The UK Bomb plot and travel traffic
    Hello all

As you all know, there was a foiled bomb plot in the UK, where they were going to bomb a heap of planes in the air. First thing to say is that thank god they stopped it. You have no idea how releaved we are over here. It looks like the intelligence is getting better, which is a good thing for everyone.

I had an interesting meeting today with someone in the travel industry, who has a reasonable birds eye view of what is going on in the UK and the plot was talked about. They mentioned that the call centres just stopped ringing (except for cancellations). They mentioned that air travel bookings were very slow, but train travel was very good. This was yesterday and today.

Internet bookings didn't seem to drop off significantly though.

I'd be interested to hear what site traffic has been like for those dealing with travel...

Terrorist Plot - imagined? exaggerated?
    I rode the "Chunnel train" from Paris to London on September 12, 2001, so I might have some sense of the mood there. (I ended up spending an extra 6 nights in London, waiting to travel home to California.)

Alas, my trust in our governments is now quite absent: I don't actually believe what the British and US governments are saying about this new "terrorist plot," which seems conveniently timed to reinforce the sagging support each government needs.

Here's what I wrote on my web site yesterday (at http://www.markwelch.com/perspective/London_2006.htm)

The Legacy: Terrorism and Deception
    (August 10, 2006) This morning, I read news reports of a "foiled terrorist plot" in London. My response: disbelief.
    But this is not the disbelief that comes during the first moments of a bad situation, the "denial" phase of a process of adjustment. No, this is plain and simple disbelief. I believe that my American goverment, and the government of Great Britain, are deliberately lying and distorting the truth for political gain.

Unfortunately, there have been so many lies, distortions, exaggerations, and half-truths offered by the Bush administration in the past few years that anything they say on the topic of terrorism and war must be presumed to be false.

Of course, it is theoretically possible that there was a genuine terrorist plot by a group of Muslims in London, who planned to combine apparently innocuous fluids to create explosives, and to use handheld electronic devices to detonate them on airplanes.

But it just all seems too convenient for two governments that are struggling to maintain even meager support for their political agendas, in the face of overwhelming opposition by citizens of each nation and of the world. A congressional election is less than 3 months away, with many candidates (Republican and Democratic) seen as vulnerable because of their support for Bush's wars of terror.

If your goal is to strike fear into the hearts and minds of the public, in order to make them believe there is a danger that our government is protecting us from, how can you hit them effectively? If your fear-indoctrinating tool is "airport security," then it is crucial to impact every single traveler. Make every person remove their shoes during inspection. Choose items that every passenger is likely to carry -- start with things like fingernail clippers, and then seek out opportunities to target absolutely everything the passenger carries.

Since airlines have eliminated nearly all amenities from flights, including food and beverage service, and since flight delays are commonplace, most passengers now bring food and beverages to sustain them. If you abruptly announce that no food or beverages will be permitted, then we can impact travelers through actual deprivation (hunger and thirst). For those passengers who don't bring food or beverages, take away their toothpaste, mouthwash, and shampoo. Each "take-away" imposes not only inconvenience, but out-of-pocket cost as well. Of course, your goal is to persuade travelers that each degradation and deprivation is "necessary" to "protect" travelers, and to shift blame to terrorists and the evil people who object to our government's terrorist actions.

I am more sensitive to this situation because on September 11, 2001, I was in Europe, and I spent an extra 7 days in London because of the airport shutdowns that followed the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The very next day, George W. Bush began working to exploit the attacks to promote an oppressive political agenda. ( I wrote about this in October 2001.)

During the presidential election in 2004, fictitious "terrorist threats" were announced, and "threat levels" increased, in order to impose fear and uncertainty in the minds of voters. It worked: George W. Bush won re-election, despite the fact that a large minority of voters did not support his actual policies.

Now, as we enter another crucial election season, we see another stage-stealing effort by our government (and Britain's), intended to make Americans feel more afraid.

Keep in mind: the terrorists want George W. Bush in power, and they want their own people (not just Iraqis, but all those who share their religious faith) to be harmed and oppressed by the American government. That was the stated goal of Osama bin Laden -- to create enough suffering and anger that religious extremists could overthrow mid-east governments and gain power, with the goal of starting a "jihad" against Western influences.

Those terrorists' tools are terror and fear.

Our own government's tools are terror and fear.

We must stop this deception and distortion by our government. Our freedoms, and democracy itself, are in peril.

-- Mark J. Welch

ABW Ambassador
    "I'd be interested to hear what site traffic has been like for those dealing with travel..."

That was the question.

Well if i ever need any political analysis - I know who to turn to.....

....at the end of the day all of this affects business, and i would be keen to see what the affilaites see in terms of traffic changes....

Since airlines have eliminated nearly all amenities from flights, including food and beverage service, and since flight delays are commonplace, most passengers now bring food and beverages to sustain them. If you abruptly announce that no food or beverages will be permitted, then we can impact travelers through actual deprivation (hunger and thirst). For those passengers who don't bring food or beverages, take away their toothpaste, mouthwash, and shampoo. Each "take-away" imposes not only inconvenience, but out-of-pocket cost as well.
    Since I have not been on an airplain in so many years, I don't remember how many days the people that travel by air are going to be suffering from hunger and thirst now, I didn't now that a flight lasted that long, that travelers need to have food, drinks, toothpaste, mouthwash, and shampoo on their carry-on luggage in order to get to their destination without suffering from those amenities deprivation.

I think that:

Since people can't smoke on an airplane, there is no need for people to shampoo their hair on an airplane.

Since people can't eat or drink on an airplane, there is no need for people to brush their teeth nor wash their mouth on an airplane.

http and a telephoto
    You just have to check the bags with the toiletries, you can't carry them on... maybe we need to check more and carry on less for a while. I can live with that...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    I was thinking if I was a mary kay or avon rep I would station myself at the Arrivals section of a major airport and sell products to all those women coming off the flights (maybe do makeovers at 50 dollars a pop)
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Quote Originally Posted by GethsemeneRose
    I was thinking if I was a mary kay or avon rep I would station myself at the Arrivals section of a major airport and sell products to all those women coming off the flights (maybe do makeovers at 50 dollars a pop)
    You might think that, that is just a joke, but just knowing how some women like to look pretty after they arrive anywhere, you may have a killer marketting idea there.

Think about it!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Serge - Stream20
    Internet bookings didn't seem to drop off significantly though.

I'd be interested to hear what site traffic has been like for those dealing with travel...
    Just a FYI:
    Prices for plane ticket is going down.

Flying to Houston over the labor day weekend.
    sept 1 weekend.

Bought ticket 3 weeks ago for $320.
    If I bought it 3.5 weeks ago, it was $220.
    The trend is, as you book later, it is more expensive

But after all these things,
    Same flight, same airline, etc
    Today: $179

So the airline industry is reacting to the bomb threat / reduction in booking volume by reducing the price. That's my theory..

Might be a good time to book a flight ticket rite now

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Steady And Fairly Unchanged
    I've been taking a look at my stats and the number of people looking at just booking hotel accommodation has increased with many looking for alternative means of transport such as rail.

I've seen this before and it's never down to the threat of terrorism as a security crackdown actually makes air travel safer. No it's down to customers looking for quicker means of travel, particularly short haul.

I believe this terrorist incident is real but premature. The problem we have here is that the structure of responsibility was removed from the security services two years ago and placed in the hands of the police. I'll not go into details because I also have a day job in the public travel industry however a number of people have been caught in the past carrying out "dummy runs". These never reach the media and most of those caught are bailed and tailed. At any time in East London alone nearly 1,000 people are followed.

There is a total Kafkaesque reality about certain sections of our community. There was even some youth just yesterday moaning to the BBC in Walthamstowe that 9/11 was carried out by the US Air Force. Stupid but there you have it.

The so called leaders of the "Muslim" community want to be treated as a separate case. That's why they create for themselves a Muslim Parliament, a Muslim Human Rights Commission etc etc as if the real Parliament and Commission does not represent everyone. It's also why in the UK terrorists are treated as common criminals. It reduces legitimacy. Muslim community leaders do little to address the real issues as they do not wish to. Over 200,000 Muslims here believe it is right to blow up others according to the last survey, a minority but still a highly significant number. Our Government is weak. Blair is a neutered Prime Minister with a minority Government, hated by 75% of the population, responsible for the highest levels of taxation in history. The Government has made a mess of health and education and fails to adequately fund our armed forces and police.

Yet most people here in the UK just get on with life. We've been accustomed to terrorism for a long time. The difference here is that people masquerade behind religion to justify their actions.

I'm sure the airlines will start having courtesy lotions, dental stuff, etc. It'll be the perfect way for companies to promote their products, just like hotels. Give them a few weeks to organize and it'll happen.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I Need A Pink Cadillac
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    You might think that, that is just a joke, but just knowing how some women like to look pretty after they arrive anywhere, you may have a killer marketting idea there.

Think about it!
    Now talk about opportunity knocking!

I have just signed up to be a Avon Rep. Im hitting the airports. Get out of my way Hare Krishna, I got my own crap to pass out. It's my civilright to distribute Avon catalogs.

Oh crap, I need a new dress. Heading to Big Lots right now.

Poopie da Avon Guy
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopie Nubert

I have just signed up to be a Avon Rep. Im hitting the airports. Get out of my way Hare Krishna, I got my own crap to pass out. It's my civilright to distribute Avon catalogs.

Oh crap, I need a new dress. Heading to Big Lots right now.

Poopie da Avon Guy
    Gordo's been spotted at several Canadian airports shilling/hawking some long flight "makeover" scam. He was wearing an oversized ABW t-shirt, blond wig and hairy legs sticking out from under a mini-skirt. Basically looking like the Queen Mother or new wifee-poo of Prince Charles after a 12 hour UK flight. He goes into some makeover booth and some Paris Hilton look-alike emerges. Idiots line up for 100.00 a pop hoping for magic makeover. Thank God he's not trying that old "The Kings/Queens got a new suit of clothes" bit with paid cheerleaders.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

airlines will make money with this.

little bottles of tooth paste and mouth wash for sale onboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopie Nubert

Poopie da Avon Guy
    Perhaps one of the Hare Krishna followers will lend you a tambourine

I think peace and beauty are a good idea
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread