PPC - Name bidding question
    What is the answer to the question...
    "Why would I pay an affiliate for a lead/sale if someone typed in my company's name if I can just restrict bidding on my name and make sure that my ppc ad or organic listing is the only ad shown?"

Are there any real stats out there that can be used to prove that multiple listings actually help their conversions? Or is it the opposite?

Is it a matter of a large established company should restrict because people already know who they are and how to find them, but maybe a smaller, lesser known company should allow lots of listings just to get their name out there. Any publicity is good publicity?

Thanks,
    Sheri

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheri
    What is the answer to the question...
    "Why would I pay an affiliate for a lead/sale if someone typed in my company's name if I can just restrict bidding on my name and make sure that my ppc ad or organic listing is the only ad shown?"
    My bold part... which is the key to the answer...

Since a merchant's competitors can bid on their trademark, as a keyword, via Google AdWords, merchant's need to think about allowing their affiliates to bid below them instead of their competitors. That said, it's no slam dunk on this issue - it depends on lots of other factors like brand recognition, brand syntax and common use, nature of business (reselling other brands or are self-branded), and on and on. Generally, the tm keywords are high ROI and the merchant should give careful thought to their policies here. Often, with a ppc affiliate partner, you might offer up tm words as a conditional situation where the ppc aff can't just tag the easy stuff, but may bid your tm's along with a deeper basket of ppc - a reward of sorts. In many cases, with a strong brand, it may make sense to restrict certain keywords - like overstock.com - but merchant's should be very specific (and stable) about their policies or they'll just be hurting themselves.

On organic, if the merchant tells their affs that they can't use the trademark terms in their webpages, then the only sites that will show up will be legal cases against the merchant, comparison sites that include their competition, blogs and forums and stuff that might not be positive or under the merchants control and much more. Someone will mention the trademark terms and show up below the merchant - why not choose to make it your promotional partners and have it also be a situation that you have control over as their merchant.

I'd say generally, if a consumer is looking for a merchant specifically by url or specific trademark name or company name, they'll likely find you anyhow if the merchant runs a simple and inexpensive trademark ppc campaign and doesn't do idiotic seo things. Then they can set their affiliates loose to fill in behind them.

In an ideal world, competitors, news sites, negative sites and more wouldn't show up in these searches - ppc or organic - but that's not the case.

So generally speaking, merchants should work on protecting their brand with sound decisions concerning use of their brand, not by pretending isolationism will work or by viewing search engine results as ideal, when they're not.

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread