ABW Ambassador
    Need advice as a merchant
    I'm trying to sell fantasy books and merchandise. The merchandise is in a cafepress store, so no problem with that.

The book on which the merchandise is based is in Lulu which has no affiliate program. I tried creating the book on cafepress, but not only will the book be more expensive, I can't even create. The book creation software does not work. From the forum, even the cover of the printed book did not turn out well.

Should I try selling the book on my own as a merchant? How do I track affiliate sales outside Cafepress? I need to link the book with the merchandise, but can't afford SAS or any 3rd party software as I just have 1 book for now, and additional 3 books later, to sell outside cafepress, but linked to the merchandise.

I've got my site www.sfxfantasy.com geared up to sell the book already but the buy links are currently pointing to Lulu as that's the only place the book is available for now. It is available at Amazon marketplace, but the images and all the content associated with it are the really old and badly made, badly written versions which would kill sales.

By the way, do affiliates get commissions from Amazon marketplace sales.

Or should I give up and leave the leaks for the time being. As soon as the books go global through Lulu, they would be available through Amazon and Barnes and Nobles where there are affiliate programs affiliates can join and get compensated for the sales and I can put up affiliate landing pages accordingly?

Quote Originally Posted by womanht
    The book on which the merchandise is based is in Lulu...
    Sounds like you need a Lulu/English dictionary - oh well that's what I get for skimming through it to start with.

Yes Amazon does pay for sales through marketplace.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks. Then if I can figure out how to update the amazon marketplace details, I can use that book for the affiliate landing pages.

<quote>Sounds like you need a Lulu/English dictionary - oh well that's what I get for skimming through it to start with.
    </quote>
    That comes from lack of sleep and an overworked, disoriented mind.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    you can sell via amazon and they will take a cut off every sale.

try checking out half.com. No listig fee but they take a cut as always.

Ideally, You would need to have an ISBN # to help them better categorize your book better.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks. Lulu arranges the amazon marketplace thing so I still get the same royalty whether I sell it via lulu or amazon marketplace. Problem is I'll have to wait for Amazon to get the new version of the book and scan it in for the search inside function again before the cover and excerpts are updated.

I managed to upload my book into cafepress (finally!) So I've changed the affiliate landing pages and the cafepress store to point to the cafepress book to take care of that leak.

I've changed practically everything in the cafepress store. Old book, old merchandise deleted and replaced with the new version. Affiliates can check out http://www.sfxfantasy.com/affiliates.htm for the new links, products, book and banners.

Datafeed now contains only the premium store merchandise with the images from the new cover. I have yet to key in the book details or the text only merchandise into that feed, but affiliates using my old feed, please update with this latest version. The products in the old feed are gone.

I posted the details in the cafepress shops thread in this forum.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread