Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is Google getting rid of Affiliates W/Own Website?
    Any Affiliates out there having problems with Googles quality score lately? I've been working with my only 1 affiliate website (?) for over 2 years now. I've had so much success that I quit my job 2 mos ago and just work from home. It's scary just doing affiliate marketing as your only source for income. I always thought that problems would be from a network(s) (CJ or Linkshare), however, I was really wrong. I never thought that I would have problems with Advertising my site. PPC always worked very well for me but now I have to pay $5 bucks for keywords that that cost .40 last mo and gave me a top ten keyword rank. I've tried calling and e-mailing Google, they seem to want to help but only offer that I pay the $5 and get my CTR up? I can't afford to pay $5 per/click and why should I have to pay more than others. I sold print advertising for years, I never heard of charging more to one person than another becouse I like or dislike them? Anbody else want to vent or have any suggestions.

Kevin

15 years and counting
    You can read these two threads, it'll give you the feeling of this board.
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=75677
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=76181
    I always thought that problems would be from a network(s) (CJ or Linkshare)
    IMHO, what's going on with Google is linked to CJ and LS. Too much cr@ppy stuff on these 2 networks.
    Just a tip. Diversify your income.

Yes, most of us who market via PPC got hit last month - some were lucky and didn't get touched. I had a couple of my sites go down the drain, but they weren't my best, and definitely not of the highest quality.

with the ones that Google has left alone (FOR NOW) I'm tweaking and improving the best I can...hoping that the next go 'round won't destroy them as well.

Also, putting part of my marketing budget into MSN's Adcenter has proven somewhat profitable.

I keep getting e-mails saying You have received a new private message from " ".
    however when I goto the link, I get You do not have enough posts to use the ABestWeb Private Message system. We have set this limitation to protect our users from unscrupulous individuals who join and spam via PM. So whoever's want to suggest something to me you have to post to this thread

Thanks Zeus and Moneybusiness, I only wish that I had more sites. I'm kind of screwed right now.

You do not have enough posts to use the ABestWeb Private Message system.
    Hang in there. It really doesn't take long to get to full privilages, and you will soon see the wisdom of the set up.

KODea, have you tried other PPC search engines like Yahoo, MSN? If not, perhaps it's time to dump Google till they actually straighten their paid search quality problem. Like many people I know, I personally use Google mostly for informational search and other PPC portals for shopping search. It might turn out that you get better returns investing your ad dollars on those search engines instead.

One thing that is seldom discussed is the amount of false clicks that has plaqued the ppc business. This has driven up the cost of keywords and adwords. While trying to learn about affiliate marketing, I have stumbled on how to bring down the competition if you are a merchant - engineer to churn out false clicks for the competitor and drive up their advertising cost. I'm not surprise if this is already happening on a large scale. It's not a clean business when it comes to advertising and competition. Maybe I'll make more more money playing this role.

after several weeks of phone calls and e-mails I got this from Google Today: (there telling me to go take a hike!!!!!) The thing that kills me is all my keywords match the exact content of my site and that I have a 4-5% CTR. I allow all my visitors to advertise on my site for free and I'm thinking that my competition charges and Google might just be getting rid of me for that reason?

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your email. I understand you are concerned about the increased minimum CPC (cost-per-click) for your keywords.

I looked into your account and found that your website currently does not meet our Landing Page and Site Quality criteria.

Our system has found that your current landing page quality is very poor.
    Sites that don't include useful content, products, and/or services for internet users are often difficult to advertise efficiently and effectively.

Based on user feedback, we've found that low quality sites lead to a poor user experience, and unhappy users are less likely to click on AdWords ads. Also, advertisers with quality sites see higher advertising costs when they are forced to compete with ads for poor quality sites. AdWords provides the best results when both users and advertisers have a positive advertising experience.

According to our review, your website is a poor quality page and will continue to cause higher minimum bid requirements for you, and potentially low return on your investment. Therefore, AdWords may not be the online advertising program for your website or business.

This was my reply:

I donít know If anyone responds to reply's but here it go's...

Will it make sense to redesign my site or is the real reason I'm being blacked balled is because I offer users the opportunity to sell for free and my competition on ad words charges... Therefore you guys are getting rid of me because my free offers? My keywords are all based on selling and I offer a free public auction along with helpful tip's of buying and selling. This "my site don't included useful content" is a bunch of bull..

If the site redesign is the real reason, than what guarantees do I have that
    The site will be reviewed and that I have a chance of getting rid of this
    "poor quality page" status. I'm not going to spend money and time redesigning my site if there is no process in place on Google for a fair review. Will I have an opportunity to actually speak to someone on this matter? Is their any way to get out of this "Landing Page and Site Quality criteria" or do I have to start all over with a new URL and redesign. Your links that you guy's have sent are helpful but they donít answer these questions.

Please get back to me

Just some opinions (in blue):

Quote Originally Posted by KODea
    This was my reply:

I donít know If anyone responds to reply's but here it go's...

Therefore you guys are getting rid of me because my free offers? Unless you're making mucho money and are any kind of threat to Google, then that's probably not the case.

If the site redesign is the real reason, than what guarantees do I have that
    The site will be reviewed and that I have a chance of getting rid of this
    "poor quality page" status. There are no guidelines to go by (except some really general ones), and therefore not much to do, other than make your site better, pray, and hope. It's also one of my gripes.

Googles Reply
    Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I can't guarantee that any particular change will improve the Quality Scores for your keywords because we rely on these computer evaluations. I've already suggested reviewing the posted guidelines and I also encourage you to focus your improvements on things you can to do provide the best possible user experience for users looking for your products or services.

THE COMPUTER BASICALLY IS LOOKING FOR AFFILIATE MARKETING LINKS WITHIN A WEBSITE. I OFFER A FREE SERVICE TO USERS LOOKING TO SELL RELATED AND APPROPRIATED TO ALL MY KEYWORDS..IMPROVING THE SITE WILL DO NOTHING..

I'll just have to wait for more affliates to complain. But from the looks of this thread I don't think alot had this "computer evaluations". Look out for those who have not.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    So how often does the Google computer check quality? Is it at keyword start? Is it ongoing? Does anyone have a workaround?

Honestly? I don't think anyone has a clue - simply b/c Google keeps info to itself so often. Just too much room for speculation.

What I do believe, and this is just me, is that the last "kill off" wasn't the last one to happen. It makes sense for them to do this in phases - instead of all at once. I'm thinking that another 2-3 months will see Googlebot coming backaround for another gruesome visit. In the meantime, I would suggest improving your sites/keyword campaigns the best you can, and hope that you'll be left out of the next round.

I just logged into adword this morning checked my best campaign and got hit again this time for 14 keyword's... one that make no-sense at all'
    " " Inactive for search Increase quality or bid $5.00 to activate $1.50 Settings

$1.50 Max CPC
    [edit] 21 (clicks) 114 (impressions) 18.42% (CTR) $1.01 $21.17 (last 6days)

funny thing about this keyword is that it matches the domain name of my site?
    my CTR was 18.42% in that last 6 days on 114 impressions and they want me
    to pay $5 per/click for quality..

I'm thinking about doing this:

that I should start a new website. (ONE WITH NO AFFILAITE LINKS ON THE HOMEPAGE) Then set up a new account with Google for the new site. If I set up a new account with Google I could probably cut my advertising cost and get back to a decent ROI.

Do you think that the Googlebot checks the entire site? will it make sense to make a new site with a new url and then make it so that the user will have to click a link to my old site? will the Googlebot pick up the link to my "poor quality score" site and give my new site the same ranking? has anybody tried this or think this is a good idea?

Some people here have tried recreating entire sites using different domains, etc. Not sure how that turned out.

And I'm sure Googlebot can/will check your entire site - depending on how it feels that day.

use Yahoo.com or Ask.com's PPC system instead. Google maybe tops but there are alternatives.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

I do use yahoo and and recently signed up for MSN. In the last two days MSN have given me a HUGE ROI...I have not used ask.com's PPC system thanks for the help.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Do a site:www.ecomcity.com and you'll see for months Google makes no distinction between think or thin affiliate sites. They hate them all, as I had 384 ranked PR4-5 pages listed there since the 90's. Down to 3 pages and my text content count is well over 200,000 words. Even the content only pages went suplimental and then disappeared after submitting a SITEMAP. Never do that!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Even the content only pages went suplimental and then disappeared after submitting a SITEMAP. Never do that!
    Ooooh, but for a while there were threads urging webmasters to submit a Google sitemap

(Laziness sometimes pays off )
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Do a site:www.ecomcity.com and you'll see for months Google makes no distinction between think or thin affiliate sites. They hate them all, as I had 384 ranked PR4-5 pages listed there since the 90's. Down to 3 pages and my text content count is well over 200,000 words. Even the content only pages went suplimental and then disappeared after submitting a SITEMAP. Never do that!
    You listen too much to that 'mad cut' fellow that is madly cutting off innocent sites just to fight 'spam'. Seeing how some sucks up to him and wording replies to him so carefully is disgusting.

Since somewhere late last year to early this year, affiliate sites are no longer ranking irregardless of whether you're thin or not. As long as you can be detected (affiliate links in commercial sectors), you are history.

They even follow redirects and form submits to catch affiliate 'spam'.

The mad chap probably boost his own ego but offended everyone else with this drastic action.

The only exception is their partners that can violate all rules without any penalty. Look at their listing which is at the top and consist solely of pages after pages of duplicate entries.

Also, in order to 'please' Adword even though you are their customer, you may try creating pages stating terms and condition and your site's privacy policy.

I heard that may also help to reduce your PPC cost but I am not advertising with them so I don't really know.

Here is another take on Google Adwords:

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20060525.html

Thanks... I paused all my Google Accounts and increaded my budgets at Yahoo. MSN and Ask.com. Maybe someday they will change their minds but until then all my affiliate sites will no longer use Google. I'm not a big fish for them ($10.000 US per/year) but just think if all affiliates did this?

KODea why not try to make free traffic, create unique site with original content and with some SEO tech

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast