How to include next record field with present record info?
    Is there a way to include the field from the next record with the info from the present record? In other words, if I want to automatically list the title of the next chapter (as opposed to using the word "next"), would it be possible?
    I tried simply listing it in a separate column in my database - but then I'm locked forever into producing results in just one order at a time.
    Thoughts?

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsmvp
    Is there a way to include the field from the next record with the info from the present record? In other words, if I want to automatically list the title of the next chapter (as opposed to using the word "next"), would it be possible?
    I tried simply listing it in a separate column in my database - but then I'm locked forever into producing results in just one order at a time.
    Thoughts?
    I've been experimenting with ways to allow dynamic record access for a future version, but it's not been easy to come up with a method that doesn't impair performance rather significantly.

That said, some recent experiments here may have yielded a way for the program to generate an internal hash table with reasonable efficiency, which will allow dynamic access of records.

I'll keep you folks posted as the experiments continue....
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Thanks for the reply - and as long as I have your ear:

I love this friggin product. I've become completely addicted to putting everything in a database, then watching it do in "433 milliseconds" what used to take me a day or so (and perfectly).

I will say that, when I was ready to buy, but didn't know which product to purchase, finding out about WebMerge was just dumb luck. I think the company could do a better job of allowing us to find WebMerge when we need to.

Keith

Next and Previous links
    I've dealt with the "next" and "previous" issue by simply adding columns to my data and cutting and pasting the records ("one up" and "one down") so I can include "next" and "previous" links that include product title, image, price, etc. (as well as the file names).

Thus, each row contains info for the current product AND for the previous and next products also. It makes for a big spreadsheet, but it makes the merge much smoother.

Dealing with "next" fields of my choice
    Thanks, Mark - your idea is a good one and I've had some luck with it... till I want to change up the order, then it gets pretty dicey. What I've taken to doing is adding a field in which I enter what will later become the page (HTML) name minus the "dot com" part, (usually my keywords separated by hyphens 'cause the program's going to add them later anyway) then simply adding a field for each record where I pick/enter the "next" record. Then I create links (in my HTML code) by templatizing the part of the link that is common and sitting it next to my [WM-Field: fieldName] entry.

Search Engine treatment of previous & next content
    Yes, you do need to repeat the entire cut & paste process if you change the sequence, and each time the datafeed is updated with new products. I think it works well, though, because I get more than just a link to the next item -- in many cases, I can display the item title, price, and thumbnail for the "previous" and "next" products (and I've certainly considered expanding this to TWO previous and TWO "next" items, or even to three each, though that would make for a very cumbersome spreadsheet indeed).

I did forget to mention something important in my earlier post: I've used this technique to create some nice-looking template-based web sites, but they have very dismal clickthrough and conversion rates. I'm pretty sure that Google recognizes these sites as "affiliate" and downgrades them. It is also possible that when it finds information about a second and third product, Google concludes that the page is not focused on the main product; Google may also decide that if three pages refer to the same product, the site is either too repetetive or isn't focused enough.

Ironically, my plainest "template" sites seem to perform better. In other words, I need to stop focusing on making my content attractive and useful to people, and focus instead on making my content useful to search queries and nothing else. This is a change from past years, when the search engines usually "caught up" after a while and ended up favoring sites that were actually useful to people.

In fairness to Google, it may also be that people are simply getting better at using search engines and more focused on getting to results (products or services). My earlier philosophy assumed that my site was part of the decision process, but my sense is that most of my current traffic comes from folks who already know what they want to buy.

Very interesting read - thanks for the insight.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread