Unhappy Get a Backup Strategy in place before it's too late
    I accidentally nuked my entire blog database and folder last night while working with a parked domain!!!!... didn't realize that it was basically a symbolic link to my main domain.

I am completely hosed and discouraged (and found out right before we're heading out to the beach this morning for a family camping trip, so I'll get to stew about it all weekend and can't do a damn thing about it - DOH).

Oh man, and this after working extremely hard trying to get off the ground for the last 2 months. What a kick in the gut. And the worst part is it's my own fault and nobody else to blame but me.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Sorry to hear that Rick, hope you have a great vacation.

I accidentally nuked my entire blog database and folder last night while working with a parked domain
    I guess you can't get your hosting tech to restore from backup or you would have done it.

depending on your hosting, you might be able to just restore a back up, but try it before a new back up is in place...that's like today if your sitting in a cyber cafe or something.

check to see if you have any db's sitting around that just don't have any pages to connect to...it might still be possible that the "content" is there, but the pages are gone.

Best of luck!

& B;-)ing

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Oh ouch Rick ... what a drag!

Hope you ended up having a good time on the camping trip anyway. It would be great to be able to leave it all behind you and let it go for the weekend but probably not, huh? I don't think any of us could go away and not think about what's going on with our sites, much less if we'd just lost the pages.

I accidentally nuked more than 100 pages on my site a few months back but my host had them backed up. Had to restore my site to the pre-nuke condition but it was better than losing the ones I killed. Hope you found a way to get them back!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    OUch Rick.

It mighe be a long shot but hopefully your hosting company have a backup.

It's gonna be tough enjoying urself during the trip but try to have fun and worry about it on Monday cos u can do anything over the weekend..

ABW Ambassador
    Ouch. That must really hurt.

When I lost an entire site full of handcrafted content (just vanished during a webhost upgrade and webhost insisted that site was empty all along) I hadn't any backup. My PC crashed so I couldn't retrieve my backup from my PC either.

What I did was go to the waybackmachine http://www.archive.org/web/web.php
    which happened to archive my content in there and copy and paste the pages back into my site.

Don't know if that helps but its better than nothing.

Cached copies on Google and Yahoo can be helpful, too.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks for all the replies everyone :smile

I ended up finding all but one of the posts on google yesterday. I had to install the WordPress blogging software again, but that didn't take long (and fortunately I had saved the stylesheet on my laptop). So it was a matter of pasting the articles back in.

I don't have a good way to post the valuable comments I had received on the blogs, but was able to reassemble enough to still make it worthwhile.

The beach was great though, and I was able to "turn it off" on the first day and realized if it wasn't worth the $75 that my hosting company wanted to charge me to restore the backup then it probably wasn't a crucial part of my website. But finding it on google was very encouraging and reminded me of an article I had written about upgrading memory on older systems, that I was glad to have back because it's one that I think/hope a lot of people will find helpful.

Thanks again everyone!

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Ya Google has saved my ass a few times as well.

I remember screwing up the formatting on a site I was paid to SEO.... I couldnt get the stupid nested tables back to their before status and was overconfident and didnt back up for some strange reason....

2 pages just wouldn't look right and I didnt want to figure out what planet the web designer was from....

Google to the rescue and re-SEO those 2 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    I accidentally nuked my entire blog database and folder last night while working with a parked domain!!!!... didn't realize that it was basically a symbolic link to my main domain.

I am completely hosed and discouraged (and found out right before we're heading out to the beach this morning for a family camping trip, so I'll get to stew about it all weekend and can't do a damn thing about it - DOH).

Oh man, and this after working extremely hard trying to get off the ground for the last 2 months. What a kick in the gut. And the worst part is it's my own fault and nobody else to blame but me.

Im really sorry to hear about that NICK.. that happened to me once. Does your webhost take a backup, some do and they can restore the whole thing

I had something similar happen to me three days ago. I lost half the pages on my best performing site. I uploaded the blank pages to my server before I realized the pages were blank. Had to shut down all pay per click marketing and figured my site would be down for a couple of weeks while I fixed the broken pages.

I called my hosting company and was relieved to hear they could do a site restore from a recent back-up. It cost $50 for them to restore my site, but that was a deal considering the potential lost income and the amount of time I would have spent restoring the site.

Instead of working in a panic this weekend, I spent Friday helping a friend put a new roof on his house and yesterday was spent on the golf course.

I'm very lucky I tried calling the host to do a site restore. I wanted to reach through the phone and give the tech support guy a big hug and tip.

While relieved, it also scared me enough to create a new backup plan. It doesn't help to have a single backup because both sets of data might become corrupt while syncing the two servers. Now, I'm working on becoming triple redundant.

realized if it wasn't worth the $75 that my hosting company wanted to charge me to restore the backup
    It cost $50 for them to restore my site, but that was a deal considering the potential lost income and the amount of time I would have spent restoring the site
    The company I use, ICDSoft, charges zero to restore from backup.

Also Geno here at ABW is offering affiliates FastNext. I have a site with them and nuked my database. In 20 minutes they had me restored for no charge. Charging for restore is not good in todays competitve hosting market.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    Charging for restore is not good in todays competitve hosting market.
    I thought it was strange that a host would charge for back up restore, too bumpaw. My host (who I consider thieving bastards) restored my site without charging.

They should offer this as part of their service as they have the back up files anyway, not like they are doing you a favor or it's costing them anything extra by offering them. Sounds like they know they have web masters by the short hairs when we nuke pages and take advantage. Pigs!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager jai @ Expedia(SEO)'s Avatar
    Ouch, you KNOW that hurts. Sorry about that.

I found this the other day as storage and back up without having to retrieve data or server logs from the host machine.

It is a Seagate 750 external USB2.0 / Firewire800 drive. Quite nice, cheap and VERY convenient. It also has a 5 year warrantee, but it is not like they can replace anything if, heaven forbid, the drive dies.
    http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...hreadid=311677

For other like minded gear check out:
    http://www.bensbargains.net/
    www.dealsofamerica.com
    www.pricewatch.com

Think about getting a network external drive so you can plug it into your wireless hub for network storage and auto instent back up.

Good luck and sorry again

jai

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread