MERCANTILA pages 50% google ads!
    Bye Bye Mercantila. You have copped my good traffic long enough!
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=RoyalBlue]He who asks is a fool for five minutes...but he who does not ask is a fool forever.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] :rolleyes:

Ouch, why do merchants think they can get away with this? I see they have a large square AdSense ad on every product page.

Any affiliates for this program should definitely complain to both the AM and LS.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

CCS.com has the same problem. They don't use adsense ads - they use affiliate banner ads. Same result of course.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

ABW Ambassador
    Who is CCS?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    If you are trying to sell something, why in the world are you having ad of competitors there?

They are sending traffic to their competitors too

On their tread mill page with free shipping, they have a Google Ad.

Google Ad link to this page
    http://www.discountreadmills.com/hoe...FSYyOAodRGeU4Q
    Last edited by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe; August 13th, 2006 at 09:41 AM. Reason: kept my comments to my self

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    If you are trying to sell something, why in the world are you having ad of competitors there?

They are sending traffic to their competitors too

On their tread mill page with free shipping, they have a Google Ad.

Google Ad link to this page
    http://www.discountreadmills.com/hoe...FSYyOAodRGeU4Q
    DONT BE STUPID - DROP THE MERCHANT!

I would say that a merchant that has put up AdSense is apparently not doing a good enough job selling their products. If they need to stoop for a few bucks a day on clicks from advertisments. Whether it's price, brand or business sense they apparently can't make it on selling products alone.

I recommend to you affiliates: If any of your merchants have one ad, affiliate banner or leak be written a note telling them why in 10 seconds after sending this note you are dropping them.

Then, go find another merchant that does a good job selling the product after you send them a customer.

Just because they have an affiliate program does not mean they know what they are doing!

These merchants will continue to do this crap until they no longer have any affiliates, close the doors and sit down at Denny's with a cup of coffee and wonder "Where did I go Wrong?"

One of the problems with the affiliate industry in my opinion is that affiliates do not stand up and demand quality conversions, sites and programs from the merchants.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Who is CCS?
    A Linkshare program, for sure.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Just thinking that it might be a good idea to start a master blacklist of all such merchant programs somewhere on Abestweb (unless it already exists and I don't know about it of course).

I wonder why affiliates do it too. Either you are dedicated to your site or you're not. Why send them elsewhere??
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    I wonder why affiliates do it too. Either you are dedicated to your site or you're not. Why send them elsewhere??
    Google will pay you a pretty penny eventhough nobody clicks.

Here is CCS's website
    http://www.ccs.com/

They have a particular product that I haven't been able to find other merchants who have it...so am trying to have them give me a reason not to remove them...but I did write to them and am not getting any response back from them.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    For money! That's what we're in business for! It's dedication to our businesses, not to our sites, that keeps us from needing employment. And, sad to say, there aren't many merchants who can beat AdSense's EPC. For some merchants, it's more lucrative to sell the clicks to Goofle than it is to send them at the merchant. Affiliate-business-wise, an AdSense deposit is just as good as a CJ deposit, for satisfying the Objective: Continued avoidance of both destitution and of employment in other people's companies.

And as an affiliate, there's no money in your wallet until the people LEAVE your site (and go to someone who's paying you for the sales, or at least for the traffic)! To make money from a visitor to an aff site:

Either they must leave and buy something elsewhere
    Or
    They must leave via a PPC ad and you get a click fee.

But you get Jack Squat, nothing, absolutely nada as an aff until they leave!!!

Needless to say, that makes the priorities of an affiliate site a whole lot different than those of a site that makes its money on CPM or some other means of monetizing viewers who won't go buy things. An aff trying to keep traffic from leaving their own site is like someone using a blocked hose and then wondering why everything they try to water ends up droughted.

BUT WHEN IT COMES TO THE MERCHANTS:

This is completely different for merchants--the merchant has stuff of their own to sell! And, they're not getting 5-10% commission, at least not if they priced their stuff right and aren't in a really low-margin industry. They *should* want to keep their traffic, because the highest-paying money-generator they have is right there on their own site. It's their shopping cart. If they don't get the highest return from people buying stuff from their own site, there is definitely something they need to fix. It could be any of a number of things...product mix, pricing, service, site sucks... But sticking up AdSense won't fix any of those.

Then there is a mindset issue: If the merchant doesn't think they are THE Ultimate Destination Site for their item, they need to improve their offerings, or even just their ego! That kind of humility is a Bad Thing for a merchant. Customers should never see anything, including AdSense, that indicates that the merchant doesn't consider itself THE Best Source for [Whatever They're Selling] In The Universe. After all, if the merchant doesn't have faith in his/her products, no one else will!
    Last edited by Leader; August 16th, 2006 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    They have a particular product that I haven't been able to find other merchants who have it...so am trying to have them give me a reason not to remove them...but I did write to them and am not getting any response back from them.
    I would personally drop them (unless they still send you $xxx every month). If you are sending them traffic, and they are making $ off them via google, they why not just use google on your site and make the $$ yourself.

Thanks Eric for your suggestion and all of the rest of you, too Probably not the popular thing to do I guess but I always try to bend over backwards (hmm maybe shouldn't have said that lol ) to give people the benefit of doubt. In all fairness to Michael. I told him I would post this because I didn't want to leave the impression he just doesn't bother to answer any of his affiliates emails. He is the affiliate manager for this program. He said he had not gotten my email but saw this post and he contacted me. I listened to his entire explanation and am trying to keep an open mind but was honest with him and said that on one page where his site is listed it would be quite likely "banished to the bottom of the page"
    That's become my own little test now. If I have a merchant and I'm not quite sure about them due to doing things that aren't umm beneficial to me but I'm still not quite sure I know enough to be sure....instead of removing their links out of frustration and maybe not completely thinking things through and burning all my bridges since merchants are in alphabetical order on my pages....I banish them to the very bottom. My thinking being that visitors can look at all of the merchants before them and if they still aren't purchasing then they can look at that site. Instead of giving that site the chance for visitors to visit first and then not bother looking at the other sites on that page. I know...probably sounds like a dumb thing to do...but I'm trying to be fair until I become sure.
    Regarding the one product of theirs that a page is made up just for them. It will stay there for now but I told him I was going to continue to look for other merchants that may have the same product and will apply to them if I find them. If I find this isn't beneficial to me at all then I won't stay with them, but til then I'm giving them the benefit of doubt that what they're telling me is the truth. Know others may not feel the same...but just the way I am. good or bad...it's my decision, so I'll have to see how it goes.
    Appreciate everybody's thoughts regarding this

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    Google will pay you a pretty penny eventhough nobody clicks.

Here is CCS's website
    http://www.ccs.com/
    On the other side of things - I pay Google a pretty penny even though nobody clicks!!!

So how do you guys know when a merchant is screwing you in this fashion - You give them a high number of click-throughs yet your conversions are just too low?

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread