Tracking Bookmarks
    I went ahead and added a: "Don't forget to bookmark us" link in one of my sites. I'm guessing this might lead to a few extra people that bookmark my site - at least that's the idea..

Now, I understand there is a way to track (or estimate) how many people are bookmarking a site.

Can anybody shed some light on this for me? Is it done through the tracking of favicon.ico? Or is there a better, more foolproof way?

Thanks!

The only way I know of is using the favicon.ico. Unfortunately lots of browsers pull that automatically for a site, so it's not very accurate with FireFox, Netscape, and the like. This is just a guess, but if you see in your logs that the favicon.ico was pulled twice for a page in a single visit, that should tell you something. Especially if it's requested a couple minutes after landing on the page.
    But are you still master of your domain?

Ok, that sounds about right. The only other way that I can think of doing it is via some kind of link. Maybe have a seperate link load in an iframe or something, to actually track the click (still not perfect either).

Thanks Groundskeeper Willie

Many people will bookmark using the option within the browser rather than clicking your "Bookmark this site" link.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Yeah, didn't think about that. Well...I'm guessing the favicon is the closest way to get any kind of estimate then. Not too terribly important - it would just be nice to know how many are coming back to the site through favorites.

Thanks!

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread