Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    One feature all Aff Networks are missing - option to block web-masters IP address...
    I wish affiliate networks had this feature so that I can have some peace of mind while checking validity of merchant links.

I was reading in some of the forum threads here that affiliate accounts get cancelled due to invalid clicks

Merchants EPC goes down due to the low converstion to click ratio

All this makes me NOT want to click on my links to check their validity,
    or to verify if what's on the landing page matches what's on the links description.

We affiliates have several instances where we need to click on our own links and we need an option to block our *own IP address* from registering clicks originating from our IP address

This feature will not drive the EPC down from *test clicks* and it will not make the affiliate look bad for generating *test clicks with no conversion*.

ABW Ambassador
    Nothing to worry about. Some of my test clicks are sales, I like to test purchase merchants from time to time. Those accounts getting cancelled to invalid clicks are usually those little CPA networks and a lot of that is fraud type stuff. You're not going to get your account closed at LS, CJ, SAS, Performics because you click on your links, I do it all the time.

I was really asking for an option to block and unblock my IP address from registering clicks.

When I do a test purchase, I will unblock it and when I'm just testing the links by clicking on them multiple times , I will block it so that the clicks don't register and the EPC doesn't go down because of test clicks.

May be this is not such a big deal, but test clicks from affiliates testing links should not be registered as it drives EPC down.

ABW Ambassador
    Some networks just register unique clicks and some all. Either way not enough to have any real affect on a merchants EPC.

ABW Ambassador
    If your couple of clicks are drastically driving down your EPC, you might have bigger problems...

I can see the nightmare of affiliates whining about test purchases not registering, only to find out a year later they didn't uncheck their ip. This is a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    If your couple of clicks are drastically driving down your EPC, you might have bigger problems....
    Nothing is driving down my EPC

This is a terrible idea.
    have you heard of
    'prevention is better than cure' ?

I'm just throwing my thoughts out, take it or leave it. - thats all.

ABW Ambassador
    Best123, you claim your checking links is driving down your merchant's EPC, by default, this means in your world it is driving down your EPC (where do you think the links are counted?). So saying nothing is driving down your EPC in a thread where you want safeguards put into place to stop EPC from being driven down by test clicks.... is um.... odd?

Best123, you claim your checking links is driving down your merchant's EPC, by default, this means in your world it is driving down your EPC (where do you think the links are counted?). So saying nothing is driving down your EPC in a thread where you want safeguards put into place to stop EPC from being driven down by test clicks.... is um.... odd?
    I didn't claim that my EPC is plummeting.

If you use the search feature here in this forum and read about people's accounts being cancelled, EPC is a factor mentioned there.

Keep in mind that i am new to aff marketing and i'm tyring to learn what I shouldn't do so that all the hard work and hours put so far don't go invain.

I'm working like a donkey here, trying to please the networks, the merchants the buyers

buyers dont like broken links, merchants dont like lower EPC

there's no featuer in the affiliate network interface to block test clicks from registering

don't take my word exactly , think around it , over it , expand on it , don't just shut it off .

I dont have to prove anything to you.
    Last edited by best123; August 17th, 2006 at 07:04 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    "If you use the search feature here in this forum and read about people's accounts being cancelled, EPC is a factor mentioned there."

Link? The only accounts I remember being cancelled recently are some incentaclick accounts and that was most likely spam/fraud type stuff. When I'm working, I click over to the merchants site from my site to see what's happening all the time. To check to make sure the links go where they're supposed too. Never had 1 problem in doing that. It's really nothing to worry about, shouldn't even be on your radar.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Link?
    There was this one thread (i tried to search for it but cant find it through searc) where an affiliate said that CJ cancelled his/her account may be because of worthless traffic.

I was on that thread, I was puzzled that CJ would cancel her account on account of worthless traffic

then someone posted that its the EPC that caused the account to be cancelled.

Then I asked, "how can I then test my links with an automated link checker, without affecting the EPC of the merchant" - NO ONE Answerd that question.

Or even how frequently should I run the automated link checker , every week , every month? no answer.

Then what should I do to keep aff networks from cancelling my account if they don't provide a feature to block my ip address from registering my test clicks and I run the link checker long enough for them to have a low EPC to terminate my account?

It's not my fault that this feature is not there and the merchants don't understand or want to accept this situation.

I am just testing the water here, I haven't run any automated link checker after reading that thread and i'm afraid to run it cuz my site is new and there's no substantial traffic yet.

and when I do get the substantial traffic I want all links to be working, for this I need to keep checking my links through the automated link checker.

ABW Ambassador
    "There was this one thread (i tried to search for it but cant find it through searc) where an affiliate said that CJ cancelled his/her account may be because of worthless traffic."

It might have been the same guy that got his account cancelled at incentaclick too. Got canned from both networks. It wasn't because he clicked on his links.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    , I click over to the merchants site from my site to see what's happening all the time.
    Do you ever use an automated checker like the W3C Link Validator that checks the entire site and clicks on every link?

Or do you just manually check links here and there?

ABW Ambassador
    Just manually here and there. Of course I don't do a lot of product links, so it's a little easier I guess.

ABW Ambassador
    I was on that thread, I was puzzled that CJ would cancel her account on account of worthless traffic

then someone posted that its the EPC that caused the account to be cancelled
    It wasn't EPC, it was CJ and when checking appeared to be for unqualified traffic from dropping links in forums. And if I remember correctly they weren't all exactly *quality* sites the links were posted in, either. The person also had problems with getting deactivated by some CPA networks, with posts in several of the forums.

Really, if people were getting dumped for checking if links work, automated or not, we would hear about it for sure, loud and clear. More often, people are posting about checking links - and the links don't work or go to the homepage instead of product pages. So obviously people are checking without problems.

123, the problem as I see it is that you are a noob making suggestions to experienced people when you don't know about somethng, rather than asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    It wasn't EPC, it was CJ and when checking appeared to be for unqualified traffic from dropping links in forums. And if I remember correctly they weren't all exactly *quality* sites the links were posted in, either. The person also had problems with getting deactivated by some CPA networks, with posts in several of the forums.

Really, if people were getting dumped for checking if links work, automated or not, we would hear about it for sure, loud and clear. More often, people are posting about checking links - and the links don't work or go to the homepage instead of product pages. So obviously people are checking without problems.

123, the problem as I see it is that you are a noob making suggestions to experienced people when you don't know about somethng, rather than asking questions.
    worker, what are you experienced in ? making people feel bad about themselves 10 years?

remember, I asked the question in the thread and got no answer, and now i'm making a suggestion to the networks not you.

"Keep in mind that i am new to aff marketing and i'm tyring to learn what I shouldn't do so that all the hard work and hours put so far don't go invain."

Start focusing on the other aspects of your business that need more attention - quality, content, etc. This one is unecessary to add to the worry list (which we all have plenty of), and will likely just be a time-leecher.

Like the others stated as well, I also check my links on a very frequent basis - but there have been no consequences as of yet.

Also, I'm sure a lot of network 'folk' come by to visit regularly - and will see your suggestion.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    "Keep in mind that i am new to aff marketing and i'm tyring to learn what I shouldn't do so that all the hard work and hours put so far don't go invain."

Start focusing on the other aspects of your business that need more attention - quality, content, etc. This one is unecessary to add to the worry list (which we all have plenty of), and will likely just be a time-leecher.

Like the others stated as well, I also check my links on a very frequent basis - but there have been no consequences as of yet.

Also, I'm sure a lot of network 'folk' come by to visit regularly - and will see your suggestion.

Good luck!
    I know all about quality and content, I have built about 15 to 30 articles so far and some of them are sticky, and i'm making the other sticky while working on the coupons.

I don't understand why some people like chetf and webworker keep following me everywhere - there is no freedom in this forum to express anything.

This will be my last post here.

I don't like censored forums where people jump around like mad on normal constructive suggestions or on constructive criticism.

GOOD BYE

Don't take it too seriously...

They may be harsh, but they have the experience to back up what they are saying. And everyone has met CHET at least once - it's like an ABW hazing you just have to put up with..
    Last edited by MoneyBusiness; August 17th, 2006 at 08:52 AM.

Allowing merchants to block and unblock IPs to alter the EPC of their program will open the door to much abuse. Unfortunately, the anonymity of the Net means more often than not, something like that would be exploited.

As for ChetF, I think he just meant that the occasional test click/sale shouldn't make much difference anyway. If your test clicks alter your results that much, don't worry about the EPC... you should worry about recruiting some affiliates.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

...I can't believe I supported ChetF....

Will wonders never cease?
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

Besty,

It is as simple as 1,2,3 but when your doing what your doing and reacting the way you are you've just shoved a big #4 up your nose and it's blinding your business sense as well as tickling your brain from taking advice. No one here is out to get you, nor harm your business, we are here to help.

So take some time off, relax and let it return to 123.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    I don't understand why some people like chetf and webworker keep following me everywhere
    Don't flatter yourself that you're top of mind to us. And also, don't forget to take your meds on days that you post.

We affiliates have several instances where we need to click on our own links and we need an option to block our *own IP address* from registering clicks originating from our IP address

What about folks with dynamic IPs from their ISP? You do know that not everyone out there is on a T1 connection with a static IP, don't you?

What about if the webmaster is on AOL? Should all clicks from AOL be blocked out?

there is no freedom in this forum to express anything.
    This ain't no place for forum politics, wiping heinies and arse-kissing yes men (and women). There certainly is freedom to post in threads and disagree and/or question when it's called for.

ABW Ambassador
    worker, what are you experienced in ?
    Forums.

10 years?
    No, 8 years.

ABW Ambassador
    8 long years

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast