Google's freaking me out
    Google's really freaking me out man! Today I've gotten a couple hits from www. corp.google.com/~lu/blog/newpr/8r.html. From what I've read, it may be a G employee doing a manual evaluation. The IP doesn’t belong to Google, but it seems the ISP is used by Google. They hit one page twice, and I've been starring at that page for a couple hours trying to figure out what's so interesting.
    But are you still master of your domain?

Thats very likely what it is.

For example, we had a bunch of links on AdWords that redirected improperly. The ad said "www.x.com" but when you clicked it - you got "www.y.com" type of thing.

They (Google) doesn't like that - but it took them 3 months to catch us...and they had to do it by hand as in someone looked at our account and found the problem and then removed the ads.

I think they refer to it as cloaking or sneaky redirect.

I'm doing the best I can for my site, and if google doesn't like it, i dont care.

I don't think G has a problem with redirects - at least for my sites. However, the only redirects I do are in my links, not when a visitor enters through the main page. These redirects are to keep the links the same on my pages, as well as to keep track of clicks/keywords/etc.

Google does have a good point for watching that kind of behavior though - I personally wouldn't want to click an ad that says I'll visit www.thispage.com, but all of a sudden, be redirected to www.spywarefilledpages.com.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Ok, I've been going through my actual logs. The person (same IP and UA) that followed the corp.google.com link visited my site about 5 hours earlier from another internal google page with a blogsearch query string. I've had some pages showing up in blogsearch lately, and I don't have a blog. So that may be it. But I found between 2 and 4 other google people (judging by IP and UA) poking around an old subdomain. Now robots have been banned from this subdomain for a while. So what were they doing there? Damn I need a drink!
    But are you still master of your domain?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Good to see actual Google humans sniffing under the covers when something doesn't smell right when checking out affiliate sites. This will clear up what their search customers will actually find at the end of the click.... and all will be fine. Little like cleaning up the house, or your bedroom, when inviting in visitors.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    I don't think G has a problem with redirects - at least for my sites. However, the only redirects I do are in my links, not when a visitor enters through the main page. These redirects are to keep the links the same on my pages, as well as to keep track of clicks/keywords/etc.

Google does have a good point for watching that kind of behavior though - I personally wouldn't want to click an ad that says I'll visit www.thispage.com, but all of a sudden, be redirected to www.spywarefilledpages.com.
    I'm doing this kind of re-directs too, and google doesn't have a problem with it. The only thing it cares about is quality inbound links, which I don't have yet.

I see some people with hidden referers poking around my site, makes me think they might be competitors checking my site out, but I'm just doing this AM thingy for fun, not for a living - it doesn't bother me too much.

this is off-topic, but i couldn't get an answer to this one anywhere...

i put the tracking code inside the page that does redirects, but that code doesn't register any clicks. The same code registers clicks on normal pages. and this tracking code is above, the redirect code so it executes before the redirect code executes.

ha..."sneaky redirect" it was. I also got the impression that they sometimes take a peek at your account to see if your quality ratings are where they should be. I was reading some other post where the person said they had their Google rep look at their adwords account and adjust their prices down manually.

Quote Originally Posted by IronChef253
    ha..."sneaky redirect" it was. I also got the impression that they sometimes take a peek at your account to see if your quality ratings are where they should be. I was reading some other post where the person said they had their Google rep look at their adwords account and adjust their prices down manually.
    what does their Pri Pol say about this

Or perhaps I misinterpreted what they said. Maybe they meant that they had Google optimize their account by streamlining their search words etc for better results...thats what they are doing for me right now.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread