commission Junction has provided, it is my understanding that all existing Commission Junction links will become invalid in the near future, and replacing them with the new links will be mandatory should we wish to continue promoting merchants from the Commission Junction program.
    After discussing the issue with my staff, we are left with the impression that rather than offer us options, Commission Junction has given us, and all merchants and affiliate managers, and ultimatum.
    I must admit, I do not respond warmly to ultimatums, and I feel that being forced to pull staff members off of other projects in order to replace the Commission Junction links on websites we pay for and manage is not an acceptable business practice.
    At this time, we have agreed that since we have been given no alternative but to replace all of the Commission Junction links we have in place, it is in our best interest to begin replacing them with links from other affiliate programs we use, or with links from direct affiliations we have with selected merchants.
    Under the Commission Junction terms and conditions, we are not allowed to request a direct affiliation with existing Commission Junction merchants, nor ask what other affiliate programs merchants are active with, but I can assure you that should we find your business located at other affiliate programs we are working with, will will certainly reapply with you under another program.

We have been offered numerous requests for direct afiiliations, and request for other affiliate programs to join by merchants we have sent this letter to.

ABW Ambassador
    CJ only started doing this because ValueClick took over. I don't really think the smart folks that used to run CJ would have ever thought to do something this rash.
    I think that hit the nail on the head. Todd Crawford was the last of the "old guard" at CJ. ValueClick, for whatever reason, has decided to take CJ in a different direction - a direction that really doesn't invove the majority of little affiliates. ValueClick is a big media company - I suspect their interest in small affiliates is nil. And like all - or at least most - big companies, they tend to be ruled by top-down control and micro-management from the top. I think you're seeing this now at CJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    I would encourage others to send similar messages. Maybe with enough pressure, they'll relent.
    Of course, it really depends on how many CJ affiliates really hate the javascript or even care. Sounds like most affiliates here hate'm. Although, enough newbies will not know what they are missing, I imagine.

However, I wonder if contacting the CJ merchants directly would have any effect on CJ directly? I'd be curious to know if this change is negatively affecting them, and what they are communicating to CJ about such possible results.

Pages load slowly and sometime mess up! I have to reduce number of links in each page and make more pages than it should be (content problem!). And have to start working from the beginning to get JS links for every other websites. No more redirect and no more PID replace.
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

I just sent a request asking CJ to give us a choice for our default link type. They can make the Javascript links the default default link type, but we really need to have an option to change the default link type. It only makes sense to do it this way. Especially when there are affiliates who cannot use the Javascript links due to system incompatibilities.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I had a long dialoge at AAQ with CJ regarding this issue when it was first announced and they kept sidestepping the question by repeatedly telling me I would have six months to make the changes once they announced the final date (see below). Finally I had them close the support ticket as they were simply ignoring my questions.

Response 06/19/2006 08:13 AM
    Dear Ron,

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns. We are sensitive to your feedback and understand your frustration with the changes. Please note that we are extending the availability of Legacy links and will provide sufficient time for you to make the changes from Legacy links to JavaScript Ė with at least six months notice. We are available to answer questions you may have during this transition in order to make it a smooth one. We do believe that changing to JavaScript is in the best interest of our publishers and advertisers, as it lays the foundation for many future benefits related to link management. The industry is moving in the direction of JavaScript and Commission Junction is adapting to these changes. We hope that you can understand that we are doing this for your benefit Ė our success depends on yours.

Please remember we are here to help.
    Customer (Ron) 06/19/2006 11:33 AM
    The only way you could help is if you do the work of changing all my links. You are talking about weeks of solid work for me to do this.

And this is what really bothers me about this. CJ keeps saying how they've extended the time, but what you are not sensitive to and just don't seem to have a grasp on is the amount of time it will take some people to make all those changes and here's the point of all that....That is unproductive time taking me away from my other work of earning money, not just affiiate marketing, but I do several types of interent marketing.

Did this message get forward on to the upper administration as I asked?
    Response 06/20/2006 05:02 PM
    Hello Ron,

Thank you for your insight. Yes, I have forwarded your message to the upper administration, per your request. Thank you for contacting us.
    Customer (Ron) 06/23/2006 06:19 AM
    These new javascript links will not work with my business model. CJ and my merchants will be losing money when the legacy links are no longer able to be used (or before when I find replacement merchants elsewhere).

I don't know what else I can say...you all missed the boat on this one and I'm really disappointed.
    Response 06/23/2006 10:20 AM
    Good Morning Ron,

Thank you for your comments. If you need assistance or have questions, contact us via email or phone.
    NOTE: Why direct me to email or phone? I thought that is what AAQ was for!
    Customer (Ron) 06/26/2006 08:17 AM
    Well, it turns out it is thousands of links I need to change, not hundreds. Thank you for the offer of assistance, but what assistance I need is an easy way to change all those links. Otherwise, they are not going to be changed.
    Response 06/27/2006 02:16 PM
    Good Afternoon Ron,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your time in doing so.
    Last edited by Ron Bechdolt; August 10th, 2006 at 12:41 PM.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    "We do believe that changing to JavaScript is in the best interest of our publishers and advertisers, as it lays the foundation for many future benefits related to link management. The industry is moving in the direction of JavaScript and Commission Junction is adapting to these changes."

That tells you all you need to know. They're doing what they believe is in our best interest when I think we know better. And the industry is not moving in that direction, that's BS. I still think they'll change their mind but part of me wants them to go thru with it, just so I can watch another example of what happens to a business when they don't listen to their customers. When a network does that, you take them out of the equation. A network's role is to track and pay and make it easier for merchants and affiliates to do business together. Not harder. So they're not doing their job.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moodykitty
    This may be a dumb question but why not just use the email link?

Having said that I notice if I use the email link code in an email Outlook express says it cannot find the image associated with it. What is that image link for anyway?
    It is documented somewhere on CJ that you can not use email links on webpages, you will not be credited or some crap like that.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    A network's role is to track and pay and make it easier for merchants and affiliates to do business together. Not harder. So they're not doing their job.
    Exactly.

Anyone else seeing all the new networks popping up and how well they are doing all of a sudden? Heck, some are not new, but people are now looking elsewhere and what seemed like a small network is becoming more and more appealing.

I've been moving my sites and links to SAS, AdvantLink, AffiliateFuture, AM Navigator and many independents. Guess what??? The network reps are communicating with me personally and helping me with my sites and links. In addition, they are asking me for suggestions. When is the last time CJ did that? CJ has lost touch with (and the support of) their affilates and merchants are finally starting to wake up and realize they've also been had, that they are not getting the product and services they contracted with CJ. CJ is no longer the trusted third party provider. With the take over by ValueClick they are now the untrusted first party provider.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Here are some replies I received from merchants supporting the LMI links:

We appreciate your concerns but have been assured that legacy links will be available at least into 2007. CJ has made it clear that they are working to integrate new technology and that the creation of these new link types is a necessity in our high-technology marketplace.
    While we do understand publisher concerns with the LMI, we will be supporting the initiative while CJ irons out any bugs that might be present.
    Thank you for contacting us about your concerns with CJís LMI. We are aware of the initiative and that no cut-off date for HTML links has been set at this time. We are also aware that CJ has guaranteed a 6-month notification before Legacy links would be removed. While this new technology is being refined and the feedback of the affiliate marketplace incorporated, we certainly hope you will continue to work with us and utilize the HTML links that are still available to you.
    We apologize about your happenings with Commission Junctionís new Java links. However, please be confident that Commission Junction is working to resolve any link issues. You will be notified at least 6 months in advance before Legacy links will no longer be available.
    We are sorry to hear about your experiences with the new Java links, but please be assured that Commission Junction is working hard to resolve these issues in the near future and will notify you at least 6 months in advance before Legacy links will no longer be available.

And here are a few from the other side of the coin (no names attached to protect the innocent from CJ's wrath *LOL*):

I am aware of CJís new LMI and I am against something that makes it more difficult or more complicated for publishers.
    Thanks for the email. Iíve heard many similar complaints about CJís LMI, and I agree that it might have an adverse affect on page weight and other design aspects.
    Whatís interesting is that I have heard rumors that CJ is considering offering affiliates both html AND javascript links going forward. You never know, however, until they issue a formal statement in writing. So I guess it might be a good idea to hold tight until CJ comes out with an official statement regarding their intentions with the html code. Thatís just my opinion, however.
    We have received multiple complaints from our affiliates regarding CJís decision to move to Java Script, and have also experienced our fair share of issues with the new links as well.
    I also share your concern over CJís LMI. Iím hoping for the best, but historically, CJ changes have always had issues along the way. When Iíve contacted CJ, I havenít received anymore than canned responses.
    We are hopeful that CJ will rethink things after all the discontent from good affiliates like yourself
    These are just a few that I received....
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast