Us vs. Them
    So I am trying to update my searching on Yahoo and finding that some very fat wallets are competing against me for certain phrases which specifically link to my product -

For example, Target is paying .21 for this one phrase (and their link doesn't even go directly to that product when you click on it - it just takes you to target.com) that I want - because they sell a product which is remotely similar (aka the titles have similar words).

The next highest bid is only .10. I wonder if I should just cede the high ground in all cases like this? Why should I bother crossing swords with some super-corporation when I can get 2nd place for only .11?

ABW Ambassador
    That's what I do. I also noticed that with Target, whoever they have doing PPC for them is not very good. There have been many times I've searched for something, see the Target ad, click on it and nothing what I was looking for.

I suspect they are using some type of automated system. They have way too many products / dynamic products I think to even bother. They just throw money at the problem until it goes away

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by IronChef253
    They just throw money at the problem until it goes away
    Maybe if I became a problem they would throw money at me?

When I was using PPC I regularly ceded first place and still did quite well.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Yeah...I just started working with Yahoo like last week. The first thing I noticed when I put together new campaigns was that it AUTOMATICALLY put you in first place with every bid.

Thats fine for some thing...but extremely expensive for others. The less specific the keyword, the less I feel that I need to be first in the rankings so I made damn sure to change them all.

Does anyone know if there is a way to report someone for camping your content? For example, I have eBay basically squatting on several of my product-key phrases - They dont even SELL the product and when you click on it, it links to a blank page that says "zero results found for this product." Whats ironic is that on the right-hand side my advertisements are appearing (probably served by Yahoo content network).

What can I do about this / if anything?

I'm noticing that yahoo seems to differenciate between product names and brand names - aka - they will let you buy up product names but dont allow brand name buying.
    Last edited by IronChef253; August 14th, 2006 at 12:55 PM.

I think the big boys: eBay, NextTag, all of those crap ads all have preferential treatment from Google, simply b/c they dish out the money.

On another note, I just wanted to add, that I've noticed most of my PPC success up to this point has been for lower positioned ads, but still on the first page of results. So, for instance, in Google, I get more sales between positions 6-9, then if I'm top 3.

I'm sure this has a lot to do with the type of product/service you're promoting, but it's worth a few minutes to think about it.

Yeah...but what really irritates me is Yahoo keeps telling me I can't buy a "brand" word unless

1. I am selling a product made by that brand
    2. I am providing information about that product

That would be okay, except I am seeing my direct competitors in violation of that constantly at the moment and when I try to do the same to them, I get things like "insufficient content" or "content not found" or "Brand."

I just started noticing this over the last week and have been writing Yahoo letters thru their "support section." I noticed that you can choose "click protection" from the topic drop-down and I wonder if this is the proper channel to go through...whether "click protection" refers to this very scenario. Meh!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread