Thumbs down I would avoid Semsons & their TOA
    Semsons decided to go ahead and void my first two sales with them, so I decided to ask them why. They say it's because I was using Google adwords (which I don't use) and for the other sale the customer canceled the order. After some clarification with Michael from Shareasale, apparently they canceled the order because they think the sale came from their Google adwords advertisement even though the sale was tracked as coming through my site through the Shareasale link. Michael of Shareasale says:

"Yes, the user clicked on a Google PPC ad that the merchant has placed (not on your site, somewhere else). The user also clicked on your ShareASale referral link. It is impossible to know the order of the clicks. Typically, this would not be a voidable sale, but this merchant has a clause in their Program Agreement that discusses this very scenario and states that the commissions will be voided."

So someone clicked on their Google ad somewhere sometime (maybe a minute, or a week or a month ago?), then comes to my site and clicks on my Shareasale banner, makes the purchase through the Shareasale link, and the sale is voidable- ouch.

I have stopped promoting these guys, but it's also disappointing to see that clauses like that in the merchant terms of agreement (TOA) are allowed. Just my 2 cents.

One of my top merchants has some very restrictive clauses. I really found it frustrating at first until I started making thousands of dollars. Been with them for years.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    You should have gotten the sale, a merchant I'll stay away from.

"We only pays commission to affiliates for new clients. Since Semsons & Co. Inc. pays ad words to advertise on Google, Yahoo and GPSpassion, we will also void transaction if the transaction clearly came from specific link of our ad words from Google, Yahoo or GPSpassion."

Clueless merchant.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "We only pays commission to affiliates for new clients. Since Semsons & Co. Inc. pays ad words to advertise on Google, Yahoo and GPSpassion, we will also void transaction if the transaction clearly came from specific link of our ad words from Google, Yahoo or GPSpassion."

I'm not semsons affiliate. But I'm totally confused here. How can other affiliates get the commission if "the transaction clearly came from specific link of our ad words"? Doesn't merchant have their own linking code which should be different with affiliates' linking codes ?

ABW Ambassador
    The sale came from js1's link, last click gets the sale, that's how affiliate marketing works. The merchant seems to be saying if that person that came from js1 or any other affiliate clicked on one of their Adwords at anytime prior, then they should get the sale.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    The sale came from js1's link, last click gets the sale, that's how affiliate marketing works. The merchant seems to be saying if that person that came from js1 or any other affiliate clicked on one of their Adwords at anytime prior, then they should get the sale.
    What? Are they insane? I'm not going to touch this merchant with a 10 foot pole.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread