Is CJ going to keep the Legacy Links? And is everyone still using Legacy Links?
    Hi All,

I was wondering if CJ is going to keep the Legacy Links?

And also, whether everyone is still using Legacy Links like me?

Thanks for your help and time.
    Love You,
    HumbleFish

ABW Ambassador
    Hi humble, yes I use CJ merchants legacy links, datafeeds and 3rd party tools that work with CJ. I will not ever use any more js links, I tried a couple with disastrous results, I may use banner js links in future but that would be the only time. As others and myself have posted there are far too many issues with js text links, just read through some of the threads here and you will find many...

Most of my links now are just through what is sent to me in emails as its far too slow to get more than one legacy link on CJ anymore and they have admitted they have made this difficult for us on purpose.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Boy, these same questions are being asked daily it seems.

Humble, I think only time will tell, but my instincts tell me CJ (really ValueClick) is going to soon realize they made a big mistake. Many top affilates are not changing over and are planing to leave CJ when they make it official. CJ may reverse their decision at that point, but it will be too late as the damage to their reputation and bottom line will have been done by that time and it would take them years to bring themselves back up to one of the top networks.

Just my opinion.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I checked one of the top publishers website like CouponCabin.com , I remember when CJ featured their name on their website as good performer, but when I opened CouponCabin.com , I saw 72 Affiliate links on the main, most of them are of CJ. Now consider 72 JavaScript links to load on a single page, how much time is it going to take?

Hi All and thanks for the replies... Sorry I started another Legacy Link thread but there are so many around I didn't know where to start and wanted to get it from "thoughs it the know" sort a speak... So everythings still up in the air?

Hmmm, so I guess I'll just keep using Legacy Links and hope they change there mind.

So anyways, I see you got some new Avatars with "No LMI", what's that all about?

Also, if anyone else would like to chime in on this subject, I'd sure like to hear it?

Love You,
    HumbleFish

I was wondering the same thing Humble. There are so many rumors. I know I'm acting as if they are going to continue on with their insanity. I've been slowly replacing CJ merchants out, etc., and if they are signed up anywhere else, I'm there. It's all a major PIA and not one I plan on doing again *IF* CJ continues on with this arrogant behavior and goes all JS. I don't have time to do/redo/do/redo.. it's enough just keeping up with merchants who make moves. I'm thinking the holidays NOW... and I don't plan on redoing links after CJ profits from keeping legacy links up until Jan. then pulls the plug. Why should they profit from such bad customer service? IMO, the only way they will begin considering the poor results on affiliates for their selfish link farming decisions is if they get hurt over Christmas.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I found this single line from a content provider sums it up the best.

No. (content provides name) one line HTML Code uses Javascript technology which is completely ignored by search engine robots.

will I use the new links....only if I want the content to be ignored by current search standards.

leeann,

I hear you on the do/redo stuff... I think maybe I should be doing as you and put my efforts into other Affiliate Managers that aren't going the javascript route... It's like I'm just waiting for CJ to pull the rug out from under me with this... I don't feel any kind of stability at CJ now.

mrbshouse,

Thanks, that's quite the quote you got there... As Andy G. would say, "Isn't it a shame in this world, isn't it a shame in this world"... I don't get it?

I've been trying out JS banners using a site-wide include (so I don't have to change each individual page), but I'm not replacing text links page-by-page. No way.

Someone posted in another thread a comment from one of their merchants where they understood CJ was going to keep html links. I just goes to show how much miscommunication there is, even amoungst merchants and CJ. Each one seems to get a different answer from CJ to the same questions. It would appear that that CJ and VC do not know the answer to this and are backtracking quickly to slow the exodus of merchants and affiliates from their program.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

If the HTML links are no longer available or they shut them off, merchants collectively lose millions in sales as soon as that happens. It sounds like that may make all PPC links generated stop working as well as anything on a site that is in HTML. No JS here but still putting up (much more slowly now that they insist on making it difficult - one link at a time and using other networks when possible) HTML links and have no plans to use anything else. If they shut them off, they shut them off and mechants, CJ and affiliates are all SOL. The silence is deafening. CJ should at least say something.

CJ? Never heard of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar
    The silence is deafening. CJ should at least say something.
    In all the years I have been working with CJ, making their merchants hundreds of thousands of dollars, this is the first time I feel they truly have lost touch with their affiliates and merchants. Not only are they not listening, they are not talking or communicating with us. At least in the past when things happened, Todd Crawford was here to clarify. Now CJ has no voice what so ever and what is coming forth here on the forums is only due to the kindness (or frustration) of CJ merchants who are passing on what they have heard or information from affiliates gleaned from the internet.

CJ used to be a network for me. Right now they are down to star (hey, gotta give them credit for paying on time, ya know).
    7 Days A Week Marketing

>> shut them off

i cannot image it would be possible.
    as all datafeed, goldencan, product links are all html links.
    The format are the same.

they can only do is saying "we do not allow you to do it" only

Affiliate Manager
    This from a thread I picked up on ValueClick's Q2 2006 earnings conference call August 1st 2006, 4:30pm ET

Let me speak to link management, this is in reference to commission junction. What we have started to do is try and get our publishers to move their tags over to their JavaScript, because we believe that over time that it is going to be demanded more and more on the advertiser side. We are not mandating it, however, and it could take a considerable amount of time to do such a migration.

We got a response loud and clear from our publisher that they are not willing to do this on a wholesale basis, but we believe that over time, maybe it takes a year or two, that this will be the way that the market will go. So we are going to be patient with it. Right now, we are just working with our publisher on a one-to-one basis, and eventually I would anticipate that we will get there over time.

The entire transcription can be read at http://internet.seekingalpha.com/article/14792

im using the new JS links and they are terrible in terms of speed.

I feel like i'm in a prison where I can't modify or correct the JS links.

It is so difficult to change the text on them, everytime I want to change my mind about the text.

ABW Ambassador
    Then don't use them, use the html links.

Quote Originally Posted by rugman
    This from a thread I picked up on ValueClick's Q2 2006 earnings conference call August 1st 2006, 4:30pm ET

Let me speak to link management, this is in reference to commission junction. What we have started to do is try and get our publishers to move their tags over to their JavaScript, because we believe that over time that it is going to be demanded more and more on the advertiser side. We are not mandating it, however, and it could take a considerable amount of time to do such a migration.

We got a response loud and clear from our publisher that they are not willing to do this on a wholesale basis, but we believe that over time, maybe it takes a year or two, that this will be the way that the market will go. So we are going to be patient with it. Right now, we are just working with our publisher on a one-to-one basis, and eventually I would anticipate that we will get there over time.

The entire transcription can be read at http://internet.seekingalpha.com/article/14792
    I'm quite surprised you posted this after all the flack you got for closing at SAS (and all our warnings) and only providing affililiate links at CJ.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Then don't use them, use the html links.
    Yeah, from now on , I will use the legacy links for all links that I have not added yet.

All my pages are hand coded html and I am now starting to redo all the pages. If any products that I promote are available in SAS merchants I will shift them over. For those that are only available in cj, I will use js for banners and legacy for text link. I do it this way is because we usually will make text content changes more often, so when they do really change to LMI fully we will just amend the text like usual. As for banners we have only one or two numbers, we can leave it there forever so long as the merchant is not expired or we are not terminated.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread