Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    NFL Season 2006
    Another month for the real thing, forgot preseason started already. Looks like they had a few games already, 5 today. Will take a look, better than nothing. I've always thought the preseason games were a little bit foolish since you can lose some key players in games that don't even count. But you can work on some things too I guess.
    Last edited by Trust; September 6th, 2006 at 08:25 PM.

You would think they were more silly if you had to pay for tickets to these worthless games as part of a season ticket holder. I wasted my tickets last night and gave away the ones for the next game for free.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Trust - Just like you said above last night the Washington Redskins lost Clinton Portis to a seperated shoulder. Who knows for how long but once you do that it is a recuring injury.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I have only one question:

Are the Bears mathematically eliminated yet?
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

ABW Ambassador
    "Trust - Just like you said above last night the Washington Redskins lost Clinton Portis to a seperated shoulder. Who knows for how long but once you do that it is a recuring injury."

Yeah, I was just reading ESPN.com from Portis:

"For whoever's watching: Let's get rid of some of these games," Portis said. "Four games is ridiculous. Then you play a 16-game season and the playoffs behind that."

"Clinton Portis didn't even want to be on the field for the first preseason game."

It does give me good reason though to post to my blog

My tickets to the falcon game the other night went in the garbage unused. I gave away the other tickets to a charity so some kids can go to a game. It just kills me when I have to pay for these games though.

ABW Ambassador
    I feel the same with the Pro Bowl games too. You have some of the very best in the NFL, lots of franchise players whose career could be ended or games and seasons missed. I bet organizations and fans are nervous as hell when those games take place.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Pointless games
    Yep Trust - the risk of injury in meaningless games seems a bit counter productive. Guess Clinton Portis learned that one this weekend. On the other hand - they make a pretty nice living, so guess we have to let the coaches have a good look at the newbies.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

The worst part of him getting hurt was he wasn't running the ball when it happened he was tackling someone who intercepted the ball.

ABW Ambassador
    I remember Michael Vick breaking his leg in a 2003 preseason game. Can you imagine someone like Peyton Manning having a season ending injury. That would pretty much kill the Colts season.

Pre Season is part of getting ready for the season. What is the difference in a player getting hurt during practice or during a preseason game? It's still an injury. The risk is there all the time and its part of the game.

I for one, felt a little sorry for Portis until I heard him complaining about the amount of work (Games) he had to play in. Honestly. From a regular Joe standpoint, I don't pity a guy for making x amount of dollars all the while playing a game most of us would give our right arms for and then complaining that its just too much work!

I know he was just upset and probably speaking off the cuff but he was referencing back when the NFL only had 12 or 14 games a season, as if 4 games in the preseason (in which he appears in a very limited amount) and 16 games during the regular season was TOO MUCH WORK? Give me a break. Its bad luck for him, his fans and the Redskins that he got injured but that's part of the game. Besides, he is lucky that this occured in the 1st preseason game vs the 1st regular season game or worse, the 12th regular season game.

CPA Network Rep
    I would like to see the preseason reduced to 3 games, but it will never happen. The NFL and teams make too much revenue from these games regardless of if you attend them or not. Figure that the average ticket & consession is $100 per person (which is probably way low) and there are 70,000 seats. That's $7 million in revenue. Owners and the NFL won't give it up.

On a side note, I remember 1999 when Trent Green played for the Rams and was injured in the 4th game of the pre-season and out for the year. An unknown Arena League QB named Kurt Warner stepped in and took them to a Super Bowl championship. Probably one of the best stories in football that wouldn't have happened without that 4th pre-season game.

Anyway, can't wait for the real thing so I can see my Steelers defend their championship.

Mark

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    I think IF they lower the number of PreSeason games they had best RAISE the number of Regular season games. The fact is PreSeason is PART of the strategy of the season itself. The teams get to suss out the players see a little strategy and figure out who is who. Portis being injured like he did MEANS nothing because he could have suffered the same injury at ANY TIME and if they were just THROWN into a regular season without some "warmup" games were they only play part of a quarter I anticipate there would be MORE regular season injuries mostly due to fatigue.

BTW Go Vikings.... (Yeah right oh well there is always next year LOL)
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Quote Originally Posted by GethsemeneRose
    I think IF they lower the number of PreSeason games they had best RAISE the number of Regular season games. The fact is PreSeason is PART of the strategy of the season itself. The teams get to suss out the players see a little strategy and figure out who is who. Portis being injured like he did MEANS nothing because he could have suffered the same injury at ANY TIME and if they were just THROWN into a regular season without some "warmup" games were they only play part of a quarter I anticipate there would be MORE regular season injuries mostly due to fatigue.
    yea, couldnt agree more! pre-season needs to be two games at most.

GO CHARGERS!
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    If you have a Dish subscription you can get just about any preseason game on the NFL channel - they run just about every game on a delay. Good thing it is my Father-inlaw's Dish - I would be watching the channel non-stop if I had it.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Any early Super Bowl predictions? I think in the NFC, Seattle is my early favorite, followed by Carolina or Tampa Bay.

AFC is wide open, so many good teams. Don't think the Steelers will repeat. I'd say New England, Cincinatti, Indy, Kansas City or Denver, one of those 5 will represent the AFC.

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    Vikes vs Pats Vikes win. (of course I am a Vikes fan LOL)
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Agreed
    Pre-Season almost encourages you not to buy season tickets. I don't know why they don't just charge you more and tell you pre-season is free...at least I wouldn't feel like I am paying full price for worthless games. I think instead of using the selling point of $80 per seat per game for 10 games I rather see $100 per seat and pre-season games are free.

I sold one pre-season game on stubhub to make something back but basically still just gave them away by charging $20 a pop.

Carolina vs. Cincy...Carolina Wins it all

Atlanta Vs Baltimore Atlanta wins

Giants vs Chargers.

LT dominates the whole game..runs for 3 touchdowns, throws for 2, and receives for 1 as well. Chargers blow out the Super Bowl!
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

Indy vs Seattle: Indy wins. You heard it hear first.

I'll even throw in some teams to watch out for:

Dallas - playoff contender
    Arizona - playoff contender

Teams that look great that won't contend:

Cincy
    NYG

Just my .02

AZ is a definite possible playoff contender considering the crappy division they are in. They won't make it past the first round, however, if they do make it. Not this year.
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]

ABW Ambassador
    "Carolina vs. Cincy...Carolina Wins it all"

Palmer was looking good in his first game back from the injury 9/14 3 TDs. Favre on the other hand, I wish he retired. Great future Hall of Famer but threw 29 interceptions last year, next worst was 17. Going to be more of the same. Hate to see athletes not know when to quit.

Affiliate Network Rep Brian_AffiliateFuture's Avatar
    i was searching through new threads, and found this one. i have found my home for the next 5 months. thank god!

palmer looked great, but hopefully that wasn't because they were up against the packers' defense. i think that division is still a toss up though. baltimore has the potential to be very very dominating this year. and the steelers are still the steelers! bus or no bus.

Hmmm...I may have to re-think my Chargers prediction after the performance by Phillip Rivers on saturday...yikes...

[B]Jon Lyons[/B]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast